Confirmed with Link: WPG acquiring Nino Niederreiter from NASH for a 24 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'd be ok with 4x4 but I think we need to be a bit cautious with our approach. He's on a real heater right now but his career high was 57 points and that was ages ago. He's predominantly been a mid 30 to mid 40 point player ever since. That is likely what he will be for us as well moving forward.
But if he could teach most of the other guys on the team where the front of the net is, he’s worth every penny.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
With our cap going up, our decent cap position, and pipeline of young cheap players, I think it's a no brainer to give him 4 years, even at a slight overpay of 4mm aav, for a bunch of reasons.

The guy plays the game the right way every frigging night. He's a true leader who doesn't need a letter to show it.

His game is suited to playoffs and he has a tonne of experience there. If our goal is to win in the playoffs, this is exactly the type of player you want on the roster.

Even if he declines in years 3 and 4, he will still have the same work ethic and approach to the game. His offensive producing may fall, but he will still be useful, perhaps in a more complimentary role. It won't be a Wheeler situation where he's still being utilized as 1rw when he's obviously not able to do it anymore.

Finally, having a guy like that mentoring the McGroarties, Chibbies, Luciouses and Lamberts is invaluable.

At the end of the day, if we're overpaying him by 2mm through the life of the contract that's a drop in the bucket and with every penny.

I don't know what the ratios are but you could front load it as much as possible or use a signing bonus to make it more palatable in the final 2 years.

If I had my way I'd do 3 years, but I'd go as high as 5

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Interesting - the projected fair market value contract for Nino is 4.7-4.8 x 3-4 years...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
With our cap going up, our decent cap position, and pipeline of young cheap players, I think it's a no brainer to give him 4 years, even at a slight overpay of 4mm aav, for a bunch of reasons.

The guy plays the game the right way every frigging night. He's a true leader who doesn't need a letter to show it.

His game is suited to playoffs and he has a tonne of experience there. If our goal is to win in the playoffs, this is exactly the type of player you want on the roster.

Even if he declines in years 3 and 4, he will still have the same work ethic and approach to the game. His offensive producing may fall, but he will still be useful, perhaps in a more complimentary role. It won't be a Wheeler situation where he's still being utilized as 1rw when he's obviously not able to do it anymore.

Finally, having a guy like that mentoring the McGroarties, Chibbies, Luciouses and Lamberts is invaluable.

At the end of the day, if we're overpaying him by 2mm through the life of the contract that's a drop in the bucket and with every penny.

I don't know what the ratios are but you could front load it as much as possible or use a signing bonus to make it more palatable in the final 2 years.

If I had my way I'd do 3 years, but I'd go as high as 5

Good analysis.

Nino is exactly the kind of canny, higher-end vet the Jets have found hard to sign at times -- more Stats than Nate Thompson. Definitely worth keeping around for the combo of hard-headed play and mentorship for a next gen that looks to play his kind of game.

No idea of numbers, but a 3-4 deal would do a lot to solidify a core that might be less flashy more balanced than the last (bar 2016-18). I'm in.

#Dealo4Nino.
#4MoarYears

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Hopefully the new-found vibes in the locker room can convince iafallo to hang around too... imagine a third line of:

Iafallo Lowry Nino

Opens up a spot in the top 6 for skilled youngsters like Lambo or Rutger in a year or two

Reactions: Moon Man and Hobble

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hopefully the new-found vibes in the locker room can convince iafallo to hang around too... imagine a third line of:

Iafallo Lowry Nino

Opens up a spot in the top 6 for skilled youngsters like Lambo or Rutger in a year or two

It would be nice but it's going to be hard to keep everyone. We won't be able to afford $4 plus million for him, Appelton and Nino in a couple of years unless we elect to go real cheap on D and maybe move out an Ehlers.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It would be nice but it's going to be hard to keep everyone. We won't be able to afford $4 plus million for him, Appelton and Nino in a couple of years unless we elect to go real cheap on D and maybe move out an Ehlers.
I think Chevy will play a wait and see approach over the next few years and try to construct the roster he feels has the best chance of winning now. Nino appears to be next up and is definitely worth in the $4M range. I expect DeMelo to be next up after that. These are effective players in the same age range as the players we have just hitched the wagon to with long term deals.

I know fans like to push prospects, but I just don't see the organization relying on that to fill holes until the player has proved himself ready by pushing their way in. Until then they will try and build the roster with win now pieces.

Reactions: thereturn

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Would anyone like to explain why, if this guy is All. That., that Nashville dumped him after less than one season for basically nothing even though they were still in a fight with the Jets for the last playoff spot? Did Poile and Trotz see something that maybe we're missing?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Would anyone like to explain why, if this guy is All. That., that Nashville dumped him after less than one season for basically nothing even though they were still in a fight with the Jets for the last playoff spot? Did Poile and Trotz see something that maybe we're missing?

They knew they were only anywhere close because of Saros and they were going to be dumping some deals and take a step back for a bit.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
As much as it pains me, I think this makes sense. If Lambert and Chibi continue their trajectory, they will be pushing for his spot as early as next year.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Chevy will play a wait and see approach over the next few years and try to construct the roster he feels has the best chance of winning now. Nino appears to be next up and is definitely worth in the $4M range. I expect DeMelo to be next up after that. These are effective players in the same age range as the players we have just hitched the wagon to with long term deals.

I know fans like to push prospects, but I just don't see the organization relying on that to fill holes until the player has proved himself ready by pushing their way in. Until then they will try and build the roster with win now pieces.

I don't disagree with your take on prospects and I agree that they will try to keep win now players. My point is that there is only so much cap to go around and he's going to have to prioritize which middle of the roster players to keep and decide which ones to let go and replace with cheaper options. He won't be able to keep them all.

It looks like Nino will be sticking around. I have no issue with that as he's a good player and drives the third line.

I'd also like to keep DeMelo as he compliments JoMo well and can be deployed anywhere on the dcore and make a difference.

But after those two it gets a lot harder to fit good depth players in.

Mark and Helle will be occupying $4 million in additional cap space.

If Perfetti continues the year he's having and pots 60 points he's looking at a significant raise. Even if bridged it's going to be in the $5 million range.

Add in the $11 million in poorly utilized cap on the dcore in Pionk and Schmidt and we quickly start to run out of cap space. Chevy may have no choice but to replace more expensive depth like Apples, Iafallo etc. with prospects over the next few years.

Reactions: NA Hockey and GNP

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
As much as it pains me, I think this makes sense. If Lambert and Chibi continue their trajectory, they will be pushing for his spot as early as next year.
I agree. If we had any chip to trade for a good defensive upgrade, Ehlers would be our best return. For some reason, he has just never really reached the potential we all hoped he would (whether it be usage, injuries, whatever).

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If he is willing to do 3 years then then 3 x 4.2 million seems pretty reasonable to me.
Be great if we could get Nino on a 3 year term, however my gut feel tells me it will be about 4yrs ( minimum) at $ 4 to $ 4.3 mil per. Be very interesting.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't disagree with your take on prospects and I agree that they will try to keep win now players. My point is that there is only so much cap to go around and he's going to have to prioritize which middle of the roster players to keep and decide which ones to let go and replace with cheaper options. He won't be able to keep them all.

It looks like Nino will be sticking around. I have no issue with that as he's a good player and drives the third line.

I'd also like to keep DeMelo as he compliments JoMo well and can be deployed anywhere on the dcore and make a difference.

But after those two it gets a lot harder to fit good depth players in.

Mark and Helle will be occupying $4 million in additional cap space.

If Perfetti continues the year he's having and pots 60 points he's looking at a significant raise. Even if bridged it's going to be in the $5 million range.

Add in the $11 million in poorly utilized cap on the dcore in Pionk and Schmidt and we quickly start to run out of cap space. Chevy may have no choice but to replace more expensive depth like Apples, Iafallo etc. with prospects over the next few years.
Agreed, Chevy will need to find cap space. The first priority in that direction is moving Schmidt. A buy out next season is an option, as his paying a team to take his contract. In terms of Pionk, I think there is still a good player there if he plays the same way he did against the Yotes. I also think ultimately one of their high priced wingers gets moved (Ehlers or Connor). Both will want raises soon and while prospects are still magic beans, until they are players, most of our top prospects will likely be wingers as pros so hopefully 1 and ideally 2 hit early.

Reactions: surixon

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Agreed, Chevy will need to find cap space. The first priority in that direction is moving Schmidt. A buy out next season is an option, as his paying a team to take his contract. In terms of Pionk, I think there is still a good player there if he plays the same way he did against the Yotes. I also think ultimately one of their high priced wingers gets moved (Ehlers or Connor). Both will want raises soon and while prospects are still magic beans, until they are players, most of our top prospects will likely be wingers as pros so hopefully 1 and ideally 2 hit early.

I’ve been a huge Kyle Connor fan since before he was drafted, but I wonder if he could be a part of a big deal to bring in a defenceman.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ve been a huge Kyle Connor fan since before he was drafted, but I wonder if he could be a part of a big deal to bring in a defenceman.
Connor would be Chevy’s biggest trade chip. Not sure Chevy would go there, but that would the path if you were willing to pay the price to fill the position of biggest team need.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think it's a given that Ehlers is likely the one on his way out. The org undervalues him in the same way they overvalue KC. They will move mountains to retain KC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad