Confirmed with Link: WPG acquiring Nino Niederreiter from NASH for a 24 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think it's a given that Ehlers is likely the one on his way out. The org undervalues him in the same way they overvalue KC. They will move mountains to retain KC.
I really don't know where this "undervaluing" thing comes from

The reality is that the org sees way more of ehlers than we do and have a better idea of his capabilities. They see him in practice and in the weight room, etc

There's a reason every coach he's played for here manages his minutes and match ups. He's just not built to withstand the physical rigors of an NHL season playing 20 minutes a night vs teams top pairings.

I remember the Jets TV thing they did where they asked all the players who skips leg day in the gym and they all (including ehlers himself) said Ehlers

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think it's a given that Ehlers is likely the one on his way out. The org undervalues him in the same way they overvalue KC. They will move mountains to retain KC.
Kc is terrible at D but he does suit up 75 games. Ehlers has poor health even this season he missed preseason because of it.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
2025-26 barring Chevy ufas
Kfc-scheif-vilardi
perfetti-lambert-chib
Nino-lowry-apples
Barron-kupari-mcgro

Jomo-salo
Samberg-demelo
Chisholm-bauer

Reactions: Moon Man

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Not a bad job by Billeck breaking down the numbers on a Nino extension.

Good sum up - and he didn't allow himself to go too far down the road.
All those new bodies on D might be a struggle - but it is already so why not.
I think the Nino Ask is fair and doable - I'd have to assume Chevy will make this work.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Good sum up - and he didn't allow himself to go too far down the road.
All those new bodies on D might be a struggle - but it is already so why not.
I think the Nino Ask is fair and doable - I'd have to assume Chevy will make this work.

If you want to win a cup you need middle-6 guys like Nino who can play up and down the line up, work hard and never take a shift off. Jets have been missing such players since we lost Copp, Perreault and Armia. We finally have 2 in Nino and Iafallo and must do all we can to retain them.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If you want to win a cup you need middle-6 guys like Nino who can play up and down the line up, work hard and never take a shift off. Jets have been missing such players since we lost Copp, Perreault and Armia. We finally have 2 in Nino and Iafallo and must do all we can to retain them.
These guys are my kind of players - agree 100% (and would add Lowry).

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
I hope we can keep Nino. I can't agree enough with others that you need the grinders and hustlers that can pick and pop with any top three line. Nino busts his ass every shift on both ends. You will never undersell this old goblin on that kind of player.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
If it’s true that his desire is to have a 3 or 4 year contract at $4 - $5 million per year, then I’d do it. I believe the source is Scott Billeck of the Wpg Sun.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
With our cap going up, our decent cap position, and pipeline of young cheap players, I think it's a no brainer to give him 4 years, even at a slight overpay of 4mm aav, for a bunch of reasons.

The guy plays the game the right way every frigging night. He's a true leader who doesn't need a letter to show it.

His game is suited to playoffs and he has a tonne of experience there. If our goal is to win in the playoffs, this is exactly the type of player you want on the roster.

Even if he declines in years 3 and 4, he will still have the same work ethic and approach to the game. His offensive producing may fall, but he will still be useful, perhaps in a more complimentary role. It won't be a Wheeler situation where he's still being utilized as 1rw when he's obviously not able to do it anymore.

Finally, having a guy like that mentoring the McGroarties, Chibbies, Luciouses and Lamberts is invaluable.

At the end of the day, if we're overpaying him by 2mm through the life of the contract that's a drop in the bucket and with every penny.

I don't know what the ratios are but you could front load it as much as possible or use a signing bonus to make it more palatable in the final 2 years.

If I had my way I'd do 3 years, but I'd go as high as 5
5 would be ok if front -loaded..
This guy is what the doctor ordered.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm not too keen on 5 years for a middle 6 player north of 30 years old. Just not a smart bet. I'm ok with 4
Not ideal but if it keeps him here, I'd consider it.

Again, I think his work ethic, experience and smarts makes a 36 yo Nino on the 4th line, maybe as a platoon player with a rookie an interesting idea. He has elements of his game that would still translate.

The big problem with Wheeler was the insistence to play him on the top 2 lines. If he dropped down to the 4th here people still may not have loved his contract but I think he might have still been able to help the team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not ideal but if it keeps him here, I'd consider it.

Again, I think his work ethic, experience and smarts makes a 36 yo Nino on the 4th line, maybe as a platoon player with a rookie an interesting idea. He has elements of his game that would still translate.

The big problem with Wheeler was the insistence to play him on the top 2 lines. If he dropped down to the 4th here people still may not have loved his contract but I think he might have still been able to help the team.

I just think with the glut of forward prospects in the system it doesn't make much sense to tie up depth players that long. Nino has only ever inked one deal of 5 years in length in his career. My guess is teams won't be lining up to give him one. I'd think he'd jump at 4 years personally.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I just think with the glut of forward prospects in the system it doesn't make much sense to tie up depth players that long. Nino has only ever inked one deal of 5 years in length in his career. My guess is teams won't be lining up to give him one. I'd think he'd jump at 4 years personally.

I’m starting to wonder if there is room for Nino.

Connor, Scheifele, Perfetti, Ehlers, Vilardi as top 6 locks. Lowry and Appleton on the 3rd line. That leaves you two spots in the middle 6 for Iafallo, Nino, Namestnikov. Kupari, Barron, Gus battling for 4th line spots.

Next year you have to think there is going to be one of Lambert, Mcgroarty, Chibrikov, Lucius on the team. Maybe two.

You almost have to choose two of Iafallo, Nino and Ehlers. If you lose one, you could throw a bunch of money at a RHD like Pesce.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Connor, Scheifele, Perfetti, Ehlers, Vilardi as top 6 locks. Lowry and Appleton on the 3rd line. That leaves you two spots in the middle 6 for Iafallo, Nino, Namestnikov. Kupari, Barron, Gus battling for 4th line spots.

Next year you have to think there is going to be one of Lambert, Mcgroarty, Chibrikov, Lucius on the team. Maybe two.

You almost have to choose two of Iafallo, Nino and Ehlers. If you lose one, you could throw a bunch of money at a RHD like Pesce.

From what I've seen many of those kids need a good amount of seasoning. We may have one full time kid next year.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
From what I've seen many of those kids need a good amount of seasoning. We may have one full time kid next year.

Definitely, but I think it’s fair to say there will be one in the top 9. If that’s the case, that leaves two of Iafallo, Nino, Namestnikov on the 4th line.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Whichever combination of forwards we decide to keep, I'd certainly hope that at most nine of them are paid a dollar above the minimum / ELC. We have amassed a nice collection of toys at this point, but if we're going to keep giving the fourth line eight minutes a night, we cannot afford to pay those guys anything for it. It's simply not worth the investment with how we utilise them.

How are people feeling about letting Connor go in three years and keeping most of the rest, I wonder? 🤔

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I'd be moving Ehlers

Nov 24, 2006
I'm wondering if Nik Ehlers will even be here in a year or two. Just doesn't seem like coaches like him that much. He was on the block a few years ago if memory serves me correctly.

Reactions: surixon

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'm not too keen on 5 years for a middle 6 player north of 30 years old. Just not a smart bet. I'm ok with 4
Yeah 5 years is not something I would consider, 3 is what I'd go for even if that raises the cap hit a bit. He only got 2 years as a 30 year old and 5 years as a 25 year old so I doubt that he is seriously expecting 5. He'll probably be good with 3 as it would be an increase in term and most likely pay over his last contract.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Whichever combination of forwards we decide to keep, I'd certainly hope that at most nine of them are paid a dollar above the minimum / ELC. We have amassed a nice collection of toys at this point, but if we're going to keep giving the fourth line eight minutes a night, we cannot afford to pay those guys anything for it. It's simply not worth the investment with how we utilise them.

How are people feeling about letting Connor go in three years and keeping most of the rest, I wonder? 🤔
Thats insane. You get rid of one of the best goal scorers in the league for what? I think you sign him for 8 more years and retire his number.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thats insane. You get rid of one of the best goal scorers in the league for what? I think you sign him for 8 more years and retire his number.
Connor has his warts , nobody is perfect, but Connor is far and away our best goal scorer and last time i checked you need to score to win games. I totally agree, you sign him up long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad