Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Adam Lowry signs extension with the Jets (5 years, $3.25M AAV)

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Has the makings of an overpayment from a career year, imo. Though, I really haven’t watched him this year, so maybe he just has improved a ton

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Has the makings of an overpayment from a career year, imo. Though, I really haven’t watched him this year, so maybe he just has improved a ton

I agree....he’s someone to be careful on what you sign him for because he could easily become an anchor. I’m not saying he sucks. He fits a role.

if he makes it to UFA some GM might be crazy enough to offer him 5+

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

His "career year" was argaubly 2018/2019, when his line was practically impossible to score against. You don't sign Lowry for the points he puts up, you sign him because he's a great shutdown 3C who is big and plays a heavy game, has great defensive instincts and does both PK and PP. He's the goon who steps up when a smaller player gets run, he'll fight and he's got them leadership qualities that coaches love. GMs go bananas for a player like this.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just curious - who's spot would he be taking if he signed prior to the draft?

That is a very good question:

Locks:
Scheifele
Dubois
Ehlers
Conner
Wheeler

That leaves 2 slots for:
Copp
Lowry
Appelton

I'd guess they expose either Copp or Appelton if they haven't traded one or the other first.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Steal of a contract. I was hoping the Rangers would pursue Lowry this offseason, he brings value in a lot of ways that isnt scoring but can chip in there a reasonable amount too. Its unfortunate theyll have to protect him but I guess its only over the like of someone like Mason Appleton and getting it locked up now was probably part the reason they got such a sweet deal.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
That is a very good question:

Locks:
Scheifele
Dubois
Ehlers
Conner
Wheeler

That leaves 2 slots for:
Copp
Lowry
Appelton

I'd guess they expose either Copp or Appelton if they haven't traded one or the other first.
I think there's a rule that they have to expose two signed fowards with so many games played so it makes sense that two of those three are 'it' (or 'them' or 'whatever').

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Great contract for what he brings. Could have gotten more on the market but with his pops behind the bench you knew he was staying put. Would have loved him on the Rangers because he’s literally the player we need, but I knew he wouldn’t be available.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
WOW, that is absolute theft.
I called 4x3.25 a couple weeks ago and people thought I was way low. Chevy saved a million on the cap by hiring Lowsy's dad, that's next level GMing.

Edit: aw crap, that's a protection slot. If Copp doesn't get dealt, Appleton is going to get picked. That's a shame.

Reactions: Heldig and Donkeyz

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well Appelton already qualifies for that and Harkins is I think 3 or 4 games from qualifying so that won't be an issue for the Jets.
Harkins needs 5 more games. Appleton already qualifies. I think those two will be designated for exposure in the expansion draft.

Good deal for the Jets, I think. Lowry is a bona fide shutdown 3C that offers value on the PK. His offense has improved. I think he was struggling with an injury for much of last season, but he's been really good this season. He's a "core" part of the Jets' forward depth and balance.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Great contract.

Appleton is going to look great in Seattle though. Gotta imagine he is the odd man out right now unless Copp's nearly 30 goal, 60 point pace season ends up pricing him out of a new long-term deal with the Jets and the move him for assets. Cannot imagine that they would leave either him or the newly-signed Lowry exposed.

Reactions: hn777

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm happy he's staying in Winnipeg!

EzHr2ymXAAcs_00

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Harkins needs 5 more games. Appleton already qualifies. I think those two will be designated for exposure in the expansion draft.

Good deal for the Jets, I think. Lowry is a bona fide shutdown 3C that offers value on the PK. His offense has improved. I think he was struggling with an injury for much of last season, but he's been really good this season. He's a "core" part of the Jets' forward depth and balance.

Yeah I think he stays as a 25 point physical defensive 3C for the next number of years. Good value at 3.25 million. Also puts in place the framework for what they would be willing to do with Copp.

Reactions: Whileee and Guffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad