World Junior Championships Thread - Garand, Othmann, Cuylle win GOLD!

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
100% there's a couple guys from that 2011 team that collapsed. I know personally.. they weren't fans
Are you saying they threw the game? lol and how do you know personally? Odd that they didn't say anything.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I thought Bedard was understandbly over matched and in a tighter game, wasn't great. Horrible decision to keep throwing him out there.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Yes. Othmann… totally ineffective. Hahahahah. You including Garand?
the point being if he’s not utilizing players a particular fan base wants to see then they are going to say something negative about it. How this is mysterious to you is mysterious to me. Hahaha. Do you not ever interact with actual human beings?

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Yes. Othmann… totally ineffective. Hahahahah. You including Garand?
the point being if he’s not utilizing players a particular fan base wants to see then they are going to say something negative about it. How this is mysterious to you is mysterious to me. Hahaha. Do you not ever interact with actual human beings?
I'm the guy who was on your tv whispering in the ear of a hall of fame coach.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I thought Bedard was understandbly over matched and in a tighter game, wasn't great. Horrible decision to keep throwing him out there.
He was pretty disappointing. Aside from his shot there not that much there. Skating and playmaking are average, can’t beat anyone 1 on 1, still only 5’9, no defensive presence at all.

Don’t get me wrong his shot is on par with Matthews. But he doesn’t know when to pick his spots. I remember I think it was during the OT or late in the game, he has two 1 on 1 chances and just rips the puck 5 feet from the blue line instead of even attempting to go around the defender. Both chances missed wide, likely deflected. His accuracy isn’t all that either. The release itself is AM34/Sakic level but he needs to focus on placement

I don’t think he’s McDavid level at all, barring serious development. I’d consider him a Stamkos/Tavares level talent at least for right now, but even then I think both were more well rounded than Bedard is right now

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He was pretty disappointing. Aside from his shot there not that much there. Skating and playmaking are average, can’t beat anyone 1 on 1, still only 5’9, no defensive presence at all.

Don’t get me wrong his shot is on par with Matthews. But he doesn’t know when to pick his spots. I remember I think it was during the OT or late in the game, he has two 1 on 1 chances and just rips the puck 5 feet from the blue line instead of even attempting to go around the defender. Both chances missed wide, likely deflected. His accuracy isn’t all that either. The release itself is AM34/Sakic level but he needs to focus on placement

I don’t think he’s McDavid level at all, barring serious development. I’d consider him a Stamkos/Tavares level talent at least for right now, but even then I think both were more well rounded than Bedard is right now
I don’t know about all that lol but I think this dumbass coach didn’t do Bedard any favors. Playing him in front of the net the whole time on the PP while everyone’s abusing him lol, he was useless there. Should’ve been in a position to shoot instead

Reactions: bhamill

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Well hopefully now that most people have had the opportunity to see Othmann, in action, they'll understand a) his talent is undeniable and b) he still has plenty to work on.
Handled almost perfectly by Gold medal winning coach Cameron . Some times a short leash works well.....

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Still can't get over McTavish's play.

The fact that there was a clear as f*** tripping penalty that occurred seconds before (on him btw) makes it even crazier, you could see that he got up and was about to chew out the ref before he thought better of it and got back into the play.

Straight up legend shit.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Still can't get over McTavish's play.

The fact that there was a clear as f*** tripping penalty that occurred seconds before (on him btw) makes it even crazier, you could see that he got up and was about to chew out the ref before he thought better of it and got back into the play.

Straight up legend shit.
I said it like game 1, there has never been a player at the WJC that embodied the term 'beauty' more than McTavish. It's kinda dangerous.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Scott Wheeler on the Athletic did write-ups on players from the tourney. Here's the one on Berard. Looks like the Brad Marchand comp from when he was drafted - does really fit (the good and the bad...)

F Brett Berard (New York Rangers): A testament to a smaller player’s advantage (with the right mindset and teaching) getting inside body positioning. Also did a really good job getting loose with the puck (or off of it so someone could spring him). He looks fast out there. Impressively evasive in traffic. Found his way out of some situations he should have. And yet, after a strong tournament, he threw it all away with an indefensible slew footing ejection with his team down two goals in the third period of their quarterfinals loss.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why did they start calling the Czech Republic "Czechia" just now? Like, they really made a point of it.

I know the country prefers that, especially in sports, but they passed that motion six years ago.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
That Gold Medal denying save in OT was one for the books. I'll bet McTavish played some between the pipes when he was a youngster. Oh Baby what a save that was. One for the books.

The Finn who took the shot,... was too busy celebrating what he thought was the game winning goal, to follow up and poke the puck pass the goal line. He was right there. LOL!

Who is McTavish? Never heard of him. I see he has played a couple of games in the NHL. I would be surprised if he doesn't stick with the big club this season. He dominated this tournament. He will have an impact as a rookie unlike Laffy or Kakko.

Othmann and Cullen could only rate 4th line minutes. I would have thought they would be rated higher than that.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
That Gold Medal denying save in OT was one for the books. I'll bet McTavish played some between the pipes when he was a youngster. Oh Baby what a save that was. One for the books.

The Finn who took the shot,... was too busy celebrating what he thought was the game winning goal, to follow up the shot and poke the puck pass the goal line. LOL!

Who is McTavish? Never heard of him. I see he has played a couple of games in the NHL. I would be surprised if he doesn't stick with the big club this season. He dominated this tournament. He will have an impact as a rookie unlike Laffy or Kakko.

Othmann and Cullen could only rate 4th line minutes. I thought they would be rated higher than that.
Laf will put up more points than McTavish next season, who is only a year younger than Laf. McTavish was too busy playing with children for most of his draft year while Laf was playing in the NHL after being drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad