Would you trade our First Round Draft Pick for a top Left Defenseman

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I was thinking about this, and even if it goes against the "draft and develop" plan, the Jets desperately need defensive depth. Nogier and Strait as the top AHL call-ups will ensure the Jets remain out of the playoffs.

Hypothetically, if the Jets drafted 7th or 8th Overall, would you trade away that pick for a 24 year old 1st pairing LHD that could mentor Morrissey, and replace Enstrom, once his contract is off the books? How about a veteran NHL goalie, who is at his prime (25-28), and can mentor Helle? Keep in mind this draft will not be as strong as the drafts of 2015 or 2016.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Depends on which D.

Hell no to goalie. Market is softer than that for goalies.

An elite starting goalie? Assume the right age and contract, enough games for that .916 to be meaningful. Hellya!

I don't think we get offered the D or the G either unless he is too old to really fit with our younger core but I would do any of those options for the right players. Just not happening.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
They'd need to take Enström back.

Or Myers, but I wouldn't want to suddenly be looking for another RD and uncertain if Trouba's willing to stay.

And .916% isn't elite.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Depends on which D.

Hell no to goalie. Market is softer than that for goalies.

Completely agree. D better be young and good. I'm imagining missing out on the next Morrissey or Trouba from a top 10 pick. I'd prefer trying to find an undervalued D on the trade or free agent market. The problem is that Chevy and his pro scouts haven't demonstrated a capacity for assessing defensmen consistently.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I was thinking about this, and even if it goes against the "draft and develop" plan, the Jets desperately need defensive depth. Nogier and Strait as the top AHL call-ups will ensure the Jets remain out of the playoffs.

Hypothetically, if the Jets drafted 7th or 8th Overall, would you trade away that pick for a 24 year old 1st pairing LHD that could mentor Morrissey, and replace Enstrom, once his contract is off the books? How about a veteran NHL goalie, who is at his prime (25-28), and can mentor Helle? Keep in mind this draft will not be as strong as the drafts of 2015 or 2016.

Thoughts?

You have a lot of concepts kind of muddled up in here. A 24 y/o top pairing defenseman isn't doing anything for your defensive depth in the A. You will still have the crap there. Maybe it is enough to push Stu there but that is still crap. If you push an NHL quality 6/7 defenseman down (ex Postma or Chiarot)) he will just be picked up by another team on waivers. Actually your best chance to improve your depth in the A is hold onto the pick and select a D-man as now you will have a player of higher quality that you can bring back and forth while they are developing on their ELC.

But to answer your question unlikely for a goalie and most definitely for a defenseman. A 24 y/o top pairing defenseman is exactly what you'd love to draft at # 7 or 8 with the benefit of speeding up the development clock and plunking him down in the heart of your young core. Assuming he is truley top pairing and has signed long term. No need to worry about mentoring Morrissey the kid gets it, I'd be more concerned that the new player was a good fit with buff and just let Morrissey and Trouba dominate.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
For the right dmen I would deal it, but teams aren't usually looking to move those types for a pick that may turn into the type of player they already have.

I'd also be looking a dmen that would be effective playing with Buff.

Not interested in moving it for a goalie. Can find a good one for less assets.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Funny this thread was made, I just thought yesterday afternoon how this might be the perfect year/draft to trade our first round pick to fill a roster need. If we can get the right defenceman at the right age, I am all for it.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'd be fine for it but it seems unlikely. You don't often see 24 and under players moved for picks, so your probably looking at a situation where your either picking up a prospect the team has decided they want to move on from (Griffin Reinhart, but hopefully someone a lot better), or an RFA that's refusing to sign/too expensive.

No names come to mind in the above scenarios :(

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I'd be fine for it but it seems unlikely. You don't often see 24 and under players moved for picks, so your probably looking at a situation where your either picking up a prospect the team has decided they want to move on from (Griffin Reinhart, but hopefully someone a lot better), or an RFA that's refusing to sign/too expensive.

No names come to mind in the above scenarios :(

Ryan Murray from Columbus? Former 2nd overall pick that has been plagued by injuries that have stunted his development. Currently playing on the 3rd pair in Columbus behind Werenski and Jack Johnson. As a result of the expansion draft Columbus could lose Johnson as they'll want to protect Jones, Savard and Murray. Dealing Murray for expansion exempt pieces means they can protect Johnson and keep their top 4 intact. I don't know if they'd move him but he's an interesting target for me.

The expansion draft opens up other possibilities too. Our 1st for De Haan or Scandella from Las Vegas? I'm sure Vegas would like 2 top 10 picks in their inaugural draft.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Those are decent suggestions but I'd need to see some numbers on them to be comfortable moving that pick.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Completely agree. D better be young and good. I'm imagining missing out on the next Morrissey or Trouba from a top 10 pick. I'd prefer trying to find an undervalued D on the trade or free agent market. The problem is that Chevy and his pro scouts haven't demonstrated a capacity for assessing defensmen consistently.

Whaaat?

Your argument is self refuting. we can't properly draft D....except for the great D we have already drafted.... :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

If the Jets staff can't pick D how is it that Morrisey and trouba are both Jets?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I voted don't trade because I don't think any team gives up an elite young D for our pick alone. If the Jets want to snag one of those, they might have to include the pick in the package, but that's not how I interpreted the poll question.

I would rather trade existing players/prospects and leave the pick out of it. My reason is purely selfish. Draft day (the televised first round) is the highlight event of my off-season. I look forward to several hours in my comfy recliner with some good quaffables watching the draft unfold, and that experience would be ruined if the Jets weren't participating. If anything, I want more first round picks.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Whaaat?

Your argument is self refuting. we can't properly draft D....except for the great D we have already drafted.... :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

If the Jets staff can't pick D how is it that Morrisey and trouba are both Jets?

A broken clock is right twice a day

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Whaaat?

e38bd9d9d4399e8759c39b83c0c30f7e3609494637f4d2d772e07219aeab3dd8.jpg

:D

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ryan Murray from Columbus? Former 2nd overall pick that has been plagued by injuries that have stunted his development. Currently playing on the 3rd pair in Columbus behind Werenski and Jack Johnson. As a result of the expansion draft Columbus could lose Johnson as they'll want to protect Jones, Savard and Murray. Dealing Murray for expansion exempt pieces means they can protect Johnson and keep their top 4 intact. I don't know if they'd move him but he's an interesting target for me.

The expansion draft opens up other possibilities too. Our 1st for De Haan or Scandella from Las Vegas? I'm sure Vegas would like 2 top 10 picks in their inaugural draft.

Ryan Murray at this stage in his career isn't worth a too 10 pick. The Jets also don't have the ability to protect him without losing another good defensive piece.

De Haan might be a good candidate. He is a year older than Scheifele and if remora serves he's been very good on the advanced stats side of things.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I would in a heartbeat. We need D help at the NHL and prospect level. Who do we have on D that has 2nd line+ potential. Logan Stanley? Even that's a bit of a stretch.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
For a good top pair defenseman? Won't happen anyway. A young top 4 could work to an offense starved team.

For an elite goalie under 30? Absolutely. Schneider for 9th overall. Even those don't come along very often though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I get that the goalie market is soft relative to other positions but that does not apply to 'elite' goalies. .916 is not quite elite and I'm not interested in one who is 30+ but just as it is in regards to D men the answer has to depend on the player we are talking about. If it is Braden Holtby then of course you do it. How about Martin Jones? Or John Gibson?

You are giving up a probable 2nd pair D who won't be ready for that job for 4-5 years, 3 at least. With our history in goal you turn that down? I'm pretty sure none of those are available but that wasn't the question. The D trades specified aren't available for that price either.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
At this point, Probably not.

I'd rather move Myers or even Little or Wheeler for that LHD...

Think you gotta keep the draft pick.

Would i consider trading down if we won a lottery pick? That might make things a little more interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad