Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Blake Wheeler extension (5 years, $8.25M AAV)

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Why are leaf fans critizing this deal when they just signed a comparible player to the 2nd highest cap hit in the league until he’s 34? If wheeler put up another 85 point season someone would have offered him 10+ in FA on a 2-3 year deal.
It’s funny cause it’s the same Leafs fans that sung their praises when they signed 37 year old Marleau to a 3 year contract at 6.25m a year :laugh:

Reactions: avsfan09 and olli

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It’s funny cause it’s the same Leafs fans that sung their praises when they signed 37 year old Marleau to a 3 year contract at 6.25m a year :laugh:

I didn't like the Marleau contract. But only one year of that will hurt the Leafs, their salary cap situation was a lot different. It's also easier to predict what happens three years down the road than six years.

Also they kind of pushed out the guy who gave him that deal, so maybe they recognized it was a mistake.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Why are leaf fans critizing this deal when they just signed a comparible player to the 2nd highest cap hit in the league until he’s 34? If wheeler put up another 85 point season someone would have offered him 10+ in FA on a 2-3 year deal.

How is a 33 year old winger comparable to a 28 year old centre. Tavares will be 34 when his deal expires, Wheeler will be 33 when his deal STARTS.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
How is a 33 year old winger comparable to a 28 year old centre. Tavares will be 34 when his deal expires, Wheeler will be 33 when his deal STARTS.

Wheeler looks much hotter then Tavares, so it is an easy win for Blake :P

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I'm saying they are similar caliber players right now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup. 37 year old 2nd line winger vs. 33 year old 1st line winger. 2 million AAV difference doesn't seem out of line.

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Yup. 37 year old 2nd line winger vs. 33 year old 1st line winger. 2 million AAV difference doesn't seem out of line.

If Wheeler is just a 1st line winger than Marleau is a 3rd line player. Wheeler is top 5 in scoring in the past few years. Im not saying the Wheeler contract is great, but that Marleau deal was/is terrible.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Still not quite sure how the fact that the Leafs signed Marleau precludes any of their fans from recognizing other bad signings.

Like, does the fact that the Jets used Ondrej Pavelec for awhile mean that their fans can't ever comment on goalies? It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishManSam

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'll chime in here, bad contract for years 4 and 5 maybe even year 3. The first 2 years he will definitly be worth it though. Trust me I know a bad contract when I see it as an Oilers fan.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Still not quite sure how the fact that the Leafs signed Marleau precludes any of their fans from recognizing other bad signings.

Like, does the fact that the Jets used Ondrej Pavelec for awhile mean that their fans can't ever comment on goalies? It doesn't make any sense.
I would be worried about the Tavares contract as being far worse then marleau. over the next 4 years wheeler will get paid 15 million less then Tavares and out score him every year like he did the last 4 years. the last 2 years will be closer but still 6 million cheaper.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Great deal for one of the most underrated players in the game. Hopefully, Stone signs in Ottawa for something similar.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Well, the point is that in isolation, both contracts are a stretch on the value side, but for the Jets it shouldn't affect the cap situation much for the next few years because they can fill in with cheaper contracts lower in the lineup. They have a great pipeline of young wingers. Next year will likely be the Jets' biggest cap crunch when Laine, Connor and possibly Trouba all need new deals. As I've illustrated elsewhere, the Jets can likely fit all of them under a 82.5-83m cap. If Trouba is traded and replaced by a less expensive D, they'll be fairly comfortable with the cap situation going forward.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What does everyone think the 2nd highest point getter among RWers for the last 4 or 5 years should have got? He is in his prime right now and the team's leader. The Jets got a deal.

Reactions: Afterburner

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What does everyone think the 2nd highest point getter among RWers for the last 4 or 5 years should have got?

You're not paying for Wheeler's age 27-31 seasons. You're paying for his age 33-37 seasons. If you expect those to be similar, well obviously I would disagree.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You're not paying for Wheeler's age 27-31 seasons. You're paying for his age 33-37 seasons. If you expect those to be similar, well obviously I would disagree.

Well in a sense one uses past performance as a indication of expected future performance. So while you’re right that his performance at the age of 33-37 will not be the same as his performance at the age of 27-31......his % of cap hit will not be the same throughout his new contract either......it will continue to decline. The key is which is declining faster, his performance or his % of cap hit relatively speaking.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He's in his prime.
You don't think he would have got that contract as an UFA? Well obviously I would disagree.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He's in his prime.
You don't think he would have got that contract as an UFA? Well obviously I would disagree.

He's not in his prime. He's 32 and will be 33 when the contract kicks in. Those aren't prime years, especially for forwards. He's either already started declining or will shortly, it's just being masked by a huge influx of talent on his team and a PP where he's tasked with making all the passes to right hand shots Laine, Scheifele and Buff. 27 year old Wheeler probably would have been more productive given these exact circumstances, the team just wasn't as good.

As for what he would get as a UFA, it's hard to say. He would have another year before that, likely a less impressive one. But it seems like the wrong question. What a desperate team with tons of cap space is willing to pay him isn't really relevant to what a team like Winnipeg with tons of talent and a tight cap should be willing to pay him.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
They're willing to pay him 8.25 and that's a deal.
Whay makes you think he will decljne this year?
Rumor has it the 1st line is going to be Laine Scheif Wheeler. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if his points total is higher this year.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
They're willing to pay him 8.25 and that's a deal.
Whay makes you think he will decljne this year?
Rumor has it the 1st line is going to be Laine Scheif Wheeler. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if his points total is higher this year.

Putting up more points doesn't necessarily mean he's a better player. You just basically said that he could put up more points if circumstances change. So you have to ask yourself how many points could someone else put in that same position? Is the difference worth the salary difference?

For example, a stat I saw in a good article I'll link below. Wheeler put up 6 5v3 points in his entire Jets career before last season. Then last season he put up 6 5v3 points. He doubled his output in one year. So did he suddenly become a much better playmaker 5v3? No, it's just that now he's the guy playing catch with the Jets right handed shooters, specifically Laine teeing up his unstoppable shot. But a lot of players could probably do that. So you have to consider how much value he's really adding with those assists. The credit for that specific increase in production should probably go elsewhere.

Consider this question. How many more assists would Jack Roslovic have if he was on PP1 feeding Laine/Scheifele/Buff from Wheeler's spot? A lot more. So we have to acknowledge that raw point production is at least somewhat a product of circumstances. And the tricky task is trying to determine the value each player is providing. As I've said before, I don't think Wheeler should get the bulk of the credit for his PP explosion this year.

Anyways, here's an article that I saw yesterday that goes over a lot of the points I've made in this thread. So I'm not the only one who doubts how good a deal this was.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
if you if you think Jack puts up enough assists to come anywhere close to Wheeler next year then I don't know what to say.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
if you if you think Jack puts up enough assists to come anywhere close to Wheeler next year then I don't know what to say.

That's not really what I said at all. That's all you took from that post? Then I have to agree with your last six words, I guess. Good talk.

Nov 24, 2006
He's not in his prime. He's 32 and will be 33 when the contract kicks in. Those aren't prime years, especially for forwards. He's either already started declining or will shortly, it's just being masked by a huge influx of talent on his team and a PP where he's tasked with making all the passes to right hand shots Laine, Scheifele and Buff. 27 year old Wheeler probably would have been more productive given these exact circumstances, the team just wasn't as good.

As for what he would get as a UFA, it's hard to say. He would have another year before that, likely a less impressive one. But it seems like the wrong question. What a desperate team with tons of cap space is willing to pay him isn't really relevant to what a team like Winnipeg with tons of talent and a tight cap should be willing to pay him.

As a Jets fan, I'd have to agree with your post.

Not sure Wheeler would have been MORE productive, but likely as for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad