Would you take Rasmus Dahlin over Adam Fox and Charlie McAvoy?

Would you take Rasmus Dahlin over Adam Fox and Charlie McAvoy?

• Yes I would over both

Votes: 207 43.9%
  • Yes I would over Fox but not McAvoy

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Yes I would over McAvoy but not Fox

Votes: 121 25.7%
  • No not for either

Votes: 110 23.4%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 19 4.0%

• Total voters

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I voted yes. Dahlin's upside is ridiculously high. He's not as polished as the other 2 yet, makes more mistakes, but that's because he is young, still improving and rounding out his game. I think he will win 2-3 Norris trophies in his career. Dude just controls the game when he's on the ice.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
And Fox keeps right on doing what Fox does, play at an elite level at both ends of the ice.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Lol I read this as Rasmus Sandin first time I saw it and was so confused why anyone would make it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
A second round pick by the Flames ends up a Norris winner. How sad is that?

I'm also wondering how Fox slipped through the cracks in the draft. Why wasn't he taken first overall. If scouts had a crystal ball, things would be so different.

What would the oilers look like had they reached to take Fox 3rd overall instead of Puljujarvi? :) there might have been a riot to fire Chiarelli in Edmonton.

Fox doesn't have a particular standout physical skill and that worried scouts who continued to doubt whether he'd be able to translate his game to the NHL right up until the point when he did.

He's not overly big, he's not overly fast (though his edge work is very good), he doesn't have a big shot...but he's the smartest defenseman in the game at reading the play and outright manipulating the play and other players. His hands are also excellent and underrated.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'm also wondering how Fox slipped through the cracks in the draft. Why wasn't he taken first overall. If scouts had a crystal ball, things would be so different.
Isn't the reason he fell the exact same reason Flames couldn't sign him? If Oilers pick him 3rd overall, it's a wasted pick because he plays in college and then joins the Rangers.

And of course, Oilers had the 4th pick, not the 3rd.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Fox is better for now, would argue Dahlin on his upside though. McAvoy is amazing but would probably take Dahlin first, not a slight.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Yes for McAvoy, but I’d like to see one more year of Dahlin before I take him over Fox.

Don’t read too much into this comparison as I’m talking general style and how he impacts, but Fox is more of a Lidstrom than your peak offensive defenseman: stellar defensively (probably the best of all the star defenseman)

He like Lidstrom can score at ppg, but won’t necessarily every year… but still dictating the pace of play. Fox honestly gets underrated if he’s not leading the pack offensively and I say that as someone who hates the Rangers

Dahlin can still improve but he absolutely was not as good as Fox or McAvoy defensively last year, some people overrate his defense a bit

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Dahlin can still improve but he absolutely was not as good as Fox or McAvoy defensively last year, some people overrate his defense a bit

They're pretty much running away with it so far this season too.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
They're pretty much running away with it so far this season too.
Too early to say anything definitively yet, but yea if I was to gamble on it I’d gamble on history repeating til I see otherwise.

Regardless if he ends up a two way menace or just an offensive dynamo I won’t care as long as he keeps getting better. Idk why but I love the current wave of defensemen more than forwards. Seems like they aren’t auto funneling the most talented kids into wing or center these days lol

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Isn't the reason he fell the exact same reason Flames couldn't sign him? If Oilers pick him 3rd overall, it's a wasted pick because he plays in college and then joins the Rangers.

And of course, Oilers had the 4th pick, not the 3rd.
Yup. So why did the Flames waste their pick on fox? Might as well nobody picked him in the draft.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Too early to say anything definitively yet, but yea if I was to gamble on it I’d gamble on history repeating til I see otherwise.

Regardless if he ends up a two way menace or just an offensive dynamo I won’t care as long as he keeps getting better. Idk why but I love the current wave of defensemen more than forwards. Seems like they aren’t auto funneling the most talented kids into wing or center these days lol

Funny thing is Dahlin started as a centre, then switched positions when he was 13. Because he got to play more and touch the puck more.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not surprised that Fox's, McAvoy's, Heiskanen's teams are elite and Dahlin's team is lottery team again despite the high expectations

To be fair, this year if you count the game where Fox missed most of the game against the Canes, the Rangers are 4-0-1. I believe last year McAvoy missed significant time and the Bruins still won. Same this year with his suspension, I believe. It's not just one player.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Physical
Fox, despite many HF experts opinion, is clearly the best of these three. The guy does it at both ends of the ice, year over year.

Physical talent they are all pretty damn close. McAvoy and Dahlin have more range in their skating ability and are more physical defensively. What separates Fox is he has
better stick handling and offensive IQ.

Regardless, they are all top 10 D in the NHL and every team would love to have them.
McAvoy was shot out of a cannon tonight. Was his best game this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad