World Junior Championships Thread - Garand, Othmann, Cuylle win GOLD!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Laf will put up more points than McTavish next season, who is only a year younger than Laf. McTavish was too busy playing with children for most of his draft year while Laf was playing in the NHL after being drafted.
Not sure Laffy is gifted enough to make the play McTavish just made. Fox definitely, but Laffy?

And you think it's reasonable to compare Mason's rookie year to Alex's 3rd? I don't.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not sure Laffy is gifted enough to make the play McTavish just made. Fox definitely, but Laffy?

And you think it's reasonable to compare Mason's rookie year to Alex's 3rd? I don't.
Why not? McT stayed the easier route after his rookie year, Laf didn't. Can't hold that against him. And I barely call that Covid half rookie season a real season.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
F Brennan Othmann (New York Rangers): After he was scratched in the opener after taking a couple of bad penalties in the final pre-tournament game, he made his debut against Slovakia in Canada’s second game of the tournament and was quickly promoted from the fourth line to the first line with a three-point game (and later back to the fourth, where he was also good). One of the most physical players in the tournament. Delivered half a dozen huge hits. Talking post-whistles and playing the pest, too. Played a direct, attacking game with the puck. It was clear when he got back into the lineup that he was playing with a purpose.

F Will Cuylle (New York Rangers): Noticeable on the cycle and nice to see him hanging onto it, using his size advantage, and inviting players to try to take him on. Moving well. Good positionally. Always seemed to be in the mix of positive things. Skating looks like it has smoothed out.

G Dylan Garand (New York Rangers): More talkative than I remember (Cossa might have rubbed off that way). His usual technically sound, positionally sound, athletic-when-he-needs-to-be self. Garand didn’t steal a game, but he was solid and probably the second best goalie in the tournament after Wallstedt for me.

F Adam Sykora (New York Rangers): Sykora, who was technically an underager, was still an captain and asked to play a big role. He was around it and always in the mix through out. He played with his usual fearlessness. Love his work ethic. Skill blends into his speed and effort level beautifully to make plays. Great hands. Handles puck really deftly laterally. Great one-on-one. Processes the game, makes his reads, and executes quickly and intentionally. Just one of those kids who leaves it all out there, fights through contact, and wills plays into existence. The more I watch him, the more I like him. An admirable, direct game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Big for Garand to win gold for Canada as the starter!

I didn't see all games, but when I watched Cuylle was pretty anonomyous. But that isn't really negative from my POV. Cuylle's biggest strength is that he is a really good hockey player, period. He has very good hands. He sees the ice really well. But he isn't a one-man show, and if you don't play him in a bigger role he won't "stand out". From a NHL power forward prospect POV, that is 100% irrelevant anyway. If Cuylle makes it to the NHL he will play like Alex Killorn type of hockey, right? Killorn wouldn't dominate 2-3 tiers below the NHL. Collect pucks behind his own net and skate 8s around people the length of the ice and score.

NJ is seen as a bit of 'the' upcoming team in the EC. But man, look out for Columbus. I said this like a year ago already, but they could become really good...

Google Laffy highlights, there are some insanly gifted plays there too.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Big for Garand to win gold for Canada as the starter!

I didn't see all games, but when I watched Cuylle was pretty anonomyous. But that isn't really negative from my POV. Cuylle's biggest strength is that he is a really good hockey player, period. He has very good hands. He sees the ice really well. But he isn't a one-man show, and if you don't play him in a bigger role he won't "stand out". From a NHL power forward prospect POV, that is 100% irrelevant anyway. If Cuylle makes it to the NHL he will play like Alex Killorn type of hockey, right? Killorn wouldn't dominate 2-3 tiers below the NHL. Collect pucks behind his own net and skate 8s around people the length of the ice and score.

NJ is seen as a bit of 'the' upcoming team in the EC. But man, look out for Columbus. I said this like a year ago already, but they could become really good...

Google Laffy highlights, there are some insanly gifted plays there too.

Didn’t Girardi save a goal kinda like that in his time with the Rangers?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It was a great play to make but I'm kind of surprised everyone acting like that save by mctavish was some other level shit. He batted the puck out of the air with his stick, that happens all the time in the NHL and probably lower leagues as well. It takes a high level of hand eye coordination, and that was a great play at a crucial time, but that's not some insane skill play that only a few players could ever make

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It was a great play to make but I'm kind of surprised everyone acting like that save by mctavish was some other level shit. He batted the puck out of the air with his stick, that happens all the time in the NHL and probably lower leagues as well. It takes a high level of hand eye coordination, and that was a great play at a crucial time, but that's not some insane skill play that only a few players could ever make
It’s more about the timing and clutchness of it. It’s a moment of hockey lore now, like Richter’s save against Bure in ‘94.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
It’s more about the timing and clutchness of it. It’s a moment of hockey lore now, like Richter’s save against Bure in ‘94.
Exactly. Snatched the gold medal away from the Finns on that play.

Sure it was a bit lucky to pull that off, but he dominated play throughout the tournament as well. That only increased his standout play to another level.

I loved how Othmann threw his weight around. He crushed people. A couple of his hits led directly to goals for Team Canada. I didn't know that about him, being physical. I think he was giving a message to the Rangers Brass. He really wants to make the club this year.

A lot of people were not happy with the World Juniors being played in August. I thought it was great that the kids could showcase their skills leading up to camp. They should have it in August every year.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That Gold Medal denying save in OT was one for the books. I'll bet McTavish played some between the pipes when he was a youngster. Oh Baby what a save that was. One for the books.

The Finn who took the shot,... was too busy celebrating what he thought was the game winning goal, to follow up and poke the puck pass the goal line. He was right there. LOL!

Who is McTavish? Never heard of him. I see he has played a couple of games in the NHL. I would be surprised if he doesn't stick with the big club this season. He dominated this tournament. He will have an impact as a rookie unlike Laffy or Kakko.

Othmann and Cullen could only rate 4th line minutes. I would have thought they would be rated higher than that.

Everyone expects him to make the big club this coming season, and the writers in Anaheim are saying he will enter the league most likely on wing to ease him in, with guess who as his Center, yup.... Mr. Strome. McTavish and Strome may compliment each-other well.

Juniors can't do anything more for him, it's time for him to take the next step. In the 9 NHL games he played, he didn't look too out of place, scored a couple of goals and was a plus rating.

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
"Othmann, who surprisingly has been the more physical of the two Canadian wingers in the WJC, is coming off a phenomenal season with Flint in the OHL. As Brooks noted above, if New York keeps him beyond the nine-game tryout, he will have to remain with the team for the entire season, as he is ineligible to be sent down to the AHL. If you look at Mason McTavish last season and William Eklund as well, neither one stayed with their respective teams beyond the nine games. I would love to say it will be different for Othmann, but I believe he gets the tryout and then heads back to juniors."

Looks like the writing is on the wall for Othmann. Probably Cuylle as well.

Off topic,.... Tonight, we might see a preview of another subway series World Series. That's if the Yankees can hold it together.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
"Othmann, who surprisingly has been the more physical of the two Canadian wingers in the WJC, is coming off a phenomenal season with Flint in the OHL. As Brooks noted above, if New York keeps him beyond the nine-game tryout, he will have to remain with the team for the entire season, as he is ineligible to be sent down to the AHL. If you look at Mason McTavish last season and William Eklund as well, neither one stayed with their respective teams beyond the nine games. I would love to say it will be different for Othmann, but I believe he gets the tryout and then heads back to juniors."

Looks like the writing is on the wall for Othmann. Probably Cuylle as well.

Off topic,.... Tonight, we might see a preview of another subway series World Series. That's if the Yankees can hold it together.

Question for the prospect experts: If Othmann goes back to juniors after the 9 game stint, can the Rangers call him back at anytime? Obviously the ELC wont slide, but do they have to wait until his OHL season ends to bring him back?

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Nope, Lafreniere could never bat a puck out of the air in the WJC....

I'm not saying Laffy isn't gifted, but this is a bad example. Intercepting a pass midair can't really compare to a shot on net. Ok, the Finn kinda whiffed on the shot, and it went off his skate but still.

Love how the Finn was celebrating instead of poking the puck across the goal line. LOL!

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I'm not saying Laffy isn't gifted, but this is a bad example. Intercepting a pass midair can't really compare to a shot on net. Ok, the Finn kinda whiffed on the shot, and it went off his skate but still.

You literally said you don't think Lafreniere is gifted enough. Nope there isn't an exact play of Lafreniere saving a goal mid-air on the goal line. That opportunity doesn't come up all the time for a LW. Lil' secret though: Every high-end player in the WJC has really great hand to eye coordination which is all either of those two plays actually are. Great play by MacT though....although if he hadn't saved that, we'd be talking about his horrible pinch and lazy back-check that led to that situation in the first place.

so you're saying Miller sucks

Sucked...sucked, past tense. At least in that game he did.

Reactions: gabevh3 and Tob

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
You literally said you don't think Lafreniere is gifted enough.....
To make that play! Not that he doesn't possess some high-level skills. With the game on the line like that, I can see Foxy making that play, and indeed, he has made some nice saves during the season. I just don't see Laffy doing that. But that's only my opinion.

Last edited:

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'm not saying Laffy isn't gifted, but this is a bad example. Intercepting a pass midair can't really compare to a shot on net.

Uh, yes it’s the same thing. Batting a puck out of the air is batting a puck out for the air.

It was just unbelievably important and clutch timing for McTavish

Reactions: JCProdigy

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Uh, yes it’s the same thing. Batting a puck out of the air is batting a puck out for the air.
A saucer pass is not the same thing as taking a shot,... but what do I know? I sit at home, smoke weed all day, and drool on myself.

• Haha
Reactions: djzbad

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Now Lafreniere isn't gifted because a puck never randomly hit his stick while headed toward an empty net while on camera for all to see.

Kakko can't skate or shoot and he's mopy, Lafreniere isn't gifted enough for pucks to randomly hit him and he's too goofy.

We may as well never draft again. Someone tell Drury.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

It was just unbelievably important and clutch timing for McTavish
well, Laf scoring 7 seconds alter Canada getting tied with 3 minutes left in the game, is kind of unbelievably important and clutch timing... Hahahaha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad