Player Discussion Worst Mistakes Made By Rangers

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
One first and Cally should’ve been it for MSL and if Yzerman said no we should’ve walked.

We had already given two in a row.

4 is INSANE

That is why the roosters are home to nest. Lots of teams try to win the cup... most fail.

We failed AND crippled any chance for a decade to do so again in that timeframe.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
One first and Cally should’ve been it for MSL and if Yzerman said no we should’ve walked.

4 is INSANE

That is why the roosters are home to nest. Lots of teams try to win the cup... most fail.

We failed AND crippled any chance for a decade to do so again in that timeframe.
It was one first.

It became two because we went on a SCF run when nobody anticipated we would.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
It was one first.

It became two because we went on a SCF run when nobody anticipated we would.

We'll never know, but I feel that we could have probably got the deal done for that condition being "winning the cup" if push turned to shove.
I also don't think the SCF couldn't be anticipated, we had a pretty damn good roster.

Do agree that the MSL trade should have been made, it just could have been better....

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

4 is INSANE

Slats had a very old school My Way mentality. I like his moxie and conviction. But it’s not a modern approach.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Well I wouldn’t because I remember 94 and the “joy” of watching us flail about blowing leads in 2014 was literally anything but comparable.

Lol, yeah.

You know, I remember watching us trade the future for the cup (granted I was seven, but I remember the aftermath ...), and glad we went for it in ‘14 when all is said and done - we were right f***in’ there man. Ugh.

When the time is right, you go for it. You just hope you win, otherwise you create this alternate dimension that we’re currently suffering in.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The Eric Staal trade was brutal.

Getting ****-kicked in the 2016 playoffs should have been a warning sign after two years of deep competitiveness. Unfortunately, most of the damage had been done by that point. Trading for Brendan Smith was the last big expense of picks that needn't have happened. He wasn't even playing well for Detroit.

Not taking a hint sent this team back 5 years from that start of a true rebuild.

Reactions: Riche16

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Slats had a very old school My Way mentality. I like his moxie and conviction. But it’s not a modern approach.

Dolan loves Slats because he makes him a shit load of money without breaking a
sweat.

Plenty of Owners would love to have Sather.

I don’t think long term fans see how the modern owner looks at the game.

I’m not defending Sather per se. I’m actually reframing the argument.

I think Sather has more than modernized himself. He plays the modern “game” fine. He took a hint.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Dolan loves Slats because he makes him a **** load of money without breaking a
sweat.

Plenty of Owners would love to have Sather.

I don’t think long term fans see how the modern owner looks at the game.

I’m not defending Sather per se. I’m actually reframing the argument.

I think Sather has more than modernized himself. He plays the modern “game” fine. He took a hint.
Yes. True. I suppose the evidence is his hand-picked successor who- it seems- is pretty modern. Which i think translates to something like: scout better and don’t give out above-market-value contracts. (Smith and Staal are certainly mistake deals but I’d argue they’re not crippling mistakes).

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Ryan Clowe was a mistake.

Eric Staal was a mistake.

If we knew that was what we were going to do with Yandle when we got him, it was a mistake.

Tearing down this roster before firing AV, IMO, was a mistake. I guess you can't really fire a guy who took you to the finals though.

I never saw the rush to trade Stepan.

That's just recently.

Giving up the #5 OA pick for Michel Bergeron.
Ridley and Miller in their early 20s for Bobby Carpenter only to trade Carpenter about 25 games later for a 36 year old Marcel Dionne.
Norstrom to LA for a bunch of old buddies.
Trading Sergei Zubov.
Telling the world Mark Messier scored the cup winning goal in 94 when that goal was Brian Noonan's.
Taking Lucien Deblois ahead of Mike Bossy.
Letting a 20 year old Dan Blackburn work out unsupervised.

Eric Staal is the most mis-used player in this franchises history. He wanted out the moment he found out how AV was going to use him. Of course he became the player we signed him for the second he left the Rangers.

As others have said, letting Stralman walk is the biggest f***up in modern Rangers history.

Don't know why people are so down on Marty here, he was fantastic for us up until the end, and gave us some incredible memories.

Reactions: kinger8998

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
If we're creating a thread like this, letting Stralman walk has to be up there. We can argue whether extending Girardi or signing Boyle was the reason he's gone but regardless, letting him leave was a colossal mistake.
completely forgot stralman...1000% agree, girardi i disagree completely. G still had and has game left, contract just sucked.

on the yandle point i forgot the taxes but i likely still would have gone for that imo.

richards i realise the contract had to be bought out but more for me that was just a tough pill to swallow since he was one of my favorites all time

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
i guess i got a little nostalgic with my beginning post ... LOL to clarify:

1) i will dispute with anyone that girardi was done. bad contract sure, but he still could play. im all for, and love, the way hockey is moving away from fighting and heavy hitting towards speed and skill but you still need the guys who can lock it down and sacrifice the body to block shots. the best defense may be to play offense, but NO team plays offense 100% of the time and if anything has showed in the last 2 years the rangers sorely miss girardis block everything style.

2) forgot about the tax part of tampa, but i wouldve paid yandle whatever he wanted. may he biased since yandle is my favorite player but god were we stupid to let him go. even if his contract “wouldnt have fit”, hes the type of player ont he back end you move other contracts cause they cant fit around his.

3) i say this was a panic move because there was no trade chatter from what i remember during the regular season. step put up his annual 55-point penalty killing two way season and everyone was optimistic about the rangers chances of making it to conference finals being in the atlantic bracket. but then, he struggled in the playoffs and everyone turned. people began shouting NMC and DECLINE over the 2 rounds of those playoffs and it appeared gorton heard them because he really didnt get all that great of a return. 7th overall pick was nice, and i like deAngleo as a player butwhen youre trading a guy who is still very valuable and you dont have to trade by any means, you want a sure thing. if lias turns out to be a 50 point two way center like a stepan lite and deangelo figures out hsi shit, this trade can look really good, but im not sure either of those happen right now.

4) error on my part, wasnt a mistake at all. contract had to be bought out when given the chance to free yourself from a deal like that for absolutely nothing. just miss richards. one of the smartest players we had, great leader, shouldve been named captain if he hadve stayed. wouldve been very helpful for us considering weve never been a team to have a TOP line compared to a team that has 3 solid lines. guess thats another point for another time tjough, we really do need some elite talent, its the way the league runs. that point aside, loved richards the player, but the deal had to go.

5) i feel like st louis couldve been had for 2-3 million and IF he wanted to play and IF he wouldve taken that deal, i wouldve done it in a heartbeat. same thing as richards, we havent found a way to replace his heart or leadership. he had a solid regular season 2015, just struggled in playoffs.

6) OMISSION: stralman. dont know how i forgot this. i dont need to go any further into this one because we all know how bad this was.

side note, and possible hot take, dan boyle wasnt actually that bad, in fact he was actually somewhat good. its too bad he was signed in place of stralman because it cast a shadow over him from the very beginning that was unfair.

8) dont think im enough to know about some of the other stuff, but from what i hear the organization wouldve been much better off going into a rebuild in the early 2000’s instesd of sather handing out massive deals to old guys.

9) mcilrath and jessiman are the obvious ones i was referencing, though i even typed their names but if i didnt i thought it would just be clear that fell into the obvious category LOL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
McIlrath over Tarasenko

Dan Boyle over Stralman

Buying out Girardi to sign Smith(waste of cap)

Trading Hagelin and Talbot for nothing

1. Everyone wanted Fowler at the draft. Tarasenko was only a "target" later on for most fans.
2. It wasn't Boyle over Stralman, it was Girardi over Stralman. Boyle was needed to bring offense from the blueline which Stralman didn't bring with 38 points in 3 full seasons with us. Nobody could have predicted he'd hit more points in a single season after moving to Tampa
3. Girardi was the wrong player to buy out that summer. We all know that
4. Hagelin and Talbot had minimal value for different reasons.

Hagelin:
- RFA
- 3rd line winger
- on a team without cap space to sign him to an extension

Talbot:
- Backup goalie
- Signed to a 1-year contract which means contract talks cannot happen until Jan 1st of that season
- In an off-season with younger, cheaper, cost-controlled goalies available (Lehner, Jones)

Let's not pretend we could have gotten more for Hagelin and Talbot because that's simply not the case

Reactions: kinger8998

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Eric Staal is the most mis-used player in this franchises history. He wanted out the moment he found out how AV was going to use him. Of course he became the player we signed him for the second he left the Rangers.

As others have said, letting Stralman walk is the biggest ****up in modern Rangers history.

Don't know why people are so down on Marty here, he was fantastic for us up until the end, and gave us some incredible memories.

cant comprehend the marty hate either. i agree trading for staal wasnt the mistake, the way he was used was....i guess we see thay alot. so maybe the biggest mistake of all was not firing AV after those 2017 playoffs. the minute they traded stepan they showed that they thought personnel was the issue and not coaching. no way we should have lost to ottawa, still pissed AV played staal and holden in those key moments that cost us that series.

another point when talking about staal, hes seemed to be atleast a bit better this season hasnt he? maybe thats me being optimistic amidst this dumpster fire.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
1. Everyone wanted Fowler at the draft. Tarasenko was only a "target" later on for most fans.
2. It wasn't Boyle over Stralman, it was Girardi over Stralman. Boyle was needed to bring offense from the blueline which Stralman didn't bring with 38 points in 3 full seasons with us. Nobody could have predicted he'd hit more points in a single season after moving to Tampa
3. Girardi was the wrong player to buy out that summer. We all know that
4. Hagelin and Talbot had minimal value for different reasons.

Hagelin:
- RFA
- 3rd line winger
- on a team without cap space to sign him to an extension

Talbot:
- Backup goalie
- Signed to a 1-year contract which means contract talks cannot happen until Jan 1st of that season
- In an off-season with younger, cheaper, cost-controlled goalies available (Lehner, Jones)

Let's not pretend we could have gotten more for Hagelin and Talbot because that's simply not the case
agree on hagelin, but thought we couldve gotten a 1st for talbot...wasnt that on the table early but slats tried to wait too long?

the real mistake at the 2015 draft was drafting gropp. i remember thinking when they did that “what the f***”. it was very clear to me anyways that gropp was a byproduct of barzal.

also a side point, i love how this fanbase tries to make issues out of things LIKE tarasenko that just werent issues. i can pull any steal from any draft and say “they shouldve drafted this guy” but i never would have said they should have drafted that player at that draft. hindsight lol. this fanbase has enough mistakes to argue about without fabricating some more :laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

4 is INSANE

They booted Callahan in the deal.

That alone puts this trade wayyyyy low on the biggest mistakes list for me.

Boyle/Girardi over Stralman and Staal over Yandle we’re much bigger mistakes inside of the same window. They could have made the handle trade and shipped out Staal and probably picked up one of the 1st they moved for St Louis.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
agree on hagelin, but thought we couldve gotten a 1st for talbot...wasnt that on the table early but slats tried to wait too long?

the real mistake at the 2015 draft was drafting gropp. i remember thinking when they did that “what the f***”. it was very clear to me anyways that gropp was a byproduct of barzal.

also a side point, i love how this fanbase tries to make issues out of things LIKE tarasenko that just werent issues. i can pull any steal from any draft and say “they shouldve drafted this guy” but i never would have said they should have drafted that player at that draft. hindsight lol. this fanbase has enough mistakes to argue about without fabricating some more :laugh:

Martin Jones was traded twice. First as part of a package for Milan Lucic (incl a 1st and Colin Miller) and the 2nd time was traded for Sean Kuraly and a 1st
Eddie Lack was traded for a 3rd + 7th
Antti Niemi was traded for a 7th
Robin Lehner packed with David Legwand and was traded for a 1st
Anton Khudobin was traded for James Wieniewski
Antti Raanta was traded for Ryan Haggerty
Magnus Hellberg was traded for a 6th

The only 2 goalies traded for something better than what we got, are Lehner and Jones, who both were in their RFA years, and therefore cost-controlled. Talbot wasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad