Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Do it!

tumblr_puv3miXK5e1qg946so1_540.gifv

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It be nice to get Nino on a 2 or 3 year deal, however with him being 31 right now, that would push him up to 33 when looking for another contract. I think he'll be wanting a 4 or 5 year deal minimum. I think 4 would be the limit, and nothing beyond that imo. Ideal would be 3 years for the Jets. Well see what happens.
I'd do 4 years for Nino. He is only 6 months older than Scheifele and a former top 5 pick, who really seems to have found a home with the organization. Plays an unique role with the team and don't see him as being any type of barrier for some of the prospects coming in over the next few years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd do 4 years for Nino. He is only 6 months older than Scheifele and a former top 5 pick, who really seems to have found a home with the organization. Plays an unique role with the team and don't see him as being any type of barrier for some of the prospects coming in over the next few years.

I'd be ok with 4x4 but I think we need to be a bit cautious with our approach. He's on a real heater right now but his career high was 57 points and that was ages ago. He's predominantly been a mid 30 to mid 40 point player ever since. That is likely what he will be for us as well moving forward.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd be ok with 4x4 but I think we need to be a bit cautious with our approach. He's on a real heater right now but his career high was 57 points and that was ages ago. He's predominantly been a mid 30 to mid 40 point player ever since. That is likely what he will be for us as well moving forward.
I never worry about Chevy in contract negotiations. I think we see something fair for both sides. 4 X $4, is probably in the neighborhood. Maybe 4 X $3.75? I little bit less on the AAV for the extra year. I think there will be room to save on other contracts over the next few years with some of the inflated deals coming off the books and our prospects coming in on their ELCs.

Four years is much too long unless he signs for 3m or under.
Why? He plays a big man's game that doesn't rely on speed and likely can maintain his current game into his mid 30s.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I never worry about Chevy in contract negotiations. I think we see something fair for both sides. 4 X $4, is probably in the neighborhood. Maybe 4 X $3.75? I little bit less on the AAV for the extra year. I think there will be room to save on other contracts over the next few years with some of the inflated deals coming off the books and our prospects coming in on their ELCs.

Why? He plays a big man's game that doesn't rely on speed and likely can maintain his current game into his mid 30s.
If you give him a 2 year deal, he is 34 when it is done.
Three years is the absolute most I'd give him but it would have to be around 3.33m-3.75m per year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He's a bargain at 4x4 -
We need to look at players not just based on past production but also on how they perform and fit on this team.
He's a perfect complement to Lowry's game and the line plays critical minutes for this team.
I don't expect his production to continue where it is now and it doesn't need to in supporting a $4M contract.
I can see Chevy making this deal if this is what it takes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If you give him a 2 year deal, he is 34 when it is done.
Three years is the absolute most I'd give him but it would have to be around 3.33m-3.75m per year.
He just turned 31. Year 4 of a 4 year deal will start just as he turns 35. Not much of a risk considering how much he adds to the team. Much less risk than assuming our prospects will all hit and become effective players over that time frame.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He just turned 31. Year 4 of a 4 year deal will start just as he turns 35. Not much of a risk considering how much he adds to the team. Much less risk than assuming our prospects will all hit and become effective players over that time frame.
You're right, he will be a few months short of 34 when a two year deal is done.
I can't see Chevy giving him a four year deal and will be surprised if he does.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hope the Jets sign Nino for an extension, as he's a big bodied guy, that's not afraid of the heavy traffic in front of the net, where a lot of those tough goals are scored. We have lightweight snipers like Connor/Ehlers( which you need), but we really need to focus on solid depth players like Nino to win games. Our depth players have won us quite a few games this season. Also, he wants to be here, and you need to have players that want to play here, if you want to win as a team. Sign Nino.

Definitely agree but Chevy can't go overboard here. Nino has always been a bit of an underappreciated player so has never quite broken into the big money. I wouldn't blame him if he was looking for a substantial raise for his last few years. He would also probably want too many years.

Most of our best prospects are F. I wouldn't want to sign Nino for too long and have him blocking our prospects. With 15 players signed for next year, we have a projected 17 mil to fill out the roster. How much of that can we afford to give to Nino? Perfetti will need a raise. There should be enough room there as long as Nino doesn't cost too much.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I could see why Nino’s agent wants this to get out there after a big game. I don’t know if the Jets can go too long term. Three years max. There are a lot of good young forwards coming soon.

Yup. I would prefer 2 years to 3.

Not sure of the AAV. I think we should be able to fit a small raise in, but not too much.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with you 100 % and I think a compromise is in order, if the Jets want to resign him. Nino knows that he has a little leverage, and that players don't line up to play here, so he'll be looking for as much term as possible -- likely 4-5 years, he'll be asking for.

I wouldn't go to 4 years unless he takes a lower AAV than I expect.
2x4.5?
3x3.75?
4x3?
Something along those lines.
Just because he is still playing well at 31 doesn't mean he will be at 33 or 34, or even 32 for that matter.

Just my wild guess but I expect he will still be good for 2 years. After that its anybody's guess.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That would likely be because Chevy usually gets deals done for less than the consensus opinion around here. :laugh:

Right, he plays that big man's game that accumulates wear and tear on the body. Even players who don't rely on speed fall off hard when they lose half a step.

He might last into his mid 30s, or not. He is not the elite calibre of player who usually gets 2-3 more years because of their skill. He is at a level where a smaller fall off puts him below replacement level because he has less to fall off from. I think planning on him lasting past 33 is excessive optimism.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're right, he will be a few months short of 34 when a two year deal is done.
I can't see Chevy giving him a four year deal and will be surprised if he does.

Term might be where negotiations break down. Chevy will be getting raked over the coals here if he fails to get Nino signed. But if that is the issue, I will be on his side.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Definitely agree but Chevy can't go overboard here. Nino has always been a bit of an underappreciated player so has never quite broken into the big money. I wouldn't blame him if he was looking for a substantial raise for his last few years. He would also probably want too many years.

Most of our best prospects are F. I wouldn't want to sign Nino for too long and have him blocking our prospects. With 15 players signed for next year, we have a projected 17 mil to fill out the roster. How much of that can we afford to give to Nino? Perfetti will need a raise. There should be enough room there as long as Nino doesn't cost too much.
I don't see Nino blocking any prospects as there is a fair distance between him and the bottom of the roster. Forwards isn't like defense. Prospects come in on ELCs which aren't much more than league minimum. Ideally the start replacing the guys at the bottom of your lineup making in the league minimum range. There will also likely be some forward attrition as I see it as unlikely the Jets keep both Connor and Ehlers on their next contracts.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Term might be where negotiations break down. Chevy will be getting raked over the coals here if he fails to get Nino signed. But if that is the issue, I will be on his side.
To be honest, the term is almost guaranteed not to become an issue. We have so little cap space locked up going forward that we could commit to Nino for 3-4 years without it affecting anything at all.

What I would look at first are the upcoming extensions to Perfetti (can be done prior to UFA 2024) and Ehlers (cannot be done by then). If we, for whatever idiotic reason, don't re-up Ehlers, then we're likely OK with a longer term deal to Nino. We'd better be, because someone needs to drive possession here. If we re-sign Nik instead, then I'd aim for a short deal to Nino so as to avoid problems with KC's contract extension (?) in 2026. Perfetti's deal length and RFA/UFA timing would also play a role in determining when we don't want cap space to be locked up by non-core players.

Also: Nino is far too good to play in a 3rd line role with Lowry, who is also an expensive depth player for us. Can't have too many of those, however effective they are.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What I would look at first are the upcoming extensions to Perfetti (can be done prior to UFA 2024) and Ehlers (cannot be done by then). If we, for whatever idiotic reason, don't re-up Ehlers, then we're likely OK with a longer term deal to Nino. We'd better be, because someone needs to drive possession here. If we re-sign Nik instead, then I'd aim for a short deal to Nino so as to avoid problems with KC's contract extension (?) in 2026. Perfetti's deal length and RFA/UFA timing would also play a role in determining when we don't want cap space to be locked up by non-core players.

Also: Nino is far too good to play in a 3rd line role with Lowry, who is also an expensive depth player for us. Can't have too many of those, however effective they are.
RFA

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They are not playing a "depth" role on this team - and when you begin numbering your lines as if that is the order of their importance or impact, we start labeling using terms such as Depth.
Our third plays solid hockey that is now translating into offense - and that type of line, if it were continue at even a fraction of their current impact, are huge in the PO's.
I don't want to get ahead of myself with this line - but I also don't want to deplete their value because of how we might define 3rd lines and depth.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

This one is interesting. There is absolutely potential of squeezing out winger prospects. Probably a good problem to have.

Just wouldn't want us to be in the same spot we are with our defense today.

Thinking about it as I write this... would probably rather pay Nino at his pay scale and have to let go or demote guys like Appleton, Barron, Kupari than lose out on what Nino brings.

Our cap situation gets really flexible in a couple years

Adding McGroarty to the Connor, Ehlers, Vilardi, Iafallo, Perfetti, Niederreiter, Appleton, Barron group would be nice

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To be honest, the term is almost guaranteed not to become an issue. We have so little cap space locked up going forward that we could commit to Nino for 3-4 years without it affecting anything at all.

True, the cap situation next year is not the whole story. Space coming free after that would make more term easier to commit to. And if a little more term would get Nino to accept a little less AAV, so much the better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see Nino blocking any prospects as there is a fair distance between him and the bottom of the roster. Forwards isn't like defense. Prospects come in on ELCs which aren't much more than league minimum. Ideally the start replacing the guys at the bottom of your lineup making in the league minimum range. There will also likely be some forward attrition as I see it as unlikely the Jets keep both Connor and Ehlers on their next contracts.

How KC and Ehlers play out is pretty hard to predict this far out. At this distance I just assume they will both stay until they start moving towards the door, one way or another.

Other than the open question of 2C we have 12 starting F with Vilardi back. It isn't obvious who would need to go to open a spot for whichever prospect is ready first.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Nino appeared on a few Swiss TV Sports Shows right before the season started and always said only positive things about Winnipeg and the Jets. Moreover, he came across as a very happy chap. I think you can see it on the ice.
Manitoba is almost the opposite of Switzerland .

• Haha
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: