Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Blake Wheeler extension (5 years, $8.25M AAV)

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Tavares made Ander ****ing Lee a 40-goal scorer. Wheeler has been on a PP with Scheifele, Laine, Buff, Trouba etc. Islanders and Jets arent even compareable. Tavares would have 100+ points on the Jets
So he should get a 100+ with the leafs as well this year?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Curious. What exactly are "elite HFBoard members?" As a fan of a team in the smallest market with the smallest arena and probably one of the smallest fan bases in the NHL I had no idea that Jet fans had this kind of power on HFboards.

Lots of teens on this board (maybe even you, I don't know) and, as we all know, younger people have a desire to be accepted by the majority or long term members. Maybe he considers people who have posted here a lot and/or for a long time are elite because people respond to them. I recognise names of posters and sometimes actually care to read their responses because they know what they are talking about generally. Some people care too much what other people think of them, even an anonymous online HFBoards profile. It can be very important to them. That's what his post reads like. Meanwhile, I may not even read, or hell, even know if you even respond to me. Nothing about you but the older I get, the less I give a shit about anything outside of my family and dogs.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Tavares made Ander ****ing Lee a 40-goal scorer. Wheeler has been on a PP with Scheifele, Laine, Buff, Trouba etc. Islanders and Jets arent even compareable. Tavares would have 100+ points on the Jets

Don't underestimate Bailey's contributions in regards of Lee's 40 goals.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Absolute garbage deal at that age. It's either 2 years at 8 or 5 years at 6.5. Those Laine and later scheifle negotiations are going go be fun.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
When I open the home page for HFBoards, for the last several days it routinely shows this thread as the most recently active thread under the trade section of the forum.

It doesn't show the entirely title though, just "Confirmed signing with link: [W..."

I keep getting excited thinking it's for [W...illiam Nylander.. and then get disappointed when I open the thread and see the actual title :(

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chevy did well with getting the 5 year term.

This was a tough one for the Jets to handle.

This was by far the toughest for Chevy.

Just some don't seem to get that today already Evander Kane level players get 7M per season and during Wheelers contract they'll be making what he's making.
While today Wheeler is one of the best players in the league and should be better even when he hits the decline mode.

He will be 33 before this kicks in this will look bad in 2 years tops

If he's a 60 point player in 3 years time he's getting what 60 points UFA's will be getting.

Reactions: pictman

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I'm still baffled that the leafs could have acquired him in a trade with the Bruins for Tomas Kaberle but Brian Butke declined and settled on Joe Colborne :facepalm: owell

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
more. don't forget the leafs are better then the jets.
I would take the zjets team over TO any say of the week

The Blake contract is not a good contract I can see the last 3yrs really not living up to the contract, remember hockey players lose it quickly and Wheeler is turning 33

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Wheeler at this moment is worth 8.25M to win a cup Laine is not at this time. That does not mean he won' be worth more in the future. If Laine learns from Wheeler and Scheifele's example he could become a great player in the league and a leader for the Jets. Not convinced he will ever get there. Great scorer that will win Rocket trophy's in the future because he will play with great players. What I want to see is if he can generate his own offence no matter who he plays with like Scheifele and Wheeler do now. He does that then he is worth 10M a year. Until then I'll take Conner over Laine to be the higher paid player between the two.

I just wonder, did you even stop for one second to think about what you were typing? Scheifele nor Wheelers at the same age were either ever even close to the same caliper of player Laine is today, and yet you expect Laine to turn out inferior despite the fact that all this time he's been by far the superior than the other two, both defensively and offensively (in age to age comparison). Scheifele was not creating his offence at age 18 or even at 19 in the NHL and neither was Wheelers. Laine at least has managed to do that every now and then. At the end of last February he was nearly the best player on the planet. Consistency will come.

Pretty much nothing I just read makes no sense whatsoever. Laine will become THE player when he has fully matured, doing all those things you are talking about. If he didn't, then the development trajectory we've seen so far would have to take major setback or he would need to get a career threatning injury for that not to happen. He's not going to be just the guy who wins only rockets, but a responsible two-way game player he has always been in his entire short career - someone that any team would die to have. Oh and by the way, Scheifele and Wheelers both have their shortcomings that comes down to defence. All you need to do is just look at how much goals they get scored against.

Rome wasn't built in a day. If I got a dollar everytime someone pointed at a youngster and then looked up to a veteran and said "if only he could be like him one day" and later on that actually happened, I'd probably could pay off my loans. He wasn't supposed to be able to score at the NHL level. Today he's not supposed to be able to run his own game and I guess on the following year he's not good enough to be competing for Selke. The funny thing is this never ends and there's always the next milestone. :) Geez, have some patience dear man.

As far as Wheelers' contract comes, yeah it doesn't suffocate you today but lets look again in 3-4 years (if not sooner). If he turns into next Toews (or even Little), it's not going to bite the franchise quite as hard because the cap is going up, but it will still bite and it will bite hard.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets wingers are better than Leafs. Put Tavares with Wheeler and Laine and on 1pp and he is a 100+ scorer.

Wheeler scored 91 points missing his 1C for 22 games......plus Wheeler was forced to play at C during much of that time not his natural position.......while having a rookie on the other wing. If it was Laine/Mark/Wheeler for 82 games......Wheeler is easily a 100+ player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Absolute garbage deal at that age. It's either 2 years at 8 or 5 years at 6.5. Those Laine and later scheifle negotiations are going go be fun.
Scheifele has an 8 year deal. Try to keep up.

I doubt Wheeler's deal has any impact on Laine's negotiations.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
It seems the only 1s concerned about the new Wheeler extention are non-Jets fans.
Thanks for caring everyone but really you should do your tossing & turning @ night about contracts signed by your team of choice & whether those will be a good deal or an anchor. You know, something that actually affects you & your team. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Deedog99

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It seems the only 1s concerned about the new Wheeler extention are non-Jets fans.
Thanks for caring everyone but really you should do your tossing & turning @ night about contracts signed by your team of choice & whether those will be a good deal or an anchor. You know, something that actually affects you & your team. :rolleyes:

I don't know, there's a pretty vocal segment of the Jets fan base that doesn't seem to like this deal.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I just wonder, did you even stop for one second to think about what you were typing? Scheifele nor Wheelers at the same age were either ever even close to the same caliper of player Laine is today, and yet you expect Laine to turn out inferior despite the fact that all this time he's been by far the superior than the other two, both defensively and offensively (in age to age comparison). Scheifele was not creating his offence at age 18 or even at 19 in the NHL and neither was Wheelers. Laine at least has managed to do that every now and then. At the end of last February he was nearly the best player on the planet. Consistency will come.

Pretty much nothing I just read makes no sense whatsoever. Laine will become THE player when he has fully matured, doing all those things you are talking about. If he didn't, then the development trajectory we've seen so far would have to take major setback or he would need to get a career threatning injury for that not to happen. He's not going to be just the guy who wins only rockets, but a responsible two-way game player he has always been in his entire short career - someone that any team would die to have. Oh and by the way, Scheifele and Wheelers both have their shortcomings that comes down to defence. All you need to do is just look at how much goals they get scored against.

Rome wasn't built in a day. If I got a dollar everytime someone pointed at a youngster and then looked up to a veteran and said "if only he could be like him one day" and later on that actually happened, I'd probably could pay off my loans. He wasn't supposed to be able to score at the NHL level. Today he's not supposed to be able to run his own game and I guess on the following year he's not good enough to be competing for Selke. The funny thing is this never ends and there's always the next milestone. :) Geez, have some patience dear man.

As far as Wheelers' contract comes, yeah it doesn't suffocate you today but lets look again in 3-4 years (if not sooner). If he turns into next Toews (or even Little), it's not going to bite the franchise quite as hard because the cap is going up, but it will still bite and it will bite hard.

Blah Blah Balh. I heard it all before. Laine may someday become a great player but he is not there yet. Wheeler, Scheifele and Helly are the key to a SC for the Jets. Unlike you I am not a fan of one particular player. I am a Jet fan that wants to see the Jets win it all NOW. Wheeler gives the Jets that, Laine doesn't yet. Good signing for the Jets to win it all. Jets without Wheeler is a much poorer team then without Laine. If you can not see this then you don't understand hockey.

The Jets need Wheeler to teach players like Laine, Ehlers, Conner, Roslo, Vesalainen, Niku, Appleton and other young players on how to play in the NHL and succeed. His value is much more then just being their best player but the example he is to the young guys. Laine will become a better player in the long run because of Wheeler. This is why the Jets resign him for the money they are paying. Jets management know that their young players will be better in the long run with a captain like wheeler then without him so Wheeler may not be worth his pay in year 4 and 5 of the contract but what he brings to the team and what he has already done is worth that pay check.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Blah Blah Balh. I heard it all before. Laine may someday become a great player but he is not there yet. Wheeler, Scheifele and Helly are the key to a SC for the Jets. Unlike you I am not a fan of one particular player. I am a Jet fan that wants to see the Jets win it all NOW. Wheeler gives the Jets that, Laine doesn't yet. Good signing for the Jets to win it all. Jets without Wheeler is a much poorer team then without Laine. If you can not see this then you don't understand hockey.

