Would you trade our First Round Draft Pick for a top Left Defenseman

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
A broken clock is right twice a day

Yeah , but it isn't right more than that
Alternatively the jets have been far more successful drafting D than would be expected from blind luck.
Two top pairing D in 6 drafts? + thecollection of forwards we have drafted?That is the exact opposite of the problem you are pointing at.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Ryan Murray at this stage in his career isn't worth a too 10 pick. The Jets also don't have the ability to protect him without losing another good defensive piece.

De Haan might be a good candidate. He is a year older than Scheifele and if remora serves he's been very good on the advanced stats side of things.

The idea would be that we'd protect 5 D, Little, Wheeler & Scheif. There is lots of debate even within our board about who should be protected. Protecting 8 skaters, 5 of them D means that Vegas has their choice of Lowry (opens spot for Roslovic), Perrault (opens spot for Connor or maybe Petan), Armia, Dano Copp (replaceable bottom 6 forwards). no matter who vegas picks we'd be able to replace them and the D would suddenly be pretty solid:

Morrissey - Trouba
De Haan - Buff
Enstrom - Myers (P.S. last season Enstrom myers was our top pair)

It's an interesting idea to me just because we're sort of overflowing with young forwards and trading for the exact LHD that we need fixes the D (pending Trouba outcome) for a number of years.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yeah , but it isn't right more than that
Alternatively the jets have been far more successful drafting D than would be expected from blind luck.
Two top pairing D in 6 drafts? + thecollection of forwards we have drafted?That is the exact opposite of the problem you are pointing at.

There are biases in their decision making that suggests it is indeed that they've done so well despite and would do better with more optimal methods.

Two players off the top of my head that PCS said the Jets undervalue: Gostisbehere and McCabe.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The idea would be that we'd protect 5 D, Little, Wheeler & Scheif. There is lots of debate even within our board about who should be protected. Protecting 8 skaters, 5 of them D means that Vegas has their choice of Lowry (opens spot for Roslovic), Perrault (opens spot for Connor or maybe Petan), Armia, Dano Copp (replaceable bottom 6 forwards). no matter who vegas picks we'd be able to replace them and the D would suddenly be pretty solid:

Morrissey - Trouba
De Haan - Buff
Enstrom - Myers (P.S. last season Enstrom myers was our top pair)

It's an interesting idea to me just because we're sort of overflowing with young forwards and trading for the exact LHD that we need fixes the D (pending Trouba outcome) for a number of years.

This was a suggestion from Holden quite some time ago (3-5-1), and I think it has considerable merit.

Unless you think that one of the other forwards is much better than all of the remaining forwards, it won't be a huge issue which player Vegas takes. I think the main decision would be whether the Jets would contemplate exposing Perreault at this point.

Whatever the Jets do, they need to focus on getting a top-4 LD that can move the puck quickly and effectively.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think it is very unrealistic to think we could get a young, elite defence man for our first round pick. Would you guys trade Trouba for the 8th pick? Nope.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it is very unrealistic to think we could get a young, elite defence man for our first round pick. Would you guys trade Trouba for the 8th pick? Nope.

Well only a couple of seasons ago Hamilton went for a collection of picks. I don't believe any of them was a top 10 so it does happen. It might be even more likely given the expansion draft. Teams might be loath to loose a good dmen for nothing so they'll take a quality future piece.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I think the more relevant question is would you trade the ~#8 pick for a second pairing quality defenseman? Things can change but at the moment it certainly looks like Morrissey's trajectory might fill that top pairing requirement on its own. Morrissey-Trouba seems pretty palatable for the next while, providing we can retain Trouba.

And FWIW I would trade that pick for a solid, young defenseman.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Am still not convinced goaltending is this teams biggest issue so I wouldn't trade it for that. 1st round pick does have a chance of becoming elite Ehlers like player which could net far more value later than what we might get trading it before picking that player.

I think Calgary did it perfectly - their early 2nd round pick for a goalie who at first looked a bit like a misstep but is now paying dividends.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I chose #2 (although its highly unlikely anyone would give you anything of close to that value unless you were picking 1-2OA. #3 is also attractive although again I can't see us getting much more than a cast-off for that.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I hope Jets won't trade their 1st round pick in any circumstances.
Keep that pick and draft best defenceman or goalie available no matter of that how lousy draft this years draft is..

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Whaaat?

Your argument is self refuting. we can't properly draft D....except for the great D we have already drafted.... :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

If the Jets staff can't pick D how is it that Morrisey and trouba are both Jets?

Whilee said the pro scouts haven't found any good D, which is true they have yet to sign an NHL caliber defenseman free agent. I really hope they can sign a couple this offseason, but if they are unable to then trading a high pick with a pretty good chance of becoming a defenseman is risky since that's been their more successful way of impoving the d-corps.

Anyways, I'd be hesitant to trade the pick away if I were the Jets, this player would fit in really well with the young core and their drafting has been really good, but if a Dougie Hamilton type player becomes available I'd probably pull the trigger. But would prefer to try and trade lower picks for more project type young defensemen like Ryan Murray.

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
Trade away? I'd rather not. I'd definitely trade down though. There's three first round guys I'm very interested in this season. Would like to add at least two.

Cody Glass - C/RW
Cal Foote - RHD
Nic Hague - LHD

I'd keep the first, but wouldn't be upset in trading the rest of the picks.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If we pick lower than sixth, I would be happy with a 2LHD like de Haan.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
First off, it depends where we're picking and who's available. But I want Valimaki or Heiskanen.

If that first round pick is traded for a guy like Aaron Ekblad, consider it done.

Though I think we could package Petan, Dano, Kosmachuk for a star D.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
First off, it depends where we're picking and who's available. But I want Valimaki or Heiskanen.

If that first round pick is traded for a guy like Aaron Ekblad, consider it done.

Though I think we could package Petan, Dano, Kosmachuk for a star D.

No you can't. You might not even be able to get a grade A D-Man prospect.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
De Haan isn't worth a top 10 pick.

I disagree and there are lots of top 10 picks worse than de Haan....Trouba's draft year Reinhart 3rd, Pouliot 8th, Pouliot 10th.
Also, de Haan is a 2nd pairing D man now, not in 4 years.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I definitely wouldn't trade a top 10 pick for de Haan. Just going off what I've heard he sounds like Ron Hainsey 2.0, solid defensively but not much else going for him. I'd rather go for someone younger with a higher ceiling.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd easily trade for an 'elite' defenceman
Goalie probably not, although yes for the top few
No real point in moving down IMO, at that point just draft the best one available

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Well only a couple of seasons ago Hamilton went for a collection of picks. I don't believe any of them was a top 10 so it does happen. It might be even more likely given the expansion draft. Teams might be loath to loose a good dmen for nothing so they'll take a quality future piece.

Maybe one of those Minnesota guys?

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
There are biases in their decision making that suggests it is indeed that they've done so well despite and would do better with more optimal methods.

Two players off the top of my head that PCS said the Jets undervalue: Gostisbehere and McCabe.

I have no idea what you are saying with this? Or how in anyway it demonstrates your point.

beyond the obvious suspects EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THAT CHART IS A LATE ROUND LOW % SHOT at the NHL.

Is your conclusion the jets haven't drafted 100% perfectly in each and every round? Or maybe the scouts misjudged a player here or there? Please demonstrate which team in the NHL has 100% perfect draft record. I can't think of one, not even Detroit.

Which forward pick should we have given up to take a "D"? Ehlers?

Yes the Jets maybe could have been more focused on drafting D in the earlier rounds...but the prospect cupboard needed to be filled with everything, and when you get a Nic Petan,say, in the second you have to take him. BPA is the phrase I keep hearing.

Our "sure-fire" 1st rounders have been hits, that is more than some teams ever get. a bunch of our offensive prospects have eaten up the upper rounds, so yes we need to focus on drafting high end "D" if we can. but i don't think it's a scouting issue.

The pro's weve taken? All low rent Journeymen at best. that's a Management decision not scouting. You can't rely on those type of guys to be excellent. you hope someone can rise to the challenge, but most don't.

Again what "pro" do you think they should have picked up via trade or FA? was that pro interested in Winnipeg? was he really a fit for our team etc? we know character and smarts are a big piece of the TNSE draft profile.

Poolman could be great we don't really know. Same with Stanley. if those guys turn out to be good picks are we still having this discussion?

we know the GM and ownership are committed to draft and develop... I think this is what it looks like.

Our real issues are coaching. I'm more and more convinced of that with each game I watch.
PoMo and the gang,ALL OF THEM need to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00