Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Adam Lowry signs extension with the Jets (5 years, $3.25M AAV)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Got the exact same contract as Faksa...which seems like a pretty good comparable IMO
Basically, a better version than Faksa. About the same 5v5 offensive production, but better defense. And Lowry is an intimidating forechecker, and is one of the few top-9 types that will go toe-to-toe with Ryan Reaves.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This isn't really that cheap for a bottom 6 F set to be UFA. Term is the worst part imo. He would have gotten more on the open market, but GMs always make mistakes there.
Eventually the cap will rise again, and the tail end of this contract will be just fine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know... folks who say he's overpaid are clueless and don't watch hockey/Jets. You know who makes the same amount and is overpaid? Kassian. Ugh.
Lowry provides everything that Kassian supposedly does, but Lowry is also effective at playing hockey.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm always skeptical of deals based on how a player does in their 20s, but the length of the deal is mostly in their 30s. He has been a great player though. The deal should be great for 2 years. After that, they are gambling with history. Forwards usually have a big drop off around that age. Not always, but usually

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Lowry just strikes me as a player that is going to severely disappoint with this deal.

Especially if they lose Copp on top of it..

The Jets aren’t paying him to put up points as they have enough players who can do that. So unless his defensive game falls off a cliff, which is way less likely to happen then a players points totals falling, I don't think the Jets are worried at all with his play dropping off over the next 5 years. Lowrys biggest attribute are his hockey IQ and size. Both of which are going nowhere any tine soon

Reactions: TS Quint

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
While I'm sure the signing of Dave Lowry didn't hurt resigning his son Dave has more then earned his keep with his leadership with the Jets special teams. Last year the Jets were one of the leagues worst team with PP and PK. This year the PP is in the top 3 and the PK is top 12. What Dave Lowry brought to the table with his coaching of the Jets special teams is why the Jets signed him and being Adams dad was just a bonus.
I'm wondering if that went the other way. Dave took the job here because his son planned on staying here long term ?

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Copp plays centre and left wing.

Granted he has played a lot of left wing for Winnipeg.

I don’t think as highly of Nils as you do clearly.

You dont think highly of a teenager setting records and winning awards in the SHL? Nils being a late first rounder has done nothing but improve his draft capital so either you think Copp is now worth a first round pick which he isn't or Nils underperformed his draft position.

Plus who is Copp playing over Panarin, Laf or Kreider? How about as a center which as you ÷<⁸said he doesn't play much....Zibs, Strome or Chytil?

Prior to this year Copp never touched 30 points. Value is terrible. As we saw from this deadline you would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick. If traded separately he probably nets a 3rd? Sorry its pretty bad

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You dont think highly of a teenager setting records and winning awards in the SHL? Nils being a late first rounder has done nothing but improve his draft capital so either you think Copp is now worth a first round pick which he isn't or Nils underperformed his draft position.

Plus who is Copp playing over Panarin, Laf or Kreider? How about as a center which as you ÷<⁸said he doesn't play much....Zibs, Strome or Chytil?

Prior to this year Copp never touched 30 points. Value is terrible. As we saw from this deadline you would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick. If traded separately he probably nets a 3rd? Sorry its pretty bad
If you don't know anything about Copp you could have just stopped at liking "Nils" to make your point.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Maybe I’m undervaluing Nils but you’re undervaluing Copp.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
If you don't know anything about Copp you could have just stopped at liking "Nils" to make your point.

So I dont know anything about Copp now? Copp is a nice player dont get me wrong. But let's be real here. He has played 400 NHL games and this is by far his best year. Like I said its doubtful someone pays a first for a guy who previously never broke 30 points. The rest of his game is good but if he continues to put up points then his value definitely increases.

Peg fans now think you might lose him to expansion but somehow he is worth a 1st round pick? Come on. I dont think my valuation is far off in a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

You think he nets a first?

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
So I dont know anything about Copp now? Copp is a nice player dont get me wrong. But let's be real here. He has played 400 NHL games and this is by far his best year. Like I said its doubtful someone pays a first for a guy who previously never broke 30 points. The rest of his game is good but if he continues to put up points then his value definitely increases.

Peg fans now think you might lose him to expansion but somehow he is worth a 1st round pick? Come on. I dont think my valuation is far off in a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

It all depends on his next contract and what he wants to do/where he wants to go. He's basically in the Trouba situation, which is ironic because they're good friends and have the same agent. If he's willing to sign longer-term under $4 million somewhere, his rights might net a late first from a team that sees him as the last piece to building a contender. We really like him, but he doesn't get a protection slot (or a 1st) if he wants out or wants $5 million. Chevy won't let it come down to the wire like that, though.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
It all depends on his next contract and what he wants to do/where he wants to go. He's basically in the Trouba situation, which is ironic because they're good friends and have the same agent. If he's willing to sign longer-term under $4 million somewhere, his rights might net a late first from a team that sees him as the last piece to building a contender. We really like him, but he doesn't get a protection slot (or a 1st) if he wants out or wants $5 million. Chevy won't let it come down to the wire like that, though.

Fair points but Troubas agent got Trouba overpaid. If he signs a team friendly deal i dont see them trading him and if he wants 5 mill I don't see a contender giving him that contract and a first round pick. If he also knows he is going to get traded he won't take a team friendly deal. I dont see either side of that scenario where he gets a first.

We can agree to disagree though.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

You don't know Copp or the Jets. Why would they lose him in the expansion draft?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm always skeptical of deals based on how a player does in their 20s, but the length of the deal is mostly in their 30s. He has been a great player though. The deal should be great for 2 years. After that, they are gambling with history. Forwards usually have a big drop off around that age. Not always, but usually

Yeah he might drop off at some point but $3.25M is low enough to be worth the risk

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad