Proposal: Would you trade Subban/Price for another team's #1Goalie/Dman combination? If so who?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
He won a Norris a season ago... He's a legitimate superstar all the time.

Markov never was the best at anything in his prime. So no, not better than Suban, not by a long-shot.

Because Markov had a guy like Lidstrom to compete with. And yes, in his prime he was better than Subban right now.

crix22

Aug 12, 2014
Quebec City
Wow, what a first post, dissing on the team's number dman. Good start, welcome aboard.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to be wrong... We're OK though, a 5th place is not so bad, but... is far from a cup! :D

I wish we could get toghether next year for the same discussion.
Unfortunatelly, as far as I remember, Price was "always" injured in the playoffs, I don't see why we think that Rinne is "worthless" compared with him. And player for player, I would swap PK for any of the three from west in a heart beat! The problem was that we just couldn't do that, and we HAD TO sign PK for a ridiculous sum... We'll see what he gives us in return, I hope he'll beat Bobby Orr's numbers! (He'll better!)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Wow, what a first post, dissing on the team's number dman. Good start, welcome aboard.

I'd love to be wrong... We're OK though, a 5th place is not so bad, but... is far from a cup! :D

I wish we could get toghether next year for the same discussion.
Unfortunatelly, as far as I remember, Price was "always" injured in the playoffs, I don't see why we think that Rinne is "worthless" compared with him. And player for player, I would swap PK for any of the three from west in a heart beat! The problem was that we just couldn't do that, and we HAD TO sign PK for a ridiculous sum... We'll see what he gives us in return, I hope he'll beat Bobby Orr's numbers! (He'll better!)

First time in 20+ years that the team has had a star at 2 of the 3 prime positions (at the same time) and we're not happy with that? Either lower your standards, or start watching game tape from the 70s and pretend that it's live.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Only 1 team I would make that trade with - LA Kings.

I would take Quick and Doughty over Price and Subban.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Interesting.

I have to say, there's two pairing that are close to ours. One with each a player better or equal to ours. LA and Nashville.

LA has Doughty and Quick, I'd say Doughty is slightly better than Subban while Quick is a bit worst than Price.
Nashville has Weber and Rinne, I'd say Weber is equal or a bit worst than Subban and Rinne equal or better than Price.

In terms of "rankings" this is how it would go.

Doughty
Rinne
Price
Weber
Subban
Quick

With that said, Nashville seems the easy choice, but they're a lot older and Rinne has injury issues. So it's between the others if were considering this for a franchise type of poll. I think the Doughty and Subban are actually harder to find, but I'd say the gap between them (and Weber) is almost non-existent, whereas I think the gap between Price (Rinne) and Quick is a bit wider.

I'd have to keep ours.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Interesting.

I have to say, there's two pairing that are close to ours. One with each a player better or equal to ours. LA and Nashville.

LA has Doughty and Quick, I'd say Doughty is slightly better than Subban while Quick is a bit worst than Price.
Nashville has Weber and Rinne, I'd say Weber is equal or a bit worst than Subban and Rinne equal or better than Price.

Doughty
Rinne
Price
Weber
Subban
Quick

With that said, Nashville seems the easy choice, but they're a lot older and Rinne has injury issues. So it's between the others if were considering this for a franchise type of poll. I think the Doughty and Subban are actually harder to find, but I'd say the gap between them (and Weber) is almost non-existent, whereas I think the gap between Price (Rinne) and Quick is a bit wider.

I'd have to keep ours.

I thought of Nashville as well cause i really love Weber but Rinne's recent health issues make it too risky a deal. If Rinne is a 100% healthy he is one of the best for sure.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I thought of Nashville as well cause i really love Weber but Rinne's recent health issues make it too risky a deal. If Rinne is a 100% healthy he is one of the best for sure.

I don't think Rinne's health is the biggest concern. Both players being 5 years older than ours is what concern me.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
I don't think Rinne's health is the biggest concern. Both players being 5 years older than ours is what concern me.

Agreed. Age is a huge factor. That is why the LA trade makes sense. Doughty is a little younger than PK and I think Quick and Price are the same age. The more I think about it, while I love Doughty and Quick, I wouldn't trade our guys for any other duo.

crix22

Aug 12, 2014
Quebec City
First time in 20+ years that the team has had a star at 2 of the 3 prime positions (at the same time) and we're not happy with that? Either lower your standards, or start watching game tape from the 70s and pretend that it's live.

I try to be as realistic as possible. I think we had good pairings in the last 20 years, but we couldn't do much because something else was missing... (speaking of standards). And I do hope you're right, 'cause if so, we'll sure win the cup in the next... 4 years?
It will all be about the cap! If we'd be alble to woe a star center we'd have a chance... But we can't! Lower standars lead you to east 3rd round, at max... IMHO.

crix22

Aug 12, 2014
Quebec City
Oops... I meant "win" a star center (by attracting one already established, or by developing one). Until now I'm not convinced that Galchenyuk will be the one (or even the second one), but we'll see within the next two years. You see, I'm patient. :)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If Price and Subban went to LA, we'd be talking about them as the best in the game.

Quick used to be inconsistent, but he's largely taken that out of his game. Doughty used to run around like a chicken in his own end, but now is very solid. I remember a couple big errors this year, but very rare.

With Price's quieter game and LA's big defense, LA might be better with Price in there for them. Subban would finally have a solid partner to play with as well. And a big defensive center to remove a lot of the burden.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I try to be as realistic as possible. I think we had good pairings in the last 20 years, but we couldn't do much because something else was missing... (speaking of standards). And I do hope you're right, 'cause if so, we'll sure win the cup in the next... 4 years?
It will all be about the cap! If we'd be alble to woe a star center we'd have a chance... But we can't! Lower standars lead you to east 3rd round, at max... IMHO.

Never had two elite at the same time.

Theodore was amazing once, but he had Breezer has his "best" defenseman.

Markov was amazing once, but Huet, Halak and Price were not quite elite.

Chelios and Roy is the closest thing we've had and it's more than 20 years ago.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Interesting.

Doughty
Rinne
Price
Weber
Subban
Quick

I'd have to keep ours.

Rinne better than Price, Weber and Subban is ridiculous. Especially considering you have Doughty above of said Rinne.

I'm not a fan of Rinne at all. But maybe that's just me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Rinne better than Price, Weber and Subban is ridiculous. Especially considering you have Doughty above of said Rinne.

I'm not a fan of Rinne at all. But maybe that's just me.

Considering what he can bring to the table when not injured, I think he's the best goalie in the league, or he was at one point.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Because Markov had a guy like Lidstrom to compete with. And yes, in his prime he was better than Subban right now.

That' suggesting Markov ended several times 2nd only to Lidstrom in his prime. Fact is, he never was top 3. I for one argued Markov as a potential top 5 defenseman at his absolute peak. That's the best he ever played.

Subban has already been the absolute best at certain times and he most definitely haven't touched his peak. You can pretend Markov was the best as some sort of fact if you want. The bottom line is that the majority of the Habs board voted Subban as the best Habs defenseman since 2000.

Considering what he can bring to the table when not injured, I think he's the best goalie in the league, or he was at one point.

Yeah, not buying it. The same could be said about pretty much any of the top goalies in the league at their peak. Lundqvist, Miller, Quick, Rask, Luongo you name it. Rinne hasn't been anywhere close to a top goalie ever since he couldn't count on one of the best top pairing of the last decade playing in front of him, for a team that played a ridiculously tight game to boot.

Never been much of a fan. I mean, I guess you could include him as one of the top 5 in the league, but ranking him ahead of Weber/Subban/Price at this point just isn't right. Especially, like I said, considering the fact you have Doughty above him, while Weber is arguably the consensus best defenseman in the league. Doughty is good, but he hasn't done anything that warrants separation from him to the other elite defensemen in the league at this point.

Pretty sure you'd ask any Nashville fan who their best player is, and none of them would answer Pekka Rinne.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That' suggesting Markov ended several times 2nd only to Lidstrom in his prime. Fact is, he never was top 3. I for one argued Markov as a potential top 5 defenseman at his absolute peak. That's the best he ever played.

Subban has already been the absolute best at certain times and he most definitely haven't touched his peak. You can pretend Markov was the best as some sort of fact if you want. The bottom line is that the majority of the Habs board voted Subban as the best Habs defenseman since 2000.

Yeah, not buying it. The same could be said about pretty much any of the top goalies in the league at their peak. Lundqvist, Miller, Quick, Rask, Luongo you name it. Rinne hasn't been anywhere close to a top goalie ever since he couldn't count on one of the best top pairing of the last decade playing in front of him, for a team that played a ridiculously tight game to boot.

Never been much of a fan. I mean, I guess you could include him as one of the top 5 in the league, but ranking him ahead of Weber/Subban/Price at this point just isn't right. Especially, like I said, considering the fact you have Doughty above him, while Weber is arguably the consensus best defenseman in the league. Doughty is good, but he hasn't done anything that warrants separation from him to the other elite defensemen in the league at this point.

Pretty sure you'd ask any Nashville fan who their best player is, and none of them would answer Pekka Rinne.

You know Lebowski... Just making a post with about 30 lines stating that my opinion is wrong and yours is right isn't going to make things change.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You know Lebowski... Just making a post with about 30 lines stating that my opinion is wrong and yours is right isn't going to make things change.

C'mon man, that was 8 lines. Try harder. :p:

I'm just showing the rationale behind my point of view. I'd expect you to bring up your rationale behind your opinion since, you know, this is what this board is all about.

Until then, I can safely assume I am indeed right, and you're wrong, since you didn't disprove any of what I said. Even then, I didn't state my opinion as a fact anywhere. So I'll just assume you're being lazy tonight. ;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
C'mon man, that was 8 lines. Try harder. :p:

I'm just showing the rationale behind my point of view. I'd expect you to bring up your rationale behind your opinion since, you know, this is what this board is all about.

Until then, I can safely assume I am indeed right, and you're wrong, since you didn't disprove any of what I said. Even then, I didn't state my opinion as a fact anywhere. So I'll just assume you're being lazy tonight. ;)

Rinne has been injured the last two years, I stated that barring injuries, I thought he was the best. You told me he looked good because of Suter and Weber and that he doesn't play like that anymore. He doesn't, because he's been injured.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Don't think there's a swap to be honest. Quick/Doughty is probably closest but to me the gap between Price and Quick is much bigger than the gap between Doughty and Subban. Rinne/Weber is two inferior players. Lundqvist is a better goalie but the gap between Subban and McDonagh is bigger. Rask/Chara makes some sense and in a vacuum they're probably a better pair, but Chara is declining and I doubt he's elite for too much longer..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't think there's a swap to be honest. Quick/Doughty is probably closest but to me the gap between Price and Quick is much bigger than the gap between Doughty and Subban. Rinne/Weber is two inferior players. Lundqvist is a better goalie but the gap between Subban and McDonagh is bigger. Rask/Chara makes some sense and in a vacuum they're probably a better pair, but Chara is declining and I doubt he's elite for too much longer..

None of those players are actually better than Price. Lundqvist lives off hype alone and Rask lives off the bruins system.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
None of those players are actually better than Price. Lundqvist lives off hype alone and Rask lives off the bruins system.

I tend to agree with this statement. Even Chad Johnson looked like an all star behind that system. When a team allows less than 30 shots per game on average and minimal high percentage scoring chances like the Bruins do, if your goalie is any good at all he should have above average numbers. Rask is a good goalie, don't get me wrong, but ill wait an see how he performs once the Bruins are trash again before I crown him one of the best.

Last edited:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
At one time, I would have gone with rinne and weber, but I've lost some confidence in rinne. I would prefer weber over subban though.

Quick and doughty is the other one to consider. Quick is the best goalie in the league IMO (minus puck handling), and doughty is among the elite dmen, and a winner.

Lundqvist/ McDonagh is also up there... Only knock on this duo would be lundqvist being the oldest player mentioned.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Obviously Doughty and Quick are the only ones really worth this, but the difference isn't enough that I'd do the trade. Quick would get run out of town here since he's not nearly as solid as Price during the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad