Confirmed with Link: Wpg claim James Wright off waivers (FLA)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Watching them skate it's easy to see Machacek is as good a skater, if not better than Thorburn, Thorburn is not a good skater...he'd probably be sup par for AHL as well then...I've never seen any problems with Machacek's skating, he doesn't blow the doors down, but his skating is completely fine, IMO...

I'm going in the middle here...

I think very well that Machacek > Thorburn
...but I really don't see anything above sub-par 3rd liner in Machacek and that's not just "last year puck luck etc"

hockey prospectus:
The Good: Machacek is a very hard-working player with a very desirable physical game. His work ethic translates to moderate defensive value as he has what one NHL source calls a "never quit attitude" on the ice and stays with his checks well.

Bad: Machacek's skating is simply okay, as while he has decent agility, his top gear is below average. He doesn't look awful at any one thing, but his offensive creativity and decision-making also are slightly below average.
About par with what I'd think although I think his offense is good for a 4th liner

Personally if I was GM I would of sent down Peluso, Maceneaur and Redmond (give Redmond some leadership time w/ #1 callup instead of #7 time), or if I though Scheifele wasn't ready keep Peluso for bruiser in games where it may be needed (ex: second game of back-to-backs against Washington)...

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wright-Slater-Mach/Peluso
Mach/Peluso-Thorburn

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Stuart-Hainsey
Clitsome-Postma
Meech

Last edited:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

...but I really don't see anything above sub-par 3rd liner in Machacek and that's not just "last year puck luck etc"

hockey prospectus:

About par with what I'd think although I think his offense is good for a 4th liner

Personally if I was GM I would of sent down Peluso, Maceneaur and Redmond (give Redmond some leadership time w/ #1 callup instead of #7 time), or if I though Scheifele wasn't ready keep Peluso for bruiser in games where it may be needed (ex: second game of back-to-backs against Washington)...

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood
Poni-Burmi-Antro
White-Slater-Mach/Peluso
Mach/Peluso-Thorburn

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Stuart-Hainsey
Clitsome-Postma
Meech

Who is White? Did we pick Ryan White from the Habs?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The jets scouting staff must be very high on Wright as I just checked Cap geek and he is signed to a $650 k 1 way contract next year...... this year he is on a two way contract with a 75 K salary in the AHL......... Lets hope he is not next years Gagnon

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

This is him at Scheifele's age

In Junior

Thanks Garret for digging those up.

End of the first clip - check out the hit he put on Salvador? Holy crap - right at the Devils bench (so he was warned he was coming), and take a look at when Salvador lowers his shoulder into Wright - and gets exploded.

Salvador = big dude...Solid!

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
big boy from western canada.has some skill and some grit.hell yahhh. don't really see why so many people are talking about machacek like he deserves this and deserves that.if he was good enough then he wouldn't be going to the farm.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

hockey prospectus:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wright-Slater-Mach/Peluso
Mach/Peluso-Thorburn

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Stuart-Hainsey
Clitsome-Postma
Meech

Why send Redmond back down. From all reports he has been the caps best d-man this year, and he had a good camp. At age 24 he is getting close to now or never time and deserves his shot if he has earned it.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Why send Redmond back down. From all reports he has been the caps best d-man this year, and he had a good camp. At age 24 he is getting close to now or never time and deserves his shot if he has earned it.

good point... it's just I guess not super excited about him being a #7 yet when he's mostly had a 1.5 years of AHL 2nd pairing... but as Truck pointed out it changes when Bogo gets back

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
What's about the idea that they bring Peluso and Wright just to push Machacek more and challenge him. Just to make sure he gives 110% and earns his place and not just give it to him now. Idk.

This exactly!!!! The organization is obviously lacking a little in quality forwards down on the farm. Bringing in a couple of young guys like this only increases the quality of competition.

I'll say this, I was hoping Machacek would make this team, but I too heard the reports earlier in the season that he was not having a very good year and if he came into this camp feeling entitled because of what he did last year then look no further to understand why he was sent back down.

I don't care if a guy is a 1st line player, 4th line player or a depth defenseman, I'd expect him to be out there busting his butt.

Maybe now Spencer is going to realize, if he wants to make this team (or any NHL team) he's going to have to earn it nightly and not rest on his accomplishments from a season ago.

Just maybe, next season we'll see Machacek alongside Wright and Peluso. All young enough with some upside.

Who knows, maybe Machacek is even recalled by the end of next week because I fully expect Scheif to be returned to Barrie.

On a side note, I would not have minded the JETS picking up Brian Strait but NYI beat us to him. Strait is really underrated and solid defensively, but if Redmond can limit his mistakes and give us some solid minutes, then it doesn't really matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad