Would the Leafs be doing better right now if Babcock wasn’t the coach?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As an oiler fan I truly hate defending the leafs. But I think that these latest threads about the Leafs and their coach shows how little understanding some posters have of hockey and development of the players. Matthews, Nylander and Marnier are all under 22. Leafs top D man is Reily who is 23. This is their first playoff experience and they are learning. When you have a core aged 19.20.21.23 and then toss in the other guys like Kapanen at 21 also getting their first playoff experience--there is a learning curb. I look at the oilers run last year and how getting into the second round actually did more harm than good and had the players and fans thinking they are better then they were.

Leafs are on a learning curb and posters and media talking heads need to realise that with such a young crew that it wont all be wine and roses

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Tippett, Borgström and Heponiemi are all first round picks. Borgström was NCAA (NCHC) Player of the Year and Hobey Baker finalist this season and Heponiemi got 118 points in 57 games in the WHL. We have to go back to 2000-2001 season to find someone with better PPG (Mike Comrie, who was 20 when the season started, Hepo was 18.)

Matthews played 1:40 more per game than Laine but I guess that doesn't matter?

It does, but Matthews did have a better PPG.
If I go by that, Marner is better than Laine!

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The Leafs would be doing better if they had won games 1,2,3, and 4. I think everyone can agree on that.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
It does, but Matthews did have a better PPG.
If I go by that, Marner is better than Laine!
Yeah it's kinda funny how this season was like a mirror of their rookie seasons.
But fine, if not Huby then what about Trocheck?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
As an oiler fan I truly hate defending the leafs. But I think that these latest threads about the Leafs and their coach shows how little understanding some posters have of hockey and development of the players. Matthews, Nylander and Marnier are all under 22. Leafs top D man is Reily who is 23. This is their first playoff experience and they are learning. When you have a core aged 19.20.21.23 and then toss in the other guys like Kapanen at 21 also getting their first playoff experience--there is a learning curb. I look at the oilers run last year and how getting into the second round actually did more harm than good and had the players and fans thinking they are better then they were.

Leafs are on a learning curb and posters and media talking heads need to realise that with such a young crew that it wont all be wine and roses

You do realize that the leafa made the playoffs last year right? It is not their first playoff experience.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You do realize that the leafa made the playoffs last year right? It is not their first playoff experience.
Regrdaless though, it seems weird that they are suddenly expected to do more when they went into this series the underdog. The team will only get better.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I don't really think a different coach would make the difference. They just look exhausted for some reason.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Sooo last year playoffs didn’t count for Marner, Matthews and Nylander? This isn’t their first playoff experience.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Regrdaless though, it seems weird that they are suddenly expected to do more when they went into this series the underdog. The team will only get better.

This is rich.

Everyone should go and read the original series thread again.

Three weeks ago, if I had called the Leafs an underdog I’d be one of those Leaf-haters that you always go on about.

Remember this next year during the regular season if you don’t want to create these kinds of expectations.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is rich.

Everyone should go and read the original series thread again.

Three weeks ago, if I had called the Leafs an underdog I’d be one of those Leaf-haters that you always go on about.

Remember this next year during the regular season if you don’t want to create these kinds of expectations.
The media (Toronto media) clearly had the Bruins as the favourite.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs were in a bit of a purgatory for a few months with a guaranteed third place and still did very well game to game, showing stretches of brilliance, etc. but maybe not in the habit of a playoff race and battling for their lives.

Taking the big picture approach, these are growing pains most every winning team will go through, but maybe it feels more painful because a certain hubristic swagger had set into Leaf Land recently, inflating expectations and all of a sudden they can't match the intensity, desperation and focus required to be better this series.

Matthews, Nylander, Marner are supposed to be leading the charge and have done so with mixes results. But assemble any core at that stage in their careers, Laine, Ehlers, Barzal, whatever without veteran supervision, you'll probably run into some problems too.

Reactions: NyQuil

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Not to misquote you, but how exactly were the Leafs under dogs? I recall Leaf fans being confident because he had the regular season record.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not to misquote you, but how exactly were the Leafs under dogs? I recall Leaf fans being confident because he had the regular season record.
Are we only counting the Leafs fans you spoke to on the internet?
The "Biased, Pro Leafs" Toronto media overwelmingly picked Boston. Vegas odds had Boston the favourite.
And i love your sarcasm! It was proven you misquoted me.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Are we only counting the Leafs fans you spoke to on the internet?
The "Biased, Pro Leafs" Toronto media overwelmingly picked Boston. Vegas odds had Boston the favourite.
And i love your sarcasm! It was proven you misquoted me.

I don’t want to misquote you but could you actually provide evidence? You didn’t provide any for Reilly being superior to Giordano, as it was proven.

Are you only counting the “Toronto media”?

Not to misquote you, but you didn’t prove anything. The context of that thread (posting it three weeks within the season LOL) was all that was needed. We all know what you were doing. Stop denying it.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don’t want to misquote you but could you actually provide evidence? You didn’t provide any for Reilly being superior to Giordano, as it was proven.

Are you only counting the “Toronto media”?

Not to misquote you, but you didn’t prove anything. The context of that thread (posting it three weeks within the season LOL) was all that was needed. We all know what you were doing. Stop denying it.

Still denying you changed my words and misquoted me. It was proven. You need to move on.
The Zaitsev comments were more about the previous season.

Do I really need to provide links to TSN and SNs preduitions? Look them up.

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So what he is saying is that the richest organization can not afford 4 tablets hooked in to every TV FEED known to man with each coach watching a different feed and seeing every angle? GTFO! What a lame ****ing excuse!! Here is one for you B-cock. turn to CBC, they have every angle. What a ****ing dumb ass.
Your are unbelievable for blaming this on Babcock. He’s on the bench with limited time to view the replay, nowhere near as much time as CBC has. He doesn’t control which angles he has at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad