Proposal: Would you trade Subban/Price for another team's #1Goalie/Dman combination? If so who?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pick any team in the NHL's #1 goalie, and #1 defenseman.

Would you trade Price/Subban straight up for that team's? And if so, which teams make the cut and why?

ex: Los Angeles #1 Goalie/Dman would be Doughty/Quick. Do you make that trade? Feel free to list any or every team who you would trade with, and explain your reasonings.

I would rather keep this more about actual skill and talent (as such, you can take a player's age/prime years into account) more than about contracts considerations (salary, whose UFA the next year, etc), but i leave that up to you.

Keep in mind, the idea is that this would be a straight up 2 player for 2 player trade - so you can't be like "well, if said team also adds in this forward or a bunch of prospects maybe". Just a straight up goalie/dman for goalie/dman.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Doughty/Quick is the only one I can think of.

Gotta see more of Dougie Hamilton before I'd do Hamilton/Rask.

Maybe a few years back I would have done Weber/Rinne but not so much anymore.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Doughty Quick.
I would have said Rinne Weber, but Rinne health issues are a bit cause for concern.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Doughty/Quick for sure. I'd say the habs have the second best Dman/goalie duo in the league after them.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, I'd absolutely do it for Quick/Doughty but any other pair would be a toss-up at best.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Bernier/Phaneuf AINEC.

I mean if you take the first 10 games of the 2013 season and the first 21 of the 2014 season, they are the best players in history.

/leafs fans

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The Kings duo is definitely an interesting one that could be argued. Rinne and Weber as well but all depends how Rinne bounces back

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Not really anyone. Quick Doughty is the closest, but I'm not a big fan of Quick and I'm not one of those that thinks Doughty is in a league of his own as far as defensemen go.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
Not really anyone. Quick Doughty is the closest, but I'm not a big fan of Quick and I'm not one of those that thinks Doughty is in a league of his own as far as defensemen go.

I agree, Doughty in the games I watched was easily comparable to Subban. There just seems to always be certain players that get extra praise for being part of a well built team.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Doughty/Quick is the only one I can think of.

Gotta see more of Dougie Hamilton before I'd do Hamilton/Rask.

Maybe a few years back I would have done Weber/Rinne but not so much anymore.
Dought Quick would be my choice. I would not do Hamilton Rask. Rask can be thrown off his game and he goes into temper tantrums I don;t think he could handle the Montreal stress.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Without a Price freak injury we would have been seeing a Price/Subban vs. Quick/Doughty show down in the finals.

Too bad really, but these things happen. That being said, I do agree with most that this is the closest in all attributes when looking at a straight swap. Would I make the trade? Doubt it, mostly because of the fondness grown over the years watching these guys grow in Montreal, but it would probably be a good trade for us.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Without a Price freak injury we would have been seeing a Price/Subban vs. Quick/Doughty show down in the finals.

The thing is, it wasn't a freak injury. Although Kreider wasn't setting out to injure him per se, he damn well could have avoided contact but intentionally ensured he made contact in order to "disturb" him. And of course the NHL did nothing. The NHL knows violence sells. That's why it took them so long to take head shots out of the game. If there were stricter rules against bowling over the goalie, Kreider would have avoided him and Price wouldn't have been injured.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The thing is, it wasn't a freak injury. Although Kreider wasn't setting out to injure him per se, he damn well could have avoided contact but intentionally ensured he made contact in order to "disturb" him. And of course the NHL did nothing. The NHL knows violence sells. That's why it took them so long to take head shots out of the game. If there were stricter rules against bowling over the goalie, Kreider would have avoided him and Price wouldn't have been injured.

That's your opinion, and as far as I'm concerned it is an opinion. There is no measurable way to state for sure that he intended to hurt Price or that he could have completely avoided the contact. He was contacted in the feet and going at a good pace when contacted.

Just fyi, my opinion isn't that far off but it's still a freak injury because while Kreider made no attempt to avoid him and took advantage of the situation as it presented itself, there is no way he was trying to give up a breakaway in game one of the ECF to injure the goalie.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I agree, Doughty in the games I watched was easily comparable to Subban. There just seems to always be certain players that get extra praise for being part of a well built team.

Pretty much. Doughty has hardly been a 40 points defenseman on a stacked team that plays a defensive system since his sophomore season. He looks better defensively than he really is, but his offensive numbers are deflated a bit.

He's the most comparable player to Subban in the league.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd consider Doughty/Quick, but I'd rather just keep our duo as we already know they can perform at a high level in Montreal and there is no guarantee DD and Quick would be as effective if they played here.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Pretty much. Doughty has hardly been a 40 points defenseman on a stacked team that plays a defensive system since his sophomore season. He looks better defensively than he really is, but his offensive numbers are deflated a bit.

He's the most comparable player to Subban in the league.

That doesn't matter. Markov in his prime was a better defenceman in the regular season than Subban so far. What separates the two of them is their game in the playoffs.

Subban is a number 1 in the regular season, but he is a legitimate superstar in the post season. The same can be said for Drew Doughty.... although I find Doughty has been more consistent of it (PK slowed down in the Rangers series).

Guys like Doughty and PK are handed tons of minutes in the post season and bring it offensively, defensively, physically all this while pissing off the other team... These guys are on a whole other level in the playoffs I find.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That doesn't matter. Markov in his prime was a better defenceman in the regular season than Subban so far. What separates the two of them is their game in the playoffs.

Subban is a number 1 in the regular season, but he is a legitimate superstar in the post season. The same can be said for Drew Doughty.... although I find Doughty has been more consistent of it (PK slowed down in the Rangers series).

Guys like Doughty and PK are handed tons of minutes in the post season and bring it offensively, defensively, physically all this while pissing off the other team... These guys are on a whole other level in the playoffs I find.

He won a Norris a season ago... He's a legitimate superstar all the time.

Markov never was the best at anything in his prime. So no, not better than Suban, not by a long-shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad