Player Discussion Worst Mistakes Made By Rangers

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would argue that Noonan, Matteau, and MacTavish were integral to the Cup. Anderson, only in the Final.

But my point is that you can't say "if Smith had held firm on Keenan" and ignore another deal that Keenan brought about.
Fair. But remember, this is only make believe land

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Worst move since the lockout was definitely not resigning Michael Nylander after great success with Jagr.

2 seasons of 200p combined, yet Sather felt the need to play hardball with him. This is why Sather failed as GM. He would lowball players with proven results, and throw the bank at unproven commodities in NY.
Pigheaded and stupid.

Building around Jagr was the smartest thing to do in that Era of the NYR.
Jagr went on to have many productive years on other teams, and that should've been in NY.

The McIlrath blunder will haunt them.

Keeping AV too long.

Not rebuilding after the loss to Tampa in the CF.

Reactions: Off Sides
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Worst move since the lockout was definitely not resigning Michael Nylander after great success with Jagr.

2 seasons of 200p combined, yet Sather felt the need to play hardball with him. This is why Sather failed as GM. He would lowball players with proven results, and throw the bank at unproven commodities in NY.
Pigheaded and stupid.

I'm not sure I agree with this. He had a honey of a situation here. He was the most productive here than he was with any other team he played for. He decided he wanted to cash in on his success here (at age 35). And two years later he was out of the league.

Plus, a year after Nylander left, so too did Jagr.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I'm not sure I agree with this. He had a honey of a situation here. He was the most productive here than he was with any other team he played for. He decided he wanted to cash in on his success here (at age 35). And two years later he was out of the league.

My point is, he put up 2 huge seasons, playing with his #1 C, Nyalander.

Sather didn't want to pay Nylander ? Why? What more did he have to prove at that time? What could Sather have realistically wanted in going after another unproven C, To play with Jagr?

First huge blunder, from there is just got worse

Jagr was very disappointed when Nylander didn't sign, and couldn't gel with either of his 2 new centers...

He wanted a lot of $ to play in NY, he put the franchise back on the map.
Buy in retrospect without Nylander it was pointless.

They chose reward Lundqvist, and build around him...

What Jagr and Nylander did after they left the Rangers is irrelevant.

Reactions: Off Sides
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
My point is, he put up 2 huge seasons, playing with his #1 C, Nyalander.

I never disagreed with that. He did.

Sather didn't want to pay Nylander ? Why?
He didn't want to give a guy who was 35 a four-year, $19.5 million contract. I also think that Sather didn't think that he had to give him that for reasons I already mentioned (great situation, a team that was on the rise, etc.)

What more did he have to prove at that time? What could Sather have realistically wanted in going after another unproven C, To play with Jagr?

He didn't need to prove anything. But why pay him for what he's done? You need to pay him for what he'll be at the end of a contract. And, with the benefit of hindsight, Nylander never completed the contract he got.

Ultimately, Nylander took more money than the Rangers offer (although less than Edmonton did).

Jagr was very disappointed when Nylander didn't sign,
How do you know?

He wanted a lot of $ to play in NY, he put the franchise back on the map. Buy in retrospect without Nylander it was pointless.

Look, if there's one truth about Jagr is he wanted a $ to play. Anywhere. He was the ultimate mercenary. That's why he left when he did. I don't believe that he would have stayed if Nylander was still on the team. And then what do you do when you're stuck Nylander signed for another 3 years?

They chose reward Lundqvist, and build around him...

Seems like the right call to me.

What Jagr and Nylander did after they left the Rangers is irrelevant.

Why is it irrelevant? It's not like they let Nylander walk and he thrived elsewhere. If anything, it was exact opposite—he had an injury-filled season, a bad season and then he was out of the league. That's why you don't commit years and money to a guy who is 35.

As far as Jagr was concerned, he gets a bit of rose-colored memory treatment because: 1) Yes, he was great here and 2) His salary was skewed by the fact that Washington was paying part and absorbing that cap hit. And he bolted for money which was par for the course with him. And then the Rangers would have been stuck with a 36-year old center for another 3 years.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I never disagreed with that. He did.

He didn't want to give a guy who was 35 a four-year, $19.5 million contract. I also think that Sather didn't think that he had to give him that for reasons I already mentioned (great situation, a team that was on the rise, etc.)

He didn't need to prove anything. But why pay him for what he's done? You need to pay him for what he'll be at the end of a contract. And, with the benefit of hindsight, Nylander never completed the contract he got.

Ultimately, Nylander took more money than the Rangers offer (although less than Edmonton did).

How do you know?

Look, if there's one truth about Jagr is he wanted a $ to play. Anywhere. He was the ultimate mercenary. That's why he left when he did. I don't believe that he would have stayed if Nylander was still on the team. And then what do you do when you're stuck Nylander signed for another 3 years?

Seems like the right call to me.

Why is it irrelevant? It's not like they let Nylander walk and he thrived elsewhere. If anything, it was exact opposite—he had an injury-filled season, a bad season and then he was out of the league. That's why you don't commit years and money to a guy who is 35.

As far as Jagr was concerned, he gets a bit of rose-colored memory treatment because: 1) Yes, he was great here and 2) His salary was skewed by the fact that Washington was paying part and absorbing that cap hit. And he bolted for money which was par for the course with him. And then the Rangers would have been stuck with a 36-year old center for another 3 years.

You found the multi quote feature... great.

The one thing I'll concede is the age factor, because I realize at the time that was an issue and yes I am looking back with a rose glasses a bit.

However Jagr was public about his disappointment with not resigning Nylander, as well as his lack of cohesion with either Drury or Gomez.

I disagree with you strongly about Sather not wanting to pay Stars who can produce on NY, but his willingness to throw money at unknown FAs instead. A risk either way. Nylander EARNED a new contract with back to back 80p seasons.

Again what Nylander did after the Rangers is moot, imo. He had chemistry with Jagr, that's why he should have been kept. The same way the 2 27yr Olds they brought in...DIDN'T.

He got injured. That could happen to anyone, unless you think Sather was pychic?

All teams pay their superstars, if they believe in them. Age proved NOT to be a factor with Jagr.

They're paying an aging Lundqvist now to backstop a trash team... so???

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think it’s selective bias to think that Jagr was someone you build around at the point we were at in 07-08. My memory of that season was that it wasn’t only his lack of chemistry with Gomez or Drury that was the problem. It was also that he had very clearly lost a step of skating. His talent level meant he could still be a highly effective offensive player, but he was never going to be a top scorer in the league again.

He could barely be a point per game player in the KHL right after that. The decline was on.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
1. mcIlrath
2. mcilrath
3. mcilrath

not picking tarasenko or kuznetzov was the biggest blunder recently and probably cost us a cup.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
1. mcIlrath
2. mcilrath
3. mcilrath

not picking tarasenko or kuznetzov was the biggest blunder recently and probably cost us a cup.

Even with the situation and thoughts they had it was a huge blunder and that shows, it showed then too. Oh well I guess at this point...

screams and punches a wall in frustration in the distance

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Agreed - would've been a classic case for paying a player for previous contributions instead of future dividends. A conundrum the Rangers know quite well. It was time to move on from that unexpectedly excellent core.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agreed - would've been a classic case for paying a player for previous contributions instead of future dividends. A conundrum the Rangers know quite well. It was time to move on from that unexpectedly excellent core.

Excellent core, but those teams had pretty horrendous bottom-6 groups and bottom pairing D. :laugh:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
1. mcIlrath
2. mcilrath
3. mcilrath

I think, among other things, what makes the McIlrath pick such a mistake is that it was emotional pick instead of a pragmatic one. The Rangers were getting pushed around quite often the season before but, more importantly, the league was beginning to put a premium on speed and mobility - not many big, lumbering defensemen remain in the league today.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Excellent core, but those teams had pretty horrendous bottom-6 groups and bottom pairing D. :laugh:

Oh definitely. Just another case of the franchise not being able to put it all together. Once that group left, the team had a ton of depth and no "go-to guys" that could shoulder the offensive load like Jagr and Nylander did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad