Confirmed with Link: Wpg claim James Wright off waivers (FLA)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It appears to me that the Jets aren't thrilled with thier depth past the top 9. I don't mind this, as said by others it creates competition.

Good organizations keep trying to mine for upgrades wherever they can. It' hasn't really worked out great for the Jets so far but you have to keep trying if you see a player that might fit into the role/ mold you are looking for. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with these players over the next few weeks.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I'm going to predict that the player that is moved is Clitsome.

I've never been that impressed with him and at the end of the day, he was a waiver claim anyways. Since the time we claimed him at last year's trade deadline, Postma has played his way onto the team and Redmond has become a stud at the AHL level (getting his second AHL all-star nod this week). Redmond will now have to pass through waivers as well IIRC. Not to mention they're both much cheaper options than Clitsome, who will make 1.4 million this year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Is this Zinger's way of trying to replicate some of those diamond in the rough ECHL guys he found for the Moose? That's all I can figure out. Same thing went on last year to start the season with MacLean. If we find a useable top 9 forward from 10 waiver claims its hard to say its wouldnt be worth it.

pondnorth

Dec 16, 2005
Wright is on a two way deal for this year and a one way next season.He gives some flexibility to the roster and pushes others to pick it up now not in 10 or 15 games.OK move.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Maybe that's why teams were scared to claim him, the one way next year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What I've heard from people I know out on the rock is Machacek has been disappointing so far this season. Playing more like a guy who feels he's entitled to a spot in the NHL than a guy that's still fighting for his place in the NHL.

I haven't seen him play, at all, but the people I've heard that from are reasonably credible in my eyes. You can take what you want from it.

But either way, I think the point is just that the last time most of us saw Machacek on a regular basis was over 9 months ago. The Jets organization, on the other hand, has been following him closely the entire time, on and off the ice. Whatever their opinion of him is, I'm inclined to just roll with it.

I think they only have to waive one player to get to 23 as Mittens and Bogo are going to start the season on the IR. So they only need to send 1 down. And if Scheifele goes back to Barrie after 5 games, then they'll probably bring that guy back up. I'm guessing they'll send down/recall whoever is safe from waivers.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I still don't like Peluso because he's unproven but Wright handled defensive assignments at 19 equal or better to vets like Glass and Thorburn, so I can say I'm fine with this pick...

My guess is 23 man roster:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood
Ponikarovsky-Burmistrov-Antropov
Wright-Slater-Thorburn
Machacek-Peluso

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Stuart
Clitsome-Postma
Meech

Pavelec
Montoya

IR: Miettinen and Bogosian

Send Machacek (unfortunately) down if you keep Scheifele up for a few games.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I've never been that impressed with him and at the end of the day, he was a waiver claim anyways. Since the time we claimed him at last year's trade deadline, Postma has played his way onto the team and Redmond has become a stud at the AHL level (getting his second AHL all-star nod this week). Redmond will now have to pass through waivers as well IIRC. Not to mention they're both much cheaper options than Clitsome, who will make 1.4 million this year.

From a depth perspective that doesn't really make sense though. Until Bogo is well we need Clitsome.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
From a depth perspective that doesn't really make sense though. Until Bogo is well we need Clitsome.

Might even see Clitsome in the top4 while Bogo is out.

Hainsey did do better on tough minutes with Clitsome than with Stuart when Bogo was out last season... but the difference wasn't too huge...

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
What I've heard from people I know out on the rock is Machacek has been disappointing so far this season. Playing more like a guy who feels he's entitled to a spot in the NHL than a guy that's still fighting for his place in the NHL.

I haven't seen him play, at all, but the people I've heard that from are reasonably credible in my eyes. You can take what you want from it.

But either way, I think the point is just that the last time most of us saw Machacek on a regular basis was over 9 months ago. The Jets organization, on the other hand, has been following him closely the entire time, on and off the ice. Whatever their opinion of him is, I'm inclined to just roll with it.

Same thing I heard from 2 buddies in NFLD. Then I watched a couple of Ice Caps games, and was tremendously unimpressed with any of the forwards - especially disappointed in Mahachek (Jaffray was the best of a bad lot).

I think alot of us (myself included) got pretty stoked on the small sample size from last year. Really thought he would take that confidence and dominate a bit in the AHL...instead has just looked like an average AHL guy.

Agree with some of the posters that we need to have the competition ratcheted up around here ;)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I believe Redmond can be moved without hitting waivers this year and next (unless he plays 60 games between then and now). I fully expect the Jets to take advantage of that. Same for Cormier.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Same thing I heard from 2 buddies in NFLD. Then I watched a couple of Ice Caps games, and was tremendously unimpressed with any of the forwards - especially disappointed in Mahachek (Jaffray was the best of a bad lot).

I think alot of us (myself included) got pretty stoked on the small sample size from last year. Really thought he would take that confidence and dominate a bit in the AHL...instead has just looked like an average AHL guy.

Agree with some of the posters that we need to have the competition ratcheted up around here ;)
I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Mach last year either.

He scored a lot, but to me it was obviously unsustainable. I really don't think he is that good.

His fight was awesome though.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I believe Redmond can be moved without hitting waivers this year and next (unless he plays 60 games between then and now). I fully expect the Jets to take advantage of that. Same for Cormier.

This gives huge experience to Redmond to to lead the AHL team that will mostly be D rookies (O`Neil, Melchiori, Sol, and Chiarot)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Machacek has been so terrible he is the IceCaps leading scorer....Ive watched a bunch of the IceCaps games, Machacek has been fine.

So of us were stoked about Machacek the second the Thrashers were bought. He is a gritty goalscoring forward, hits, goes into the corners, works his ass off, throws down when needed, good offensive sense, just a very solid 3rd and 4th line forward. Machacek deserves a spot on this roster, and if they keep a plug like Peluso on the roster, that is just embarrassing. Terrible terrible terrible talent evaluation.

Wright is actually a decent hockey player. This waiver wire pickup I have no problem with. He made the Lightning at 19, he is a solid defensive player with good size. Nothing wrong with this pickup, please please please have this mean Peluso goes on waivers, that useless tool needs to go...

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Machacek has been so terrible he is the IceCaps leading scorer....Ive watched a bunch of the IceCaps games, Machacek has been fine.

So of us were stoked about Machacek the second the Thrashers were bought. He is a gritty goalscoring forward, hits, goes into the corners, works his ass off, throws down when needed, good offensive sense, just a very solid 3rd and 4th line forward. Machacek deserves a spot on this roster, and if they keep a plug like Peluso on the roster, that is just embarrassing. Terrible terrible terrible talent evaluation.

Wright is actually a decent hockey player. This waiver wire pickup I have no problem with. He made the Lightning at 19, he is a solid defensive player with good size. Nothing wrong with this pickup, please please please have this mean Peluso goes on waivers, that useless tool needs to go...

Ok, we will agree to disagree. By the way, Jaffray is the leading scorer in quite a few less games.

Player GP G A +/- PTS
Jason Jaffray 27 6 14 -2 20
Spencer Machacek 36 8 10 -19 18
Paul Postma 27 7 11 -3 18
Zach Redmond 36 8 9 -3 17

I am just stating my opinion that I haven't been impressed...but stoked for the game tomorrow!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Sorry but I think it's totally unfair that you are writing off Peluso before he has one shift as a Winnipeg Jet. Do you have that little faith in the management and coaching of the Jets that you are on a tirade about this kid? Seems awfully reactionary IMHO. At least give him a chance.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Didn't know you had seen him play yet? You're jumping to conclusions based on a hunch or from players you compare him to because he fights. I don't want to turn this into the Peluso thread, maybe he doesn't cut it, that is certainly possible, but your vitriol towards him is insanely and dramatically overboard. Calling him a plug and a tool? You're feeding the kid to the wolves before he even gets his chance or you even SEE HIM. Your hatred is baffling and at this point unjustifiably harsh.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

Yeah, my thoughts as well.

Sucks too because he really played well last season and I pretty much had him penciled in to taking Glass' spot.

From what Keith McCanbridge has said he didn't have the right/best attitude or effort at the beginning of the year.... if that is true it is easy to see why we have a couple low end moves imo.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Didn't know you had seen him play yet? You're jumping to conclusions based on a hunch or from players you compare him to because he fights. I don't want to turn this into the Peluso thread, maybe he doesn't cut it, that is certainly possible, but your vitriol towards him is insanely and dramatically overboard. Calling him a plug and a tool? You're feeding the kid to the wolves before he even gets his chance or you even SEE HIM. Your hatred is baffling and quite harsh.

Not to pile on but I couldn't agree more. He's a Jet now ffs. I'm going to give him a honest chance to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00