The Jets need Wheeler to teach players like Laine, Ehlers, Conner, Roslo, Vesalainen, Niku, Appleton and other young players on how to play in the NHL and succeed. His value is much more then just being their best player but the example he is to the young guys. Laine will become a better player in the long run because of Wheeler. This is why the Jets resign him for the money they are paying. Jets management know that their young players will be better in the long run with a captain like wheeler then without him so Wheeler may not be worth his pay in year 4 and 5 of the contract but what he brings to the team and what he has already done is worth that pay check.

Are you frigging kidding me? 19 year old kid who finishes 2nd in the rocket race and has 2nd most goals since entering the league is not a great player? Well, I'm so sorry if he's been such a disappointment, but I suppose some have realistic and some have other-worldly expectations for Patrik Laine. And here I was thinking that maybe some of the biggest Laine fans had some pretty hefty hopes for him, cause this right here breaks even the best of them. 44 goals with second line minutes while playing extremely cautious and mistake-free season where his line never soaked up much goals no matter who centered it - should be more than most could ever hope for. Let alone passing some old time greats in the all-time scoring charts. Anyway, I guess one cannot always answer to every single benchmark that the fans may day-dream.

Wheelers gives what exactly? Didn't he just lose the conference finals with the rest of the team while this was supposed to be the year (quoting his own words). The Jets should already have the Cup if things worked as they were planned, but in reality his statements anymore than his appearance won't guarantee a thing. Wheelers played over 20+ min/game and in the end he was 5th in P/60 and 8th in primary points while narrowed down to his own team alone. Based on the numbers one could easily argue that there were a punch of players in the team who could have scored even more points if they were given the same chances. I think you are somewhat blinded of how much of a work horse he is and think all that north-south fast tempo game makes him "great". However how one looks on the ice has got nothing to do with how efficient he is in either direction. Nor does speed and physicality make one great defensive zone player. The top line C-S-W where soaking up goals the entire year and Wheelers definitely wasn't some defensive dynamo making right decisions time and time again. Just do some simple research on his GA and you'll find the answers. Also since you're so obsessed with bringing Laine into the discussion why don't you check their +/- differential while you're at it and how does that look and to who's favour? Point-wise Wheelers had a career year but otherwise it wasn't anything spectacular. When you're slotted into all-situation type of a role and play in one of the top offensive teams in the league with elite center, you're abound to get points. This part you already know but points reflect to salary and now they are paying him like he was UFA with insane term and AVV all things considered, including the age.

I think the kids will be alright and all this talk about captaincy (who didn't even give a discount to his own team) is so largely exaggerated that it's almost amusing. Almost as amusing as to call him the best player of the team when Scheifele already is far ahead of him (while he too needs to work on the defensive aspects of the game). Nevermind tutoring the youngsters to become great when pretty much none of them play anywhere near the same style of hockey. Let alone someone like Laine who has always been great, just in a different way. Oh and I'm sure he was thinking about those same exact kids who needed to learn how to play hockey when "he left money on the table" (his own words) to make sure each and every one of them could get re-signed later on, right? Quite a role model I'd say. :)

I didn't even bother with your earlier remark regarding the Connor > Laine cause it sounds as ludicrous as it actually is. I mean when you have someone like Connor in the team, why even bother wasting good old (and soon gravely needed) $/cap space on someone else that's going to cost you a fortune.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Why are leaf fans critizing this deal when they just signed a comparible player to the 2nd highest cap hit in the league until he’s 34? If wheeler put up another 85 point season someone would have offered him 10+ in FA on a 2-3 year deal.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And I never said it wasn't. For some reason, a Jets fan wanted to start a pissing match over the one small negative comment in my post, that otherwise praised Wheeler. Generally, the back-end of these deals isn't going to be perfect.

I thought your OP was both respectful and spot on and I am a Jets fan. This was a complicated deal that I am not thrilled with but it had to happen.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Great contract for Wheeler and the Jets have a top 10 player for a wee bit of a discount. I think Chevy said the only signing bonus is in year one.
10m
6.5m
10m
6.5m
8.25m
Work stoppage protected.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Great contract for Wheeler and the Jets have a top 10 player for a wee bit of a discount. I think Chevy said the only signing bonus is in year one.
10m
6.5m
10m
6.5m
8.25m
Work stoppage protected.

Years 1-3 Wheeler will absolutely be worth his cap hit, like all these older player deals the question mark will be years 4 & 5......but at that point it isn’t that important bc our peak window is the next 3-4 years which is perfect.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Barring injuries, Wheeler will produce until the end of his contract. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he improved on the 91 points. If Scheif stay healthy all year (plays at least 75g) and KC (or whatever LWer plays there) has a big season, I can see a ton of points coming from that line. I'd love to see Laine on the LW but it might be smarter to play him on the 2nd line and not always get the heavy checking.

Chevy has supplied Maurice with a ton of choices for 3 lines because I think the Copp-Lowry-Tanev line is a given with a very slight chance that Tanev sits and someone else takes his spot on the checking line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad