Would the Leafs be doing better right now if Babcock wasn’t the coach?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
While the leafs haven’t played to their potential this round, you’re forgetting that Boston this year has looked near unstoppable since November and are a ******* damn good hockey team. There is no shame in that, we probably would have beat 12 out of the 15 teams in the playoffs in this first round, but Boston very likely crushes them all.
Short version: not good enough.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
WOW. You seriously saying bums like Johnsson or Kapanen will get more TOI than top-6 prospects like Heponiemi, Borgström and Tippett? The management has been a mess and despite that they nearly made the playoffs.

Huberdeau = Marner. Both had 69 points in 82 games this season. Marner may or may not get better than him but what nonsense to say they were not equal this season.
You were saying?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
They also might play les games against top contenders in other divisions.
What ?

They would play more games against the top contenders in their "new" division.

They would play the same number of games against the top contenders of two of the other three divisions.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What ?

They would play more games against the top contenders in their "new" division.

They would play the same number of games against the top contenders of two of the other three divisions.
103 point pace outisde their own division. It's ab.s argument.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hey-hey-ho-ho-mike-babcock-has-got-to-go.2479961/

So seeing as we’re not allowed to negatively discuss Babcock on the Leafs board I’d like to get other fans’ opinions on him.

I really think the Leafs would’ve fared much better with Cassidy/Sullivan/Quenneville/Cooper as their coach as opposed to Babcock.

Guy has been taken to school thanks to his stubbornness all series.

The Maple Leafs should replace their management team not their coach.

It was the General Manager's office that looked at that roster and thought the only thing that needed to be added to shore up the glaring weakness on the roster was Ron Hainsey.

What is Babcock supposed to do with that defense core? It's not his fault.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
His system is good but sometimes he is really stubborn and has a love affair with slow vets, and rarely changes lines until the last minute.

Leafs problem for the last couple of years has been defense. They need better D men. Only one I trust is Reilly and maybe Zietsev.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Nobody will ever know but I can say the Leafs would be a lot better if they didn't have to play 2 teams every night.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Maple Leafs should replace their management team not their coach.

It was the General Manager's office that looked at that roster and thought the only thing that needed to be added to shore up the glaring weakness on the roster was Ron Hainsey.

What is Babcock supposed to do with that defense core? It's not his fault.
Yeah the management group is so bad, They've gone from last overall to 105 points in 2 years.

Reactions: BM14

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Their fans are more stubborn (i.e. in denial) than Babcock.

Look at their D core. It's atrocious. Other than Reilly and Dermott, the rest should go. They have no business being top 6 on the blue line. Andersen gets 40+ shots consistently and when they win, it's usually due to him standing on his head. Sometimes, the Leafs hold the other team to 25-ish chances but usually, enough are quality scoring chances against and it's usually due to poor defensive play by the team (and d core again - awful coverage). Is that a coaching problem? I think the personnel is a bigger problem than the coaching but some of the line combinations have been eye openers and questionable but really, what do you do with it?

They made some questionable personnel decisions regarding forwards (too) but that is on management, also.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
D is fine. The system you employ can either amplify your players’ strengths or weaknesses.

Pens did fine last year with a very shit d.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hey-hey-ho-ho-mike-babcock-has-got-to-go.2479961/

So seeing as we’re not allowed to negatively discuss Babcock on the Leafs board I’d like to get other fans’ opinions on him.

I really think the Leafs would’ve fared much better with Cassidy/Sullivan/Quenneville/Cooper as their coach as opposed to Babcock.

Guy has been taken to school thanks to his stubbornness all series.
It's not that you are not allowed to negatively criticize Babcock on the Leafs board, it's just that when you do you sound like an idiot. Apparently the days of waffles being tossed on the ice are too far behind for your ant like memory to remember, but the Leafs were hot wet garbage without him and they are in the playoffs for the second straight year with him despite playing in a killer division. You can complain about having the 4th line on the ice at the wrong time costing a goal, you can complain about the presence of a grinder on a scoring line, but at the end of the day whatever decisions he's made got the team where it is now. Somehow I doubt Peter Horacheck or Randy Carlyle are capable of the same, let alone whatever other coaching options out there you feel are better than Babs. I mean it's pretty easy for Cassidy to look like a genius with the best line in hockey and the leftovers of a cup championship team to play with. That's a bit different than turning around a last place team. Out of curiosity, have you ever spent any time as the Edmonton Oiler's stick boy?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Their fans are more stubborn (i.e. in denial) than Babcock.

Look at their D core. It's atrocious. Other than Reilly and Dermott, the rest should go. They have no business being top 6 on the blue line. Andersen gets 40+ shots consistently and when they win, it's usually due to him standing on his head. Sometimes, the Leafs hold the other team to 25-ish chances but usually, enough are quality scoring chances against and it's usually due to poor defensive play by the team (and d core again - awful coverage). Is that a coaching problem? I think the personnel is a bigger problem than the coaching but some of the line combinations have been eye openers and questionable but really, what do you do with it?

They made some questionable personnel decisions regarding forwards (too) but that is on management, also.
A little over the top here. Teams will lineup to add a Jake Gardiner if he's moved in the offseason. A 50+ point puck-moving Dman who's in his prime at 4 million next season?

Last edited:

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Compared to what? Any other coach on planet Earth?
It is hard to say given how vague and broad the thread title is. Of the options available when the Leafs got him, I think he was clearly the best, and the team has achieved well above exceptions during his tenure; heck, we fans are b*tching about being down 3-2 in a playoff series, while two years ago we had the worst team in the NHL. Turning a collection of rookies and young guys into a Cup Contender is unfortunately neither an easy or linear process. Has Babacock made some tactical screw ups with line choices this year? Definitely. But he has very successfully developed the raw young talent on this team and managed to actually turn it towards team success (which is really the toughest part of a rebuild; look at Buffalo or the pre-McDavid Oilers as examples of a teams that never got beyon being a collection of individual talents and became an actual playoff team).

Babcock has overall done well.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They played at an 85-ish point pace against playoff teams. And a 124-ish pace against non playoff teams. The biggest disparity amongst any playoff team.
Good to hear. Every other year it's the opposite. They need to start doing that more.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I find Babcock's in game coaching poor at times with his infatuation with line changes. Maybe he should be banned from attending Leaf games. Promote Keefe game day.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah the management group is so bad, They've gone from last overall to 105 points in 2 years.

First of all, I'm not saying the management group is bad, I'm saying they are who should be looked at before the (silly) criticisms of Mike Babcock

The defense is an absolute joke. If you disagree, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the amount of times this team has given up 40+ shots in a game is alarming and the fact that your management group felt the answer to this problem was Ron Hainsey and Roman Polak and then didn't even bother adding any defenders at the deadline is a failure to support a group of young players that worked their asses off for this team.

As a Leaf fan you should be appalled that with a one goal lead in an elimination game, Roman Polak was sent over the boards. This guy shouldn't be in the NHL, let alone on the roster of a playoff team, let alone on the ice with a minute remaining in an elimination game.

These young players, and Leaf fans, deserve a much defense and thus far management has simply sat on their hands and shed 2nd round draft picks for Brian Boyle and Tomas Plekanec, goes that have done nothing to address the biggest need the team has and has had for several years now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad