Proposal: Would you trade Subban/Price for another team's #1Goalie/Dman combination? If so who?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
PK Subban + Price = VERY VERY hungry for a CUP(S)

PK Subban grew up a die-hard Hab fan...in Toronto.

It's perfect...just need the other pieces to be as hungry.
(and they will be...looking at how Subban and Price lead/perform will motivate others to follow...and try to go all the way).

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Price/Subban is as good as it gets. There are maybe one or two other combos who are on approximately the same level (Doughty/Quick or Lundqvsit/McDonagh? Rinne-if-healthy/Weber) but there's no way I'd consider swapping our duo for any other duo, given the approximate equality and the years of fandom invested already in PK and Price. It's "not even close" in that sense.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Doughty/Quick would be the only one I'd consider close at this point. I'm good with what we've got.

Naoned

Price/Subban is as good as it gets. There are maybe one or two other combos who are on approximately the same level (Doughty/Quick or Lundqvsit/McDonagh? Rinne-if-healthy/Weber) but there's no way I'd consider swapping our duo for any other duo, given the approximate equality and the years of fandom invested already in PK and Price. It's "not even close" in that sense.
Exactly. Add to that the fact that we know Price and Subban can thrive in the pressure of Montreal. Only McDonagh-Lundqvist play in a context somewhat comparable.

higgs011

May 8, 2014
Montreal
Only one I would consider is Lundy/Mcdonut.

Quick is frustrating as hell in the regular season, and Subban can be on par with Doughty one day, I think.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Price/PK
Quick/Doughty
Hank/McD
Crawford/Keith
Rinne/Weber

I don't think there is a current duo that I would trade for even up.
Lundquist is too old
Crawford is crawford
Rinne is an injury risk.

Quick Doughty is probably the closest but Quick's style worries me, he has had a few hip issues and his low crouch style is a Diepietro hip waiting to happen. Doughty/Subban are very similar players. I like Subban a bit more based on, wait for it, his contract. he is signed for 3 years more than Doughty albeit for $2m more per. When Doughty's deal ends he is gonna cost a small fortune.

The final kicker, I think Doughty and Quick have reached there potential. Subban and Price still have upside.

Looking at the Olympics Doughty was arguably the best skater of canada's starting 6, Weber had the best shot. the no 7 guy skates just as good or better than Doughty and his shot rivals that of Weber.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Quick/Doughty. And Doughty has one of the sweetest contracts out there.

I find this statement and your position on the Subban bridge deal a tad ironic. Doughty received one of "sweetest" contracts only because his club didn't stubbornly implement the bridge deal that you so vigorously defend.

McDonagh is obviously one of this generation of habs fans biggest embarassments, and though I think Subban is better, McDonagh's contract is incredible. I'm not saying I would for sure do the trade, but I might consider it.

I'm not sure what your position on the bridge deal was, but I find this statement funny because the Habs could have had Subban on a similarly "incredible" contract had they not stubbornly enforced their one-size-fits-all bridge deal.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
As for my position on the topic at hand. I wouldn't switch any duo. I don't think any combo of Doughty/Quick, Lundqvist/McDonagh or Weber/Rinne would make the Habs that much better so as to warrant a swap.

Also, I'm gonna go against the grain and say I'm not as high on Quick as the rest of HF is. Quick is a classic case of grass is always greener elsewhere. His inconsistency would get ripped to shreds in Habs land. His regular season play over the last few years has consisted of soaring highs and gaping lows. He had two excellent years in the POs, but I thought his performance in last year's cup win was the type that would have been heavily criticized had a Habs goalie played that way.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I find this statement and your position on the Subban bridge deal a tad ironic. Doughty received one of "sweetest" contracts only because his club didn't stubbornly implement the bridge deal that you so vigorously defend.

I'm not sure what your position on the bridge deal was, but I find this statement funny because the Habs could have had Subban on a similarly "incredible" contract had they not stubbornly enforced their one-size-fits-all bridge deal.
Subban at five mil for the next three to four years definitely would've qualified as being sweet. And when Doughty landed his deal it was considered massive. That's the NHL salary structure for you... you don't like the numbers? Wait a couple of years. What was expensive becomes "sweet."

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Like many others I'd consider the LA one for sure. The new york duo could be interesting also.

Kikizaz

Jan 15, 2008
Victoria BC
I wouldn't trade Price...

but Subban's contract is just awful...

If he could fetch a package of (Hall or Nudgent-Hopkins) + Yakupov + a pick then I'd make the trade...

It has begun...

GET RID OF GOOD PLAYERS FOR PLAYERS WHO MIGHT BE GOOD.

crix22

Aug 12, 2014
Quebec City
I find unrealistic to forget about the cap issue...
I do believe that Subban ...is a cap issue, equal to his ego, and it may hurt us. I certainlly hope for better! So, here are my picks:
1) LA (Quick 5,8 mil/ DD 7mil, = 12 mil)
2) Chicago (Crawford 6 mil/Keith 5.538.462 - THIS is a robbery =11,538)
3) NYR (13,2 mil)
4) Nashville (14.857.143) - the only one with an issue, Rinne's possible health problems).

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I find unrealistic to forget about the cap issue...
I do believe that Subban ...is a cap issue, equal to his ego, and it may hurt us. I certainlly hope for better! So, here are my picks:
1) LA (Quick 5,8 mil/ DD 7mil, = 12 mil)
2) Chicago (Crawford 6 mil/Keith 5.538.462 - THIS is a robbery =11,538)
3) NYR (13,2 mil)
4) Nashville (14.857.143) - the only one with an issue, Rinne's possible health problems).

Wow, what a first post, dissing on the team's number dman. Good start, welcome aboard.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Nope! As mentioned, Doughty and Quick are probably closest, followed by Rinne and Weber. I prefer ours because they're younger, have a better combined pedigree, and their ours!

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
"Their ours" is really the key.

But even past that, I'd be worried about the other goalies especially... Quick seems a little erratic to me... his team is soooo good when they're playing their game, it's like with Rask and Boston on their game... I'd like to see the numbers Price would put up on teams like that, and the reputation which would ensue! Rinne's health issues are too worrying. Lundqvist is getting up there... he still stands on his head, but playing deep and looking smaller always makes me wonder what will happen as he gets older. There is literally no other goalie in the NHL I'd swap Price for, even without the fandom issue.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
No, not really, unless we can pick and choose otherwise I see not reason to do it. Last season we wouldn't have made the playoffs with Quick and Doughty playing instead of Price and Subban.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I don't think there is a current duo that I would trade for even up.
Lundquist is too old
Crawford is crawford
Rinne is an injury risk.

Quick Doughty is probably the closest but Quick's style worries me, he has had a few hip issues and his low crouch style is a Diepietro hip waiting to happen. Doughty/Subban are very similar players. I like Subban a bit more based on, wait for it, his contract. he is signed for 3 years more than Doughty albeit for $2m more per. When Doughty's deal ends he is gonna cost a small fortune.

The final kicker, I think Doughty and Quick have reached there potential. Subban and Price still have upside.

Looking at the Olympics Doughty was arguably the best skater of canada's starting 6, Weber had the best shot. the no 7 guy skates just as good or better than Doughty and his shot rivals that of Weber.

Doughty hasnt even turned 25 years old yet.
To say he's already hit his ultimate "ceiling" is extremely laughable.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I like the Price - Subban duo and plan to enjoy watching them lead the Habs too many Stanley Cup Finals & Championships, so no swaps for me!:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad