Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Adam Lowry signs extension with the Jets (5 years, $3.25M AAV)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't mind the deal. For Lowry ideally I wanted 3-4 years, but the low-cap hit at 5 year isn't bad. he has an extensive injury history, and his style of play might lead to his play not aging gracefully as he enters his 30s. But, he's the typical player that GM's overvalue in UFA. Big, physical, defensive/shut-down C that can put up offense at 5v5 (although is inconsistent at year to year).

His value is truly defensively though.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah go back to page 1 of this thread and Jet fans talking about who gets exposed. So your own fans don't know their own players huh?
Which Jets forwards would you keep?

I decided I should double check all these Jet fans that said Copp is going to be lost in expansion. They don't exist. Why would you lie about that?

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So I dont know anything about Copp now? Copp is a nice player dont get me wrong. But let's be real here. He has played 400 NHL games and this is by far his best year. Like I said its doubtful someone pays a first for a guy who previously never broke 30 points. The rest of his game is good but if he continues to put up points then his value definitely increases.

Peg fans now think you might lose him to expansion but somehow he is worth a 1st round pick? Come on. I dont think my valuation is far off in a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

You think he nets a first?
You'd have to go all the way back to *checks notes* last year to find an example of a player never reaching 30 points netting a 1st round pick. In fact, that player hit 20 points for the first time in his career last season. And he's older than Copp. Then factor in that Copp is over a 60 point pace this year. Yeah, I definitely think he could/should net a 1st.

Reactions: snowkiddin

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Has the makings of an overpayment from a career year, imo. Though, I really haven’t watched him this year, so maybe he just has improved a ton
Strange take.

Lowry isn't getting this contract because of point production. Would have got the same contract a year ago. He had a higher PPG in 2017/18 too.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Jets just need to get players in the door and lock it and the Stockholm syndrome kicks in.

It's funny how well they do resigning players Vs getting free agents.

I think it is a Canada wide thing tbh. The Habs are similar, very hard to get UFA's but retaining players we trade for is fairly common.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
You'd have to go all the way back to *checks notes* last year to find an example of a player never reaching 30 points netting a 1st round pick. In fact, that player hit 20 points for the first time in his career last season. And he's older than Copp. Then factor in that Copp is over a 60 point pace this year. Yeah, I definitely think he could/should net a 1st.

Wow and *check notes* this year a former Hart winner and former 93 point player didn't net a first. Its almost like you can't point to one trade and think that will be the return. Way more players who get traded with career norms of less than 30 points don't get a 1st round pick. Also from the value of Copp thread its pretty clear a team isn't going to give up a first and sign him.

Seriously tell me which team will give a first and sign him to a fair contract? I will wait.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Wow and *check notes* this year a former Hart winner and former 93 point player didn't net a first. Its almost like you can't point to one trade and think that will be the return. Way more players who get traded with career norms of less than 30 points don't get a 1st round pick. Also from the value of Copp thread its pretty clear a team isn't going to give up a first and sign him.

Seriously tell me which team will give a first and sign him to a fair contract? I will wait.
The player that nixed trades until he got to go where he wanted probably isn't the best example to go with. How about we go with Foligno, who went for a 1st and 2 4ths, despite not producing to the level that Copp is right now for 6 years, despite playing more per game and being used in a more offensive role?

Reactions: snowkiddin

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
The player that nixed trades until he got to go where he wanted probably isn't the best example to go with. How about we go with Foligno, who went for a 1st and 2 4ths, despite not producing to the level that Copp is right now for 6 years, despite playing more per game and being used in a more offensive role?

How about we not ignore the fact that trade had everything to do with retention. Plus Foligno has been much more of an offensive player in his career. How many 30 point seasons has he had in his career compared to Copp? You are also ignoring the fact he needs a new contract.

Please tell me the team that is giving up a 1st and signing Copp?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
How about we not ignore the fact that trade had everything to do with retention. Plus Foligno has been much more of an offensive player in his career. How many 30 point seasons has he had in his career compared to Copp? You are also ignoring the fact he needs a new contract.

I like Foligno and think he's a great pick up for the Leafs, but right now, Copp is a better player than Foligno, is 7 years younger, and is under team control as an RFA. Copp is a much more valuable asset than Foligno.

Reactions: TS Quint

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
How any 3rd line centers make 4.5? Not many I would think. He seems to be fairly paid for a 3rd line C.
There's 3rd line centers like Kyle Turris and then 3rd line centers like Lowry. Adam Lowry is the kind of player you put out against a big number 1 center and he plays him to a draw. I equate him to Backlund. He doesn't bring the 50 points Backlund does, but he plays a shutdown game in the same way and is a much bigger body. He makes any team he's on better.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I like Foligno and think he's a great pick up for the Leafs, but right now, Copp is a better player than Foligno, is 7 years younger, and is under team control as an RFA. Copp is a much more valuable asset than Foligno.

Now tell me about their contracts. Is Copp playing for 1.375 mill? Nope he got a first because of his salary. Copp isn't getting a first. If you think so who is giving up a first and paying him off his best year ever?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Now tell me about their contracts. Is Copp playing for 1.375 mill? Nope he got a first because of his salary. Copp isn't getting a first. If you think so who is giving up a first and paying him off his best year ever?

He's a 3 month rental. You don't think a comparable or better, much younger player with term / team control has more value?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
He's a 3 month rental. You don't think a comparable or better, much younger player with term / team control has more value?

On ice, Copp is certainly the better player. Career year and you can move him into many different roles.

That said, the Leafs traded for Foligno partially for his veteran presence. He was the captain of CBJ and would presumably add some leadership to a team that has underperformed in the playoffs.

So, I think comparing Copp to Foligno isn’t really appropriate. They bring different strengths to the table.

Since this is the Lowry thread, and we have a recent thread about Copp’s value, maybe take this discussion there.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Fair points but Troubas agent got Trouba overpaid. If he signs a team friendly deal i dont see them trading him and if he wants 5 mill I don't see a contender giving him that contract and a first round pick. If he also knows he is going to get traded he won't take a team friendly deal. I dont see either side of that scenario where he gets a first.

We can agree to disagree though.

As a Jet fan I agree with you. Copp is not a 5M dollar player and he is not worth a 1st round pick.

Copp is a very valuable player that can play up and down any teams line up. He is a hard worker that plays good shut down D and is great on the PK. He can supply bottom 6 scoring on a good team and 2nd line scoring on a bad team. Over all Copp is a very good 3rd line player. I'd love for the Jets to resign him but if his ask is over 4M AAV I say trade him this off season for whatever the Jets can get for him.

If Copp sign a team friendly deal the Jets will hold on to him. If he insists to go to the FA route the Jets trade him for a 3 pick at best. Most likely a 4th.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
As a Jet fan I agree with you. Copp is not a 5M dollar player and he is not worth a 1st round pick.

Copp is a very valuable player that can play up and down any teams line up. He is a hard worker that plays good shut down D and is great on the PK. He can supply bottom 6 scoring on a good team and 2nd line scoring on a bad team. Over all Copp is a very good 3rd line player. I'd love for the Jets to resign him but if his ask is over 4M AAV I say trade him this off season for whatever the Jets can get for him.

If Copp sign a team friendly deal the Jets will hold on to him. If he insists to go to the FA route the Jets trade him for a 3 pick at best. Most likely a 4th.
While I also agree that he's not worth a first round pick, as a jets fan I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd. He's what you hope a second round pick turns into

Of course, that's in a vacuum where the XD and contract negotiations aren't factored in

Sorry to veer off topic (this thread is about lowry and his AWESOME new contract)

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014

In that situation no it doesn't and he doesn't have term he is a RFA and is going to seek a payday on his career year. Cap hit matters in a cap world. Again you have a player coming off a career year that could seek a contract that could very easily become a good contract or a bad contract. In this thread alone you have Jet fans saying if he asks for too much to get rid of him. Copp is a good player but I wouldn't want him on my team for 5 mill a year. Not saying he gets that because I dont think he does but silly contracts have been signed before.

That Foligno deal is 100% about his salary. Foligno is a proven commodity while Copp has been great this year you don't know if you are getting the first 360 games of his career Copp or the last 45ish.

I also noticed no one is giving an example of a team that will give up a 1st and sign him to fair market value contract. Its because you and I both know that teams fans will chime in and say absolutely not.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014

You and I think exactly the same. Good solid player that a lot of teams would absolutely want but at a certain cost and that cost is not a 1st round pick. His contract demands are going to be interesting.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
While I also agree that he's not worth a first round pick, as a jets fan I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd. He's what you hope a second round pick turns into

Of course, that's in a vacuum where the XD and contract negotiations aren't factored in

Sorry to veer off topic (this thread is about lowry and his AWESOME new contract)

I totally agree with you but that was not my point. Copp is absolutely worth a 2nd round pick in a vaccum but after this year Copp has 1 more year left as a RFA. If he plans to go to UFA then no team will give the Jets a 2nd for him. If he signs a team friendly deal for lets say 3.75 X 4 years then the Jets will not trade him and protect him in the XD. Copp is worth more to the Jets then Appleton or Harkins

BTW I love the Lowry deal. The Jets got him probably for a 1m less AAV then he would of got in the open market. Also I had mention before that I thought the Jets could only sign one of either Lowry or Copp and the Jets needed to keep Lowry at all cost. Lowry is way more valuable to the team then Copp is. Now that Lowry is signed for a very friendly team contract as long as Copp is not asking for the moon there is still a chance the Jets can keep both players.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
That Foligno deal is 100% about his salary.

Huh. Let's take a look at that suggestion.

San Jose ate 25% of the contract. They also gave up Noesen (28 years old, toiling in the AHL - a negligible piece), and received a fourth round pick.

CBJ ate 50% of the contract. Let's say that is worth two fourth round picks (double what SJ got), or if you think Noesen has some value, then CBJ would receive less than 2 fourth round picks.

What does that mean? Backing out the compensation for salary retention, Toronto traded a first round pick (less the value of a fourth round pick) for Foligno. It's essentially a first round pick in other words.

For you to say it is 100% about his salary is ignorant, quite frankly.

Reactions: majormajor

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Huh. Let's take a look at that suggestion.

San Jose ate 25% of the contract. They also gave up Noesen (28 years old, toiling in the AHL - a negligible piece), and received a fourth round pick.

CBJ ate 50% of the contract. Let's say that is worth two fourth round picks (double what SJ got), or if you think Noesen has some value, then CBJ would receive less than 2 fourth round picks.

What does that mean? Backing out the compensation for salary retention, Toronto traded a first round pick (less the value of a fourth round pick) for Foligno. It's essentially a first round pick in other words.

For you to say it is 100% about his salary is ignorant, quite frankly.

Wow that's some pretty ridiculous stuff. To try and make a point you try and say Noesen has 4th round value. Yup I am convinced.
How about the value for SJ to not have him and gain a contract spot? I dont even know many teams that would take 28 year old Ahl Player for free. He probably played his last NHL game this year and to make a point he now has 4th round pick value. Seriously? To also think the Foligno situation is even remotely close is pretty ridiculous. Toronto wasn't trading for Foligno thinking about the future they were only thinking of right now. Right now to them Foligno was the more proven player. They had next to nothing in cap space. To find teams to withhold 75% and to get a proven player is no easy challenge.

Plus while doing all of that you continue to ignore Copp needs a NEW CONTRACT, expansion protection when every team is going to try trading players instead of losing them for nothing oh and the acquiring team will lose an asset. Yup completely the same as Foligno.........no its not.

Please stop. You continue to ignore the same question. Tell me the team that's giving up a first round pick and signing Copp to a 4 to 5 mill yearly cap hit? You can't because your argument is complete and utter BS. Talk about ignorance.

Oh and if 1.375 mill is worth a 4th round pick why did Toronto give up a 1st (13th overall) to get rid of Marleau? Should of just given up 4 4ths or whatever the math works out too. I mean its almost like it doesn't work that way.....so weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad