Player Discussion Worst Mistakes Made By Rangers

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Brendan Smith, Marc Staal, and Brady Skjei contracts at the moment, but that can change - ideally Brady is a last pairing defender on a good NHL team like Nashville. They should keep Eric staal and not send him away, and John Tortorella should continue coaching Rangers and we would more likely win that cup in the 2014-2016 time period. :)

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Brendan Smith, Marc Staal, and Brady Skjei contracts at the moment, but that can change - ideally Brady is a last pairing defender on a good NHL team like Nashville. They should keep Eric staal and not send him away, and John Tortorella should continue coaching Rangers and we would more likely win that cup in the 2014-2016 time period. :)
i miss tortorella, but every coach has a shelf life and his was especially short because of the way he used to coach. love the way hes stayed true to what made him successful but also adapted in columbus to make his stay relevant today. would love to see him in an eventual 2nd tour of duty with the rangers if quinn gets let go before torts is done.

Reactions: Ori

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I remember a strong contingent of knowledgeable posters wanting Tarasenko. I didn’t know much about draft picks back then and still don’t really so I rely on those posters who do know.

I remember wanting him. Not Fowler and def NOT McIlrath.

I was livid when we made that choice

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They booted Callahan in the deal.

That alone puts this trade wayyyyy low on the biggest mistakes list for me.

Boyle/Girardi over Stralman and Staal over Yandle we’re much bigger mistakes inside of the same window. They could have made the handle trade and shipped out Staal and probably picked up one of the 1st they moved for St Louis.
Word. This is when Staal had value.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One first and Cally should’ve been it for MSL and if Yzerman said no we should’ve walked.
HATED that deal. Though to be honest, I hated the Nash one as well. And the Yandle one.

But the MSL was awful. Yzerman wanted him off the team. MSL said that he would waive his no trade clause for the Rangers. Friggin' Sather bid against himself in that one.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
1. Girardi and Staal over Stralman. Anyone who watched could tell you that Stralman was carrying Staal and McDonagh carried Girardi. The analytics said it as well.

2. Not hiring Laviolette. Yes, the timing was tough, but you could have fired AV after 2014 and brought him in.

3. Although they don’t get to the finals without MSL, that trade hurt the team bigtime.

4. I know it’s a bit early, but Lias Andersson. I think it’s fairly obvious they wanted Pettersson and thought he might fall to them at 7. Andersson was all over the first round and would have been available most likely where Chytil was picked. If they wanted Andersson, they could have traded down and got extra picks. You could have came away with Kostin and Chytil and then some Or, they could have taken Mittelstadt or Necas, then had Chytil.

I just feel they mismanaged that situation terribly. Let’s hope Lias proves them wrong.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I forgot the Yandle deal. At the time it was the big splash, but I wasn’t too fond of getting a guy that didn’t have the big shot to make the power play work. They gave up too much for him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
2. Not hiring Laviolette. Yes, the timing was tough, but you could have fired AV after 2014 and brought him in.
Not really sure of what happened with AV. Clearly Gorton had to see the writing on the wall about the team and their style. He also knew exactly what AV was. Yet he was extended with several years left on the contract, I believe. And then he fired him. Not sure of what was going on there.
I forgot the Yandle deal. At the time it was the big splash, but I wasn’t too fond of getting a guy that didn’t have the big shot to make the power play work. They gave up too much for him.
It's both. What they gave up and what they then did not get back by failing to trade him and letting him walk away.

To make matters worse, they they gave up 2 2nds for Staal.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i, too, thought that both Yandle and MSL deals were overpays
... AND the Clowe deal, AND the Eric Staal deal

the Nash deal might have been less worse, if NYR had received better secondary pieces
but i missed Dubi and Arte right away

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Not really sure of what happened with AV. Clearly Gorton had to see the writing on the wall about the team and their style. He also knew exactly what AV was. Yet he was extended with several years left on the contract, I believe. And then he fired him. Not sure of what was going on there.

Yeah, Laviolette would have been the perfect fit. I never understood what they saw in AV.

It's both. What they gave up and what they then did not get back by failing to trade him and letting him walk away.

Yeah, I’d agree. They should have moved him the next year. That team clearly wasn’t the team that the 14 and 15 teams were, in 16. That’s why when I said the rebuild was 2-3 years overdue, that’s the point in time I’m referring to.

To make matters worse, they they gave up 2 2nds for Staal.

UGH, is this your version of payback for me reminding you of all of those bad trades in the other thread???

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The St. Louis deal IMO was catastrophic.

We had a situation where the other teams player only wanted to come here, yet we paid top dollar.
On top of that, we had a guy who we should have sold off in Callahan to kick start a rebuild. Instead we added 2 first rounders. In the end we would have been far further ahead just letting Callahan walk.

I have always had my suspicions about St Louis in the first place. I wonder why Yzerman left him off an Olympic roster. I wonder why he went from being one of the top players in the game to having his game fall off so fast. That all involves speculation we don't do here on this board. But I think Yzerman knew something he didn't let on. Whatever Marty gave during that finals run, it wasn't worth the price paid.

Kick start the rebuild in 2014??? We went to the SCF that very year, and the presidents trophy the next year... You're really complaining we didn't start the rebuild sooner? Ridiculous.

Reactions: kinger8998

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
1. Girardi and Staal over Stralman. Anyone who watched could tell you that Stralman was carrying Staal and McDonagh carried Girardi. The analytics said it as well.

3. Although they don’t get to the finals without MSL, that trade hurt the team bigtime.

4. I know it’s a bit early, but Lias Andersson. I think it’s fairly obvious they wanted Pettersson and thought he might fall to them at 7. Andersson was all over the first round and would have been available most likely where Chytil was picked. If they wanted Andersson, they could have traded down and got extra picks. You could have came away with Kostin and Chytil and then some Or, they could have taken Mittelstadt or Necas, then had Chytil.

I just feel they mismanaged that situation terribly. Let’s hope Lias proves them wrong.
1) Wasn't Girardi extended before Stralman really showed anything?

2) You think they were going to fire him after 1 season in which they went to the Stanley Cup Finals after coming back from a 3-1 deficit to Pittsburgh?

3) They overpaid, but contrary to popular belief, Yzerman did not HAVE to trade him. Besides, they were making a run for it and Callahan was pretty much worthless with an expiring contract.

4) Too early. You also do not know if they could have traded down and still nabbed Anderson. At the time, he was seen as the safest pick and although his upside wasn't as high as others, he was seen as one of the few sure-NHL'ers.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
With the benefit of hindsight, I think the doling out of so many assets between 2012 and 2015 proved to be a mistake. Most specifically, the Nash/MSL/Yandle deals. Sure, I think those deals made the Rangers better in the immediate near-term, but I say this for 2 main reasons:

1. The group didn't win a cup
2. The 2011-2012 Rangers were one of the most interesting teams I've seen in my years as a Ranger fan. They went above and beyond being a product that was greater than the sum of it's parts.

Members of that team and several draft picks were jettisoned in search of a cup that never came, and it's perhaps the primary reason why the Rangers find themselves in the situation they are in today.

Reactions: Riche16

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
RangersTown™️ was never the same from that trade. The entire philosophy changed. They went from a team that didn’t win the cup because they weren’t good enough to beat the dynasties to a team that tried to purchase former glory.

1.Esposito trade and future trades to bring in his friends

2. Not tanking a bit in the beginning of the King’s career

3. Messier walking + failed Sakic Signing

4. 99 draft + 2003 draft

5. not rebuilding after 2015

99 draft wasn't a mistake. 99 draft was just classic Rangers shitty luck.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
One first and Cally should’ve been it for MSL and if Yzerman said no we should’ve walked.

We had already given two in a row.

4 is INSANE

That is why the roosters are home to nest. Lots of teams try to win the cup... most fail.

We failed AND crippled any chance for a decade to do so again in that timeframe.

Really, so those 4 ~30th overall picks we're missing are why we suck today? Its not like we pulled a Maple Leaf and traded away Seguin and Hamilton. They were late picks, the kind that don't usually produce NHLers, let alone impact players. Best case we end up with a couple more Brady Skjei's. I'd take going to the SCF and a President's over that any day.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I’ve heard conflicting stories of how well they looked into Brendl.

And yes, when your team needs to rebuild and you have two picks with one very high and you **** up both, well...you made a mistake.
Who should they have taken, then? That whole draft was a bust. The only good players were already taken. Zetterberg doesn't count, he's like the Lundqvist of forwards, complete dumb luck on Detroit's part.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Kick start the rebuild in 2014??? We went to the SCF that very year, and the presidents trophy the next year... You're really complaining we didn't start the rebuild sooner? Ridiculous.
If they knew Callahan was going to go seek the highest bidder, they could have traded him and gotten back a very serviceable player and futures. I don't think a rebuild would have made sense but it would have made more sense to let Cally walk than give up 2 firsts to keep him from walking. In the end we got nothing for him anyway.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
1) Wasn't Girardi extended before Stralman really showed anything?

No. Stralman had been showing the team signs since 2012.

2) You think they were going to fire him after 1 season in which they went to the Stanley Cup Finals after coming back from a 3-1 deficit to Pittsburgh?

If I knew Laviolette would have been available, I would have. My opinion.

3) They overpaid, but contrary to popular belief, Yzerman did not HAVE to trade him. Besides, they were making a run for it and Callahan was pretty much worthless with an expiring contract.

MSL said he wanted to go to the Rangers, so yes, Yzerman did have to and his back was against the wall. Sather and Gorton messes that one up badly.

4) Too early. You also do not know if they could have traded down and still nabbed Anderson. At the time, he was seen as the safest pick and although his upside wasn't as high as others, he was seen as one of the few sure-NHL'ers.

There were other picks better than Andersson available both at that point and 21 when Chytil was taken. Missing a “lower upside but safer pick” as you describe him wouldn’t have killed this team at that point. It would have helped.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The Messier/Sakic situation is one of the biggest mistakes ever. They should have paid Sakic more. Could Colorado have matched a 4 year $36 million dollar deal at that time? I’m not sure they could have. You have Sakic and Gretzky down the middle, it’s a completely different story.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Trading 3 1st round picks for St. Louis pissed me off. Yes, I know technically it was 2 1sts and Callahan, but I valued him as a 1st so I'm calling it 3 1sts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad