Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2024

Feb 20, 2013
Yep, he and D partner Willander are tied for the best +/- in the tourney at +11. He was +3 today. He’s been nothing short of fantastic at 5 on 5 and is highly relied upon on the PK as well. He played the most of any Swedish player today at 21:44. Which isn’t a ton for a team’s leader in ATOI so clearly they balance their lines pretty evenly.

I’m actually surprised the Lindstein-Willander pairing isn’t playing more. They're both +11 so clearly the team is killing it when they’re out there. The Petterson-Havelid pairing is -3 and -1 respectively. Salomonsson-ASP are even and +1.

Stenberg had an assist, was also +3 and played 15:14.
Lindstein and Willander have definitely been the best pairing in the tournament, and likely the two best defencemen overall. As a Canucks fan I have been impressed with Willander's ability to create time/space for Lindstein to make passes (he is a smart, patient puck mover). Willander's contributions haven't showed up on the scoresheet in the same way, but they are still important. For Lindstein, the one question mark for me is his straight-line speed (his mobility is good otherwise), but he has been very good overall. He projects as a smart two-way puck mover a la Dan Hamhuis.

I will say this for their ice-time: Sweden has rolled 3 pairings pretty evenly and has set roles for their defensemen in that ASP and Havelid play on PP1 and PP2 respectively while Lindstein-Willander and Pettersson-Salomonsson are the PK pairings. They have done the same with the forwards on the PK, with players like Forsfjall, Rudslatt, O Pettersson and Born who don't feature on the PP are the go to guys on the PK. I think it is a pretty good system where every player has a role that they can focus on. Lindstein led in ice-time this game because SWE only had one PP (15 seconds), but expect ASP to lead in a game with more PP time, or E Pettersson to lead in a game with lots of PK time.

I have also liked Stenberg. In particular his ability to corral pucks in tight, be evasive with his edgework in zone, and find space to shoot have been impressive. He has outperformed some of the older Swedish first round picks like Ohgren and Bystedt.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
May be a dumb question. But how high end exactly is Snuggys shot? They’re using him like Ovechkin a lot this period.

May be a dumb question. But how high end exactly is Snuggys shot? They’re using him like Ovechkin a lot this period.
Yep was a dumb question. Answer is very

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
He's back with Gauthier and McGroarty now. Right after he scored on the PP they had a very impressive shift where the Fins couldn't get the puck off of them. Snuggy making good plays on the cycle and being a load in front of the net.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
helenius is so impressive for a 17 yo. so good in tight spaces, he should be even better on na ice. he and kaskimaki seem to have developed some chemistry. kid is really good. he might be my favorite forward (other than celebrini) in this draft.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
buium is really good too. he looks to be best draft eligible defenseman in this tourney. he doesn't really fit what we need- he is more shatty than heiskanen- but he should make someone happy in top 20 picks.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That's why I think Snuggs could have a pretty significant impact early. Even for just the PP, he has a skill that can be easily translated into early success, and it's a skill we currently lack.
Yup. Ignoring everything else, his current one-time ability is better than any player on our roster. If you want to build a left dot 1-time option onto your PP (you should), then he is a better option to do that job than any player currently on our team. I can't think of the last Blues rookie that joined our team with a specific/useful skill that was so far ahead of the rest of the existing team. None of Thomas/Kyrou/Neighbours/Fabbri/Tage deserved to be on the top PP unit right off the bat. Sticking them in the bottom 6 meant that they were going to play very limited minutes. But we can use Snuggy the same way when he gets here, but boost his minutes with 3+ PP minutes a game where he genuinely improves the unit.

I don't know if it is next year or the year after, but I think he has a change to produce right off the bat when he does get here.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
helenius is so impressive for a 17 yo. so good in tight spaces, he should be even better on na ice. he and kaskimaki seem to have developed some chemistry. kid is really good. he might be my favorite forward (other than celebrini) in this draft.
Agreed. Very smart player. Obviously quite skilled too. I’d like to see more of Lindstrom and Demidov but Helenius has been one of Finland’s best players as a 17 year old.

Great shot by Cutter on the PP. BS call against the Finns on the penalty though.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
we get the gold medal game we expected (and most of us wanted), as us will face host swedes. rematch of u18 gold in the spring, although only about a half dozen from each side were at u18 this year, but i believe a bunch more were there when the 2 met in '22 u18s, so these 2 seem to be the top countries in this age group (at least when bedard isn't playing). blues will have 3 of their last 4 1st rounders playing in this one, so guaranteed at least 1 of our prospects takes gold.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad