Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What do you think his next contract will look like? 60pt 2C and producing in the playoffs. 6.6 - 7M?
Depends on term. Would I do a 6 years x $6mm/per? Yes - I would. He plays a nice game. 200 feet. Clever with the puck. He battles for the 50/50 pucks. Very good passer. Very good dangles. He’s solid defensively. Has good hockey IQ.

Not much of a shooter or faceoff guy. Doesn’t PK either so he’s not some elite 2C. But he’s a good one.

But Calum Ritchie is looking like our best pick in several years. And he’s a big C. And we’ll need ELCs that produce.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Depends on term. Would I do a 6 years x $6mm/per? Yes - I would. He plays a nice game. 200 feet. Clever with the puck. He battles for the 50/50 pucks. Very good passer. Very good dangles. He’s solid defensively. Has good hockey IQ.

Not much of a shooter or faceoff guy. Doesn’t PK either so he’s not some elite 2C. But he’s a good one.

But Calum Ritchie is looking like our best pick in several years. And he’s a big C. And we’ll need ELCs that produce.
I think closer to 7M long term. He has a lot of comparables he can call on to justify it and then some.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think closer to 7M long term. He has a lot of comparables he can call on to justify it and then some.
True. Avs ask and expect guys to take discounts. But not all of them want to or will.

But the team doesn’t tend to pay market to resign guys. Many of them enjoy being on such a good team they sacrifice some bucks to play with other studs.

Makar, Landry, your guy Lex, Toews and Rants all took modest to pretty big discounts to sign with the Avs.

I can’t finger a single bad contract on their books right now.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He might want $7m but the Stromes, Zacha and going back a bit further McCann, O’Reilly, Trochek and Danault could all be decent comps that range from $4.75 to about $5.75m.

I think Dylan Strome is a very strong comparable player. A good, but not great 2C two solid seasons in a row. I’d think a $5-5.5m by 5-6 years would be reasonable.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Calum Ritchie with another big game again tonight. He’s got seven points in 3 games in the OHL eastern conference finals. Add “big game player” to his resume. 2 goals tonight on the road.

How did this guy slip to 27th overall.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
He might want $7m but the Stromes, Zacha and going back a bit further McCann, O’Reilly, Trochek and Danault could all be decent comps that range from $4.75 to about $5.75m.

I think Dylan Strome is a very strong comparable player. A good, but not great 2C two solid seasons in a row. I’d think a $5-5.5m by 5-6 years would be reasonable.
the cap is finally going up a lot in the coming years and I'm sure he and his agent are well aware. If he signs for that it would be very generous.

the comparisons dont really work at all.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
the cap is finally going up a lot in the coming years and I'm sure he and his agent are well aware. If he signs for that it would be very generous.

He hasn't proven much to get a long term 7 millions deal. 6 x 6 is more than fair.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have to say that Mitts has surprised me in the postseason, without any playoff experience and all.

Never thought of him as a clutch player, but I guess he so far has shown that he doesn't wilt away in the playoffs.

His only other opportunity to be clutch was the U20's where he was indeed clutch.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

I would consider Stome a very good comparable and he signed a 5x5 last year as an RFA. The cap is going up by ~5% which would equate to $5.25m.

Leading up to his RFA deal Strome put up 48 points in 69 games (0.70 ppg, 57p) and 65 points in 81 games (0.80ppg). Mittelstadt put up 59 in 82 (0.72ppg) and 57 in 80 games (0.71 ppg). Prior to this Strome had a stronger production track record.

Unless you’re suggesting that Stome’s agent was unaware of the impending cap increase, which is extremely unlikely given the fact that Sportsnet reported almost an exact estimate in Sept 2022, I think the comparison is actually very strong.

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Really nice player, Buff probably should have kept him and cut loose some other pieces instead, but if Byram turns out really nice as well I guess it's not as big of a blow.

My biggest memory of Mittelstadt from last season is that OT sequence against Minny where he lost the puck close in on Fleury, Brodin skates away on a breakaway with Mittelstadt hounding him through three zones, and cherry on the top Olofsson just coasting along in the backwaters pre-season game style. Then not long after same lazy-ass Olofsson scores the GWG with the play heading in the other direction, with Mittelstadt almost dead catching his breath on the bench.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Really nice player, Buff probably should have kept him and cut loose some other pieces instead, but if Byram turns out really nice as well I guess it's not as big of a blow.
Count on the Sabres to cut loose one of their best players right when they're ready to hit their prime. Perpetual incompetence.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
He played very well right now.
He fit very well with Lehkonen.
Colorado got some cap problem
Considering Goalies are signed for next year
It Left 2 Defensive spot
If they give this to Berhens & Malinski

If landeskog return
They have around 9M in cap space to signed 3 of theses players
Mittlestadt - Drouin - Duhaime - Trenin - Cogliano - Kirviranta - Parise
To me you can afford 6M to Casey - 2 to Joe and balance to Trenin but it probably want more.
But if Ritchie is NHL ready lines could be like this

Drouin Mackinnon Rantanen
Lehkonen Mittlestadt Nichushkin
Landeskog Ritchie Kovalenko
Wood Colton O'connor

More Balance offence left time to Big guns to play a little bit less and be ready and healthy for playoff

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

My biggest memory of Mittelstadt from last season is that OT sequence against Minny where he lost the puck close in on Fleury, Brodin skates away on a breakaway with Mittelstadt hounding him through three zones, and cherry on the top Olofsson just coasting along in the backwaters pre-season game style. Then not long after same lazy-ass Olofsson scores the GWG with the play heading in the other direction, with Mittelstadt almost dead catching his breath on the bench.
Casey finally arriving after Cozens cashed out on his extension was just poor timing, sucks quite frankly. But we'll see what happens with Byram.

I would consider Stome a very good comparable and he signed a 5x5 last year as an RFA. The cap is going up by ~5% which would equate to $5.25m.

Leading up to his RFA deal Strome put up 48 points in 69 games (0.70 ppg, 57p) and 65 points in 81 games (0.80ppg). Mittelstadt put up 59 in 82 (0.72ppg) and 57 in 80 games (0.71 ppg). Prior to this Strome had a stronger production track record.

Unless you’re suggesting that Stome’s agent was unaware of the impending cap increase, which is extremely unlikely given the fact that Sportsnet reported almost an exact estimate in Sept 2022, I think the comparison is actually very strong.
You could also argue the guy who has outproduced Dylan Cozens since 2023 All-Star game deserves the same contract as him or more.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Calum Ritchie with another big game again tonight. He’s got seven points in 3 games in the OHL eastern conference finals. Add “big game player” to his resume. 2 goals tonight on the road.

How did this guy slip to 27th overall.

Playing his entire draft season with a torn labrum that required surgery to fix probably had something to do with it.

And, while I'm also excited for Ritchie, who knows if/when he's going to be ready to be the Avs 2C, so I have no problem with signing Mittelstadt for 5-6 years if the cap hit is reasonable.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
True. Avs ask and expect guys to take discounts. But not all of them want to or will.

But the team doesn’t tend to pay market to resign guys. Many of them enjoy being on such a good team they sacrifice some bucks to play with other studs.

Makar, Landry, your guy Lex, Toews and Rants all took modest to pretty big discounts to sign with the Avs.

I can’t finger a single bad contract on their books right now.

Huh? Aside from maybe Toews, who has taken a discount? Avs players get PAID. They just do a phenomenal job of identifying players who are going to break out soon and get them locked up long term (which is probably at least partially why they’re more likely to give in on AAV, since they know the player will likely outperform the contract).

Reactions: PAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad