Would the Leafs be doing better right now if Babcock wasn’t the coach?

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Anderson is not to blame at all. One bit. I blame the system entirely. Leafs have a ton of offence and a solid backend that makes up any shortcomings with mobility. If Pens won with their D the past few years (minus Letang) Toronto can too.
You might want to stop beating yourself up by comparing Toronto to Pittsburgh. Toronto isn't as good as Pittsburgh.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Well the hawks made the wcf 2 years after drafting 1OA and won the cup 3 years after. I expected improvement from last year tbh
Do you think the Leafs of this year and Hawks of 2009 or 2010 are comparable in any meaningful way?

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
Well the hawks made the wcf 2 years after drafting 1OA and won the cup 3 years after. I expected improvement from last year tbh

Well the Oilers drafted 1st overall and made it to.....wait, no. They drafted 1st overall again and ..... and drafted again 1st overall, and 2 years after that again first overall, and 2 years after that missed the playoffs. Where is improvement here?

Leafs true rebuild started midway through 2014/2015 season when Horachek was appointed head coach. They had few pieces already for rebuild but not nearly as many as some would think. They made playoffs 2 years later.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I do think their forwards are, and despite his struggles in this series, Freddy is better than Niemi.
And the defense?

Goaltending is not that much of a difference to make up for the defensive shortcomings the Leafs have in comparison.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hey-hey-ho-ho-mike-babcock-has-got-to-go.2479961/

So seeing as we’re not allowed to negatively discuss Babcock on the Leafs board I’d like to get other fans’ opinions on him.

I really think the Leafs would’ve fared much better with Cassidy/Sullivan/Quenneville/Cooper as their coach as opposed to Babcock.

Guy has been taken to school thanks to his stubbornness all series.
With an invisible (if not outright mediocre) Matthews, that d-corps and a perimeter anchor (so far) like Nylander, there's not much he can do.

He's in the first tier of today's coaches, but he's far from being heads and shoulders above everybody else à la Bowman.

As to the closure of your thread on the Leafs board, I'll admit that I'm flabbergasted.

I find Mess to be one of the best and most tolerant of the moderators.

There must have been a lot of pressure from irate fans for that thread to be closed. :huh:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
He's more of a system coach than a creative coach. If the players don't fit the system, the team won't do well.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Andersen has let in Boston's first scoring chance in 3 of the 4 games (and some of those shots weren't even 'scoring chances'). It's deflating for the team at level that's biblical.

I don't see how Babcock can "coach" Andersen into not being a disgraceful goaltender.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I don't think Babs is the issue and I don't really think the "kids" need to learn a lesson. I get that many had high hopes for the Leafs coming into the playoffs with 105 points but they ran into a better team in round one and Boston is a terrible matchup for this Leafs team.
I understand that you're not art of the "7-1 over the last two seasons" and "Andersen is 10-1 lifetime" crowd.

Good for you.

Live in the moment.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yeah, that guy never replaces coaches.
Not sure if serious:

Devils GM from 1987 to 2015.

Change in head coaches:

1987: Schoenfeld for Carpenter.
1989: Cunniff for Schoenfeld
1990: McVie for Cunniff
1992: Brooks
1993: Lemaire
1998: Ftorek
1999: Robinson for Ftorek
2001: Constantine for Robinson
2002: Burns
2005: Robinson
2005: Lamoriello for Robinson
2006: Julien
2006: Lamoriello for Julien
2007: Sutter
2009: Lemaire
2010: MacLean
2010: Lemaire for MacLean
2011: DeBoer
2014: Two-headed coach (Stevens and Oates) for DeBoer

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
That statement does not exactly tell the full picture. Worst division yes, but the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the entire NHL were in that division. The Leafs would be 2nd or even 1st in the other divisions.
Small detail that you seem to have forgotten: If their division is the worst, they would play less games against the bottom teams of the Atlantic and face better opposition if in a different division

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Small detail that you seem to have forgotten: If their division is the worst, they would play less games against the bottom teams of the Atlantic and face better opposition if in a different division
They also might play les games against top contenders in other divisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->