Would you let Bozak and JVR walk?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Johnsson Tavares Brown
Grundstrom Aaltonen Kapanen
Leivo

No room especially on wing. Upgrade needs to happen at center for us to move to consistent contenders.

When the Leafs make their pitch to Tavares, you honestly think they're telling him he gets to play with Brown and Johnsson?

Tavares gets one of the big 3 guaranteed.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
When the Leafs make their pitch to Tavares, you honestly think they're telling him he gets to play with Brown and Johnsson?

Tavares gets one of the big 3 guaranteed.

I think the pitch is, you will be playing with less pressure and less QoC on your ass now.

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Yes let a 30+ goal scorer like JVR walk.

Real smooth. SMFH

I just don’t see how a $6M x 6 year contract is any good for us. He is a current 30 goal scorer making $4M, but he won’t always be one. He will make more and eventually produce less. There are way better ways to spend that type of money over 2018 and 2019.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
bozak could take a small cut like 4x4 at that rate i would keep him, hes reall shining in his limited minutes and has a grazy gf/ga right now.

Jvr deserves to be paid i doubt he would take a noticeable pay cut, doubt he takes 5.5/5.75 x 6. hes prolly looking more of a 6.5x7 type of deal.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
JVR will get paid coming off a 30+ goal season. Theres no reason why he wouldn't get 6M+ in the open market. You gotta consider it anything below 6M, but anything over that you let him walk imo, you'll most deff get screwed in the long run trying to actually sign your important players. Unless they make a deal with Seattle to make them take JVR or something when the time comes.

horner

May 22, 2007

Real smooth. SMFH
I don't think they will let him walk for free.
Lou structure it like Marleau s contract.
Signing bonus
Marleau will be paid everything except for 1.25 million by July 1st 2019
Except for his cap hit of 6.25 in 2019-2020 his contact would be 1.25.
They will probably trade his contract + prospect for cap relief to a team that needs to hit the cap floor.

They may do the same thing will a JVR contract where 5th and 6th yr of the deal or 4 mil and 3 mil.
Although the cap hit will be the same.

Lou will work his magic

Mathew's 11
Marner. 8
Nylander 8
JVR. 6.5
Kadri . 4.5
Bozak . 4
Hyman. 2.25
Brown. 2.1
Kapanen 2.0
Grundstrom. 1.5
Johnson. 1.5
Levio. 1.5

Rielly. 5
Zaitsev. 4.5
Gardner. 5.5 Ufa in 2019-2020
Dermot. 4 is an rfa in 2000-2021
Ljiligren. 2
Carrick . 1.5

Anderson. 5
Backup. 1.5

Cap will probably be 84 million in 2019-2020
Our cap hit
82 million

We would need to trade Marleau s cap hit

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Real smooth. SMFH
Would you prefer being Boston and trading so much futures for a worse player in Nash and letting him walk after a few weeks.
I can't believe people wanted the Leafs to throw away a season and trade JVR for picks.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I like JvR, he's been a very good player for us. He's probably earned somewhere in the $6-7.5 million per range, that he is likely to get. That being said, it's a cap world. I'd rather have Tavares at $10 mil per, than JvR at $7 per... and I'm not for signing Tavares. How about allocating that Cap towards someone like John Carlson instead? Helps our RHD situation, which is in all probability a greater need.

I'd love to keep JvR, in a world where we didn't have to worry about what we spend.. but it's choosing where to spend that cap wisely. A shame... I'd love to have JvR starting now, on that LT $4.25 hit.

Also note, career shooting percentage... 11.5%, this year 15.4%. He's having a career year. If he's getting normal "luck" and shooting percentage, he's on 24 goals, and 40 points total so far in the year. That's 27 goal pace for the year and 45 points total. Is that worth $6 mil plus on the cap? When there is little else brought to the table? And keep in mind, shooting percentages, good, or bad, tend to regress back to the mean.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I was looking at where Plekanec's career and salary has gone. Think I would be okay with Bozak at $4,400,000 - $3,600,000 - 2,800,000, with average cap hit of $3.6 million.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I was looking at where Plekanec's career and salary has gone. Think I would be okay with Bozak at $4,400,000 - $3,600,000 - 2,800,000, with average cap hit of $3.6 million.

Bozak will get paid on the offseason. Not enough quality centres. Someone will give him $5M or close to it.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
This is a tough situation because depth-wise on our team - C and LW are our "weak" spots.

I always go C over W - but when you have JvR scoring at will like it seems it makes it hard to want to let him go, but we gotta think big picture here. Career year, > 15% shooting, etc. He deserves to be paid no doubt especially when he's averaged ~30 goals during his 6-year contract. That doesn't mean we have to be the team to pay him - let a team desperate for offense give him his $7m he desires.

I prefer we sign Bozak/Pleks they can both be had on the cheap and would help solidify our centre depth, or also give Alt a shot in training camp.

Regarding the hole on LW left by JvR - We have many options on the NHL/AHL (Johnsson, Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Marchment, T. Moore, Timashov) or worst case free agency.

With JvR's now $6-7m saved, we can use that on other team needs like RD.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Other teams will be able to give JVR more money and more ice time.

It's well documented that JVR has invested large sums of money in skills coaching over the off-season - He's not going to take a discount.

As much as we love to pencil in the big name Ontario free agent every year, Tavares is a long shot, even if we have the space and are competitive. With that in mind, I think it's more likely we sign bozak to a shorter term term rather than JVR.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Their value to the team has been underestimated by many. We don't have anyone ready to fill those particular roles within the system.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I think it makes more sense to re-sign them both for a comparable cap hit to what Tavares will command. JVR and Bozak make our forward group deeper and stronger than Tavares alone would, with all due respect to him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I hope there is another GM out that that will pay more so that he does not resign here. If he is not a core player, say good-bye.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Their value to the team has been underestimated by many. We don't have anyone ready to fill those particular roles within the system.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I think it makes more sense to re-sign them both for a comparable cap hit to what Tavares will command. JVR and Bozak make our forward group deeper and stronger than Tavares alone would, with all due respect to him.

Don't agree. Tavares will make his wingers better. TyBo does not and TyBo and JVR are tire fires in our end. You can't bring back the same old cast and leave it on the backs of the kids to carry us to the next level.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hopefully not by the Leafs. We need to move on from TyBo.
I see the CyNick's point though. There is a lack of quality centers available and that is an organization position we are hurting for. Really hurting. Will some team like Montreal overpay for Stastny/Bozak? Quite possible.
Remove all UFAs and we have:
Matthews
Kadri
Aaltonen
Gauthier
Better or worse?
Goodbye JVR/Plek/2nd/Bozak/whatever.
Every move or non move has a price to pay someday.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I see the CyNick's point though. There is a lack of quality centers available and that is an organization position we are hurting for. Really hurting. Will some team like Montreal overpay for Stastny/Bozak? Quite possible.
Remove all UFAs and we have:
Matthews
Kadri
Aaltonen
Gauthier
Better or worse?
Goodbye JVR/Plek/2nd/Bozak/whatever.
Every move or non move has a price to pay someday.

I agree we will need to another C to replace TyBo. Just don't want it to be TyBo. Lou needs to pull up his socks and find a better #3C or better.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Interesting theory, I don't see it myself. Tavares is a couple of tiers above Bozak so the question is - how much better is JVR then whoever replaces him? Or look at it this way, we currently have a sheltered line made up of JVR, Bozak and Brown. If we had instead a line made up of Johnsson, Tavares and Brown, is that better or worse? I think it's better and it's not particularly close either.

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->