Would you let Bozak and JVR walk?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If we can sign Tavares.. I don't see us signing him because it's too good to be true for him to come here.
If Leafs sign JT they pretty much guarantee one of Willy or Mitch are getting traded so I doubt they make a move to sign JT to the 10 million bucks a year he wants at least.

Rather use some of that cap to make a run at a UFA defender like Carlson.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
JvR is gone at the draft, imho possibly coupled with a 2nd to move up into a low first

Bozak I'd offer him 2 years @3m each, seeing as Tavares isn't exactly a sure thing and even if Tavares is Bozzie would make a helluva 4th line centre

Reactions: Klinton

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
These issues are independent.

Unless you want to let your UFAs test the market, you’ve got to make a decision before you know if JT hits the market.

The JT question probably depends on where you fit within the team building philosophy.

He’s 28 next season. A 7 year deal at near max cap hit takes him to 35. Do you want that kind of money tied up long term in that age bracket.

Some do. Some don’t.

I personally don’t.

Reactions: dsred

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
absolutely. i wanted them gone at the deadline so no way in hell i'd want them back when the season is over. their time here is done and they can be replaced for cheaper

Reactions: bonjovi0308

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
I'll drive Bozak to the airport myself...we need to move on from him.

JVR is another story. He gets paid $4.75M now, if we can sign him for the same as Josh Bailey got, 6 years at $5M per, do we do it? You'd have to look at it closely, guys like JVR are not easily replaced. I guarantee you we'll miss him when he's gone.

that would be a no brainer

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes.

With the current core, both are just complimentary guys and given their age you don’t tie up a lot of money in those types.

If nobody wants Bozak in the offseason, Leafs could offer him a one year deal but I’m sure one team will give him another 4X5 deal.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
No problem letting Bozak walk. Not happy about letting a guy who can score like JVR go for nothing though...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
JvR is gone at the draft, imho possibly coupled with a 2nd to move up into a low first

Bozak I'd offer him 2 years @3m each, seeing as Tavares isn't exactly a sure thing and even if Tavares is Bozzie would make a helluva 4th line centre

What do you mean JVR coupled with a 2nd? That just won't happen man. JVR is just gone unless we sign him.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I’d let them walk. Those 6 year x $6 million type deals given to 30 year old UFAs for past performance never seem to work out. I think they’re satisfied once they have their big contract, and the 2nd liners don’t have the skills to both coast and still produce.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I’d let them walk. Those 6 year x $6 million type deals given to 30 year old UFAs for past performance never seem to work out. I think they’re satisfied once they have their big contract, and the 2nd liners don’t have the skills to both coast and still produce.

A no brainer. Loui Ericksson, Andrew Ladd, Milan Lucic, David Backes, TJ Oshie, and Thomas Vanek are the average result of an FA winger signed into their 30s. Two or three decent years out of them if you are lucky and the rest of the money is basically flushed, with usually NT or NM clauses added on so you are married to the deal. As far as Boz goes, he is older, and his game has fallen off a lot more. Whether he is pouting because his days are numbered, or just having a bad season, there isn't much about him that says he is worth the risk of giving term to.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Let them walk unless someone want to negotiate with either early ... don't see anyone wasting a 2nd. round pick to get to talk to van Riemsdyk early.

Players move on, retire, sign elsewhere all the time.

Not a big deal they are all rentals of different duration.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Yes, Bozak for sure. JVR I'm mixed about, but I still believe we have someone internally that can at least impact as much on the game as JVR.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

why? i don't think rights are worth that much anymore, unless it's a sign + trade yah?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
JVR definitely. He'll be too expensive.

But Bozak back on a cheapo deal might work, and might be possible.

Reactions: dsred

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If we could sign Tavares, of course I’d let JvR and Bozak walk. Leo and Moore too, and dump Martin.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Brown

If guys like Grundstrom/Aaltonen aren’t ready, replace them with cheap UFAs (maybe even Komarov/Moore).

Now, how the cap works out in this scenario, hard to say! But if JT wants to sign here, and we can make it work cap wise, it’s a no-brainer.

Reactions: IBeL13f

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

JVR has no value left. Maybe if you're lucky, someone offers you a 4th for him, but most likely not. For teams who are interested, he will simply be one of a handful of possibilities for signings on July 1st. No way does he move you from a late 2nd to a late 1st.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad