Would you let Bozak and JVR walk?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I think Nylander will get 6.5 this summer and Marner 7 next with Matthews pulling in 10.5

I really don't see a spot for Tavares. He is a great player but we have Matthews and Kadri as a great 1-2 punch. There's not a whole lot of teams who get 70 goals for a combined 14.5ish million (Kadri 30 + Low end Matthews 40).

That's 24m for our big three. I wonder if the Leafs can get away with cheap D-man costing under 5m a piece. I think our D is in a real good place if we can find a good replacement for Hainsey.

Wouldn't be apposed to moving someone like Johnsson in a package for a legit Top 4 RHD

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Some make it sound as if we lose JVR were losing 30 goals and replacing it with nothing. Even were we to do that, we'd still be in the upper half of the league scoring wise and that's without taking into consideration improvements from our young players, which is likely and would compensate for his departure. Add on the contributions of the player replacing JVR (say 50%) and we're still a very strong team with the puck, sitting around 10/11th based on this year's scoring by team. You then consider the total lack of defensive awareness that he brings to the table and the likelihood that his replacement is better defensively and that the replacement will not cost us 6x6 and I don't know how you can argue that signing him is a good thing. Give me a LWer at 1.5/2.5 who can score 15 goals and is a better defensive player than JVR and use the extra 3.5 on a Dman upgrade and I'll take it all day long.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Bozak at a max of 3x3 (he'll probably get more and move elsewhere) is a signing I'd consider. Put him with Kapanen and/or Brown with someone like Johnsson and I believe his defensive shortcomings would be reduced because of the more aware players on his wings. He'd still contribute in the Ozone, but his weaknesses in our end wouldn't be as severe as they are now while he is partnered with JVR. The 1.2 you'd save if he were signed at 3 coupled with the 3.5 savings you'd realize by not signing JVR brings you to 4.7m. You'd be able to rationalize a stable presence on D with that money.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think Nylander will get 6.5 this summer and Marner 7 next with Matthews pulling in 10.5

I really don't see a spot for Tavares. He is a great player but we have Matthews and Kadri as a great 1-2 punch. There's not a whole lot of teams who get 70 goals for a combined 14.5ish million (Kadri 30 + Low end Matthews 40).

That's 24m for our big three. I wonder if the Leafs can get away with cheap D-man costing under 5m a piece. I think our D is in a real good place if we can find a good replacement for Hainsey.

Wouldn't be apposed to moving someone like Johnsson in a package for a legit Top 4 RHD

The key might be what they feel Willy's future is. If they are lukewarm on him at center and feel he and Matthews are a duo to stick with, that's a lot different then them thinking he will be ready to play at C next training camp. Boz gets about 16:00 TOI the last couple of years and Kadri a few seconds more. I think they can give Tavares the minutes he needs to produce by giving him the pp time that Boz and some of the wingers get right now. The Leafs are using 4 forwards and 1 D for their pp so they are already biasing the right way. JT replaces JVR on the pp while giving them a game breaker at even strength. The money might not allow that though.

I would move AJ for Rasmus Andersson from Calgary, although i would like to somehow have both.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I agree we will need to another C to replace TyBo. Just don't want it to be TyBo. Lou needs to pull up his socks and find a better #3C or better.

I'm not sure that is rational though. Who is better than TyBo, in free agency? What will they cost? Or, what are you willing to trade?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'm not sure that is rational though. Who is better than TyBo, in free agency? What will they cost? Or, what are you willing to trade?
Thornton, but after that I don't want any UFA either already on our team or not.

With Thornton, 3 1st lines

Marleau-Thornton-Kapanen
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner
Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown

Without

Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Hyman
Leivo-Matthews-Kapanen
X-Aaltonen-Brown

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
iF we're so tight with cap room, do we really want JVR for 8 years? The moment this guy struglles all of you would freak out next year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Thornton, but after that I don't want any UFA either already on our team or not.

Marleau-Thornton-Kapanen
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner
Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown

Without

Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Hyman
Leivo-Matthews-Kapanen
X-Aaltonen-Brown
Thornton is sooooo sloooow

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Thornton is sooooo sloooow
Plays the game as quick as JVR so we aren't losing team speed, solidifies our C depth as #1 in the league for a year until Nylander can make a quick transition, and with his elite playmaking our PP won't miss a beat moving on from JVR/Bozak. Not to forget his chemistry with Marleau.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Plays the game as quick as JVR so we aren't losing team speed, solidifies our C depth as #1 in the league for a year until Nylander can make a quick transition, and with his elite playmaking our PP won't miss a beat moving on from JVR/Bozak. Not to forget his chemistry with Marleau.

Are you sure about that? I can't imagine that Thornton would beat JVR in a foot race, I don't even think he'd even beat Bozak.

Reactions: Wings4Life

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Are you sure about that? I can't imagine that Thornton would beat JVR in a foot race, I don't even think he'd even beat Bozak.
In a foot race no, but I'm including the fact that JVR plays at 50% for 95% of the game.

Year after next of having Thornton turns out to

Korshkov-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Kadri-Hyman

Rielly-X
Dermott-Liljegren

With every youngin having plenty of experience to move past the vets in that time

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
In a foot race no, but I'm including the fact that JVR plays at 50% for 95% of the game.

Korshkov-Matthews-Marner
Grundstrom-Kadri-Hyman

Rielly-X
Dermott-Liljegren

With every youngin having plenty of experience to move past the vets in that time

I think we'd really notice how slow he is, we're a team that uses it speed to burn opponents, even when we cycle the puck we use our speed to overwhelm the opposition. I like Thornton but I don't think he'd made a good option as third line center with how we've built our team.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Korshkov-Matthews-Marner
Grundstrom-Kadri-Hyman

Rielly-X
Dermott-Liljegren

why is it you think that Korshkov will be playing in the NHL in two years? I think that judgement should be reserved after seeing what he does at the WC's and at camp if he comes over, which he may not...also don't bet against Dakota Joshua coming out this year, I have no idea if he will or not, but he had a big year, the only question is, does he want to finish his degree?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I had strongly considered Thornton as an option as well, and had proposed it in other discussions. I'm rethinking that now.

He's slow already, and hasn't played now since January, having had MCL surgery in his right knee. It looks like he might be available for the second round of the playoffs, should San Jose get that far.

During the off season, he had ACL AND MCL surgery on his left knee.... Is this a sign, that his body is breaking down? Will his speed be greatly affected?

I mean the guys had a great career, had durability and would theoretically be a great add... but, this might just be one that Father Time says isn't a good idea.... and this assumes he doesn't resign with the Sharks.

If it isn't Thornton... then it pretty much has to be Nylander.... though we are still going to need a decent 4C too.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I had strongly considered Thornton as an option as well, and had proposed it in other discussions. I'm rethinking that now.

He's slow already, and hasn't played now since January, having had MCL surgery in his right knee. It looks like he might be available for the second round of the playoffs, should San Jose get that far.

During the off season, he had ACL AND MCL surgery on his left knee.... Is this a sign, that his body is breaking down? Will his speed be greatly affected?

I mean the guys had a great career, had durability and would theoretically be a great add... but, this might just be one that Father Time says isn't a good idea.... and this assumes he doesn't resign with the Sharks.

If it isn't Thornton... then it pretty much has to be Nylander.... though we are still going to need a decent 4C too.

Regarding Thornton, I thought we might revisit the idea of signing him as a UFA if he's out there again this offseason. However, last time, I imagine he was looked at as a replacement for Bozak. I wonder if the interest is still there if it means not having Nylander at C?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I would rather move Nylander to C than resign TyBo if we don't win the Tavares sweepstake.

Hyman Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Brown
Maroon/Vanek/JVR Nylander Marner
Grundstrom Aaltonen Johnsson

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Bozak at a max of 3x3 (he'll probably get more and move elsewhere) is a signing I'd consider. Put him with Kapanen and/or Brown with someone like Johnsson and I believe his defensive shortcomings would be reduced because of the more aware players on his wings. He'd still contribute in the Ozone, but his weaknesses in our end wouldn't be as severe as they are now while he is partnered with JVR. The 1.2 you'd save if he were signed at 3 coupled with the 3.5 savings you'd realize by not signing JVR brings you to 4.7m. You'd be able to rationalize a stable presence on D with that money.
Well if someone like Brown can apparently minimize Bozaks deficiencies, I'm sure Johnnson could.

I believe Bozak is currently second on the team among forwards in GA/60 5v5 and has been basically lights out since Jan 1.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
A lot of your points are enticing no doubt. He brings a lot but the main issue is his injuries.

Marleau is old too, but he's been durable his entire career. Thornton's knee injuries scare me, so I'd rather re-sign 42 or 25 if Thornton ends up being the best option via FA.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

He has a Hart trophy skill set though, and his real assets were always size/reach, strength, and passing skills and none of those is connected to foot speed. That's why he always outproduced Marleau who is a physical freak for his age. Also great on the dot and a bigger net front presence than JVR has ever been. I'm not saying he is close to his prime but I don't think there can be any question he has more game than Boz, and he gives a physical presence at C they haven't had since Sundin. He will be pricey but he will sign for a short term.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He has a Hart trophy skill set though, and his real assets were always size/reach, strength, and passing skills and none of those is connected to foot speed. That's why he always outproduced Marleau who is a physical freak for his age. Also great on the dot and a bigger net front presence than JVR has ever been. I'm not saying he is close to his prime but I don't think there can be any question he has more game than Boz, and he gives a physical presence at C they haven't had since Sundin. He will be pricey but he will sign for a short term.

Hopefully he recovers quick enough to play in the playoffs, so that perhaps we can see a little, if he has been affected a great deal by the two knee operations. I'd agree, a healthy Thornton is a great asset to have... but is he still ok, and durable? But then, he'd get reduced ice time here as well, which could help his durability, wear and tear.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Well if someone like Brown can apparently minimize Bozaks deficiencies, I'm sure Johnnson could.

I believe Bozak is currently second on the team among forwards in GA/60 5v5 and has been basically lights out since Jan 1.

I think that Leivo and his possession game (along with his shot) might be more suitable for the line than Johnsson. I'd prefer for the team to tryout a Johnsson-Aaltonen-Kapanen as the 3b line. Given that Andreas and Miro were dominating the AHL before they were split up, I'd like to see if they can replicate some of that in the NHL.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

His QoC is lower than most and his zone starts are O zone dominant. I'd hope he's improving. To be fair to Bozak, playing with JVR is not a benefit to one's defensive #s. Regardless, at 32, as a C who has never been known for D prowess, as a player who is not a great skater and could be expected to lose a step as he ages, whose numbers are regressing this year after a career year last year (to be expected) I don't see why one would pay him to a higher number than what he currently makes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad