Confirmed with Link: Wpg claim James Wright off waivers (FLA)

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Scheif will get his 5 games, until that has passed I have a feeling Macho will be one of the few sent down.

After that, who knows.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Scheif will get his 5 games, until that has passed I have a feeling Macho will be one of the few sent down.

After that, who knows.

If it is Machacek then management/coaching staff must not like Machacek enough to keep him. Would be a pretty surprising move.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
IMO:

Machacek > Macenauer > Wright > Peluso

I hope the team feels the same way.

Strange that the org. appears to view it in complete opposite. This is a pretty surprising move if it works out how we're speculating.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, my thoughts as well.

Sucks too because he really played well last season and I pretty much had him penciled in to taking Glass' spot.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
IMO:

even if your metrics are wrong, it is ONE DAY before the start of a training-campless season.
plopping Peluso and Wright into the line-up is kind of dumb.

I hope/assume Peluso gets sent down. such a horrible acquisition.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
Hello Wright! We need you on our 3rd/4th line! Please help!

Simple play here!

It should be very obvious that we lack depth and skill at the NHL and AHL level and it's so bad we're looking for anything on the waiver wire to create competition with the players.

Yes, we need this. Burmi is coasting all over the place. We have guys on our roster who simply don't play or practice at 100%. That will change. I anticipate Noel is ticked off with a lack of intensity and this will begin to push players. Don't be surprised to see Burmi, Schiefele, Maceneur and maybe Thornburn removed from the Jets roster the second that Miettenen is back.

I will also say this - I want the Jets to succeed. But if these moves don't provide a spark on the roster and we start slow and are below .500 in the first 20 some games - expect MASSIVE and WHOLESALE changes and trades. Right now, it seems like we lack effort, competition, and consistency in scoring, D and in goal. I think anyone is potential trade bait if this team falters out of the gate. There are no more excuses. Noel and Chevy know that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
IMO:

Looking at the stats:

YEAR | RelQoC | OZS | RelCorsi | Corsi | G/60 | A1/60 | P/60
Thorburn| 0.631| 38.8| -21.8|-17.70| 0.35| 0.52| 0.95
Wright| 0.921| 42.0| -12.4|-13.45| 0.26| 0.39| 0.65
Slater| 0.900| 28.5| -27.9|-20.11| 0.75| 0.37| 1.25
Glass| 0.892| 34.1| -24.0|-17.16| 0.34| 0.40| 1.07
Wrights numbers are from 2009-2010 season as that is the only one where he has large enough sample size to compare (48 gp). GST from 2011.

Here are Slater and Glass's from 2009 since they are similar usage than Wright:
Wright| 0.921| 42.0| -12.4|-13.45| 0.26| 0.39| 0.65
Slater| 0.542| 44.0| -06.6|-20.11| 0.95| 0.48| 1.62
Glass| 0.432| 42.1| -21.1|-13.30| 0.37| 0.47| 1.03

From a purely statistical view he looks like he is on par from Glass defensively but much lower offensively. My guess is TNSE is thinking that at a young age the offense in pro will eventually come like it did in junior and defense usually improves with age irregardless.

Here are Machacek's and Macenauer's 2011 stats compared to Wright:
Wright | 0.921| 42.0| -12.4|-13.45| 0.26| 0.39| 0.65
Machacek | -0.058| 59.1| -10.1|-4.33| 1.24| 2.47| 5.57
Macenauer| -0.713| 47.9| -11.6|-15.91| 0.27| 0.53| 1.06

When you keep in mind that Machacek and Macenauer were being very sheltered and that Machacek had an on-ice team sh% of 26.32 (highest in NHL and VERY unsustainable)... This guy is 100% looking like a defensive upgrade on these guys but not an offensive upgrade.

Defensively it goes:

Wright > Machacek > Macenaur

Offensively looking at AHL scoring (since Machacek had super luck on his side):

They are about a wash between Macenauer and Wright but Machacek is better

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah, my thoughts as well.

Sucks too because he really played well last season and I pretty much had him penciled in to taking Glass' spot.

That's the oddest part here, it seemed that Machacek earned a spot at least. To dump him at the end for an unknown or two in Peluso and Wright just seems odd.

We'll see how this all plays out.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I wonder if Kane had any influence on the decision to claim Wright. Or maybe they were linemates together in Vancouver and the team wants to see if they can rediscover that chemistry at the NHL level.

Chronos1337

Jun 23, 2011
The reason that the Jets are doing this. And they are doing so rightly in my opinion. Is that we need to improve defensively over last year. We now are rolling 3 scoring lines.

Machacek is not a defensive forward, if anything he'd need to find room on the third line, but he isn't good enough to be played over poni, antro or burmi.

jets brass are looking to have a true shut down defensive 4th line, gritty and tough. And that's what this move gives us.

Machacek has been terrible defensively for the caps, so I doubt they'll throw him on out 4th (defensive) line.

He'll likely get a better look next yr if we don't resign antro and poni

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Or maybe staff is just looking to not repeat things from last year...

Let's face it we all loved GST because of the energy and intensity they brought, but at the end of the day they basically were the worst 4th line in hockey..

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
The Jets are likely going to need all of this depth and more to deal with the injuries that will inevitably arise due to many players not being in game shape or not being up to ready for game speed.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Or maybe staff is just looking to not repeat things from last year...

Let's face it we all loved GST because of the energy and intensity they brought, but at the end of the day they basically were the worst 4th line in hockey..

* worst 3rd line

They were given super heavy Dzone starts and matchups which is typical of 3rd lines, which is what I compared them to. 4th lines I was going to compare them to this season (although Thorburn has been given typical 4th line sheltered role before in ATL and it ain't pretty).

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Actually I like this signing if he can help on the PK. I was wondering if they were going to bring in someone more on the defensive side of the game. Again our problem isn't scoring goals. Its keeping them out.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hello Wright! We need you on our 3rd/4th line! Please help!

Simple play here!

It should be very obvious that we lack depth and skill at the NHL and AHL level and it's so bad we're looking for anything on the waiver wire to create competition with the players.

Yes, we need this. Burmi is coasting all over the place. We have guys on our roster who simply don't play or practice at 100%. That will change. I anticipate Noel is ticked off with a lack of intensity and this will begin to push players. Don't be surprised to see Burmi, Schiefele, Maceneur and maybe Thornburn removed from the Jets roster the second that Miettenen is back.

I will also say this - I want the Jets to succeed. But if these moves don't provide a spark on the roster and we start slow and are below .500 in the first 20 some games - expect MASSIVE and WHOLESALE changes and trades. Right now, it seems like we lack effort, competition, and consistency in scoring, D and in goal. I think anyone is potential trade bait if this team falters out of the gate. There are no more excuses. Noel and Chevy know that.

You mean maybe the best defensive forward on the roster? Yeah, I hate that he's coasting all the time too.

Edit: Or wait, are you talking about the training camp? Cause it seems on your last paragraph that you're talking about the team like it's doing badly right now, and we haven't played for 9 months.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You mean maybe the best defensive forward on the roster? Yeah, I hate that he's coasting all the time too.

Edit: Or wait, are you talking about the training camp? Cause it seems on your last paragraph that you're talking about the team like it's doing badly right now, and we haven't played for 9 months.

Arguably one of the top 5 PKers in the NHL :shakehead so bad...

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
James Wright was one hell of a junior player, though he has at times struggled to adjust to the pro game. I'm pretty sure he once may have even played on Kane's line in Vancouver, if memory serves.

A low risk pickup it appears.

Possibly played with Machacek too then.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Watched the Jets camp on Wednesday at the IcePlex and was a bit surprised by Burmistrov's lack of intensity, maybe lack of urgency is a better term. The Jets have said they want to get bigger and especially down the middle and given that they've both Scheifele and Wright in the pipeline now, I wonder if a trade is pending.

My wild guess; Burmistrov to be traded in exchange for a capable stop-gap D, given that Bogo is out?

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
That's the oddest part here, it seemed that Machacek earned a spot at least. To dump him at the end for an unknown or two in Peluso and Wright just seems odd.

We'll see how this all plays out.

What I've heard from people I know out on the rock is Machacek has been disappointing so far this season. Playing more like a guy who feels he's entitled to a spot in the NHL than a guy that's still fighting for his place in the NHL.

I haven't seen him play, at all, but the people I've heard that from are reasonably credible in my eyes. You can take what you want from it.

But either way, I think the point is just that the last time most of us saw Machacek on a regular basis was over 9 months ago. The Jets organization, on the other hand, has been following him closely the entire time, on and off the ice. Whatever their opinion of him is, I'm inclined to just roll with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00