Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2024

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Wheeler's annual team prospect pool rankings usually come out the week after the World Juniors and I'm pretty excited to see where the Blues are at.

We were middle of the pack in Pronman's pipeline rankings (which include all NHL players under 23), but a lot of the teams in front of us were there on the strength of established young NHLers. I felt confident that we were going to be ranked higher in Wheeler's ranking of just prospect pools and this tournament probably moved a couple of our prospects up his overall rankings. Our prospects couldn't have shown much better than they have in this tournament.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Wheeler's annual team prospect pool rankings usually come out the week after the World Juniors and I'm pretty excited to see where the Blues are at.

We were middle of the pack in Pronman's pipeline rankings (which include all NHL players under 23), but a lot of the teams in front of us were there on the strength of established young NHLers. I felt confident that we were going to be ranked higher in Wheeler's ranking of just prospect pools and this tournament probably moved a couple of our prospects up his overall rankings. Our prospects couldn't have shown much better than they have in this tournament.
And Wheeler seems to be loving Dvorsky/Lindstein/Snuggy

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Blues prospects have scored a collective 38 points so far in this tourney. Not going to add up every team but BUF has 29 and SJ has 26. Upon a glance, I don’t think any other team should be close. They have 7 players in the tourney (tied for the most) and 6 of them are forwards so it should be expected that they’re near the top but it’s quite clear our prospects are collectively having a very good tourney.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
props to czechia and finland for great tourneys. each of them knocked out higher seed in quarters and gave top team fits in semis. ultimately swedes and usa had too much talent, but that shouldn't take away from how relentless czech forecheck was or how pesky finland was. but the swedes and americans each have like 15 guys who were drafted in top 2 rounds, mostly 1sts, and the finns and chechs had like 4-5 guys at that level between them. should be a fun final.

Reactions: Reality Czech

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Awesome! Boots on the ground. Can't wait for the extra-thorough scouting reports you've basically promised us! You da man!
Ha! I still live 2 hours away from the cities so I guess we’ll see how many 4 hour car rides and hotel stays I’ll be able to justify and continue to stay married. ;)

I’ll be curious to see how expensive the tickets will be.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
And Wheeler seems to be loving Dvorsky/Lindstein/Snuggy
Blues system has lacked D prospects too and Lindstein is going to start moving up prospect lists after his showing this year. Has anyone's system as a whole shown out as much as the Blues?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Ha! I still live 2 hours away from the cities so I guess we’ll see how many 4 hour car rides and hotel stays I’ll be able to justify and continue to stay married. ;)

I'd think to think the preliminary round tickets shouldn't be too bad, but the elimination round could get pricey.

My older brother flew out to Sweden for this year's WJC - I'll ask him roughly what the piecemeal tickets ran (he paid for a tour package, so he got tickets for all of the team Canada games, as well as the entirety of the elimination games). But I'd be very surprised if he didn't look at piecemeal vs the package pricing when he made that decision.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

take her with you, extended date nights!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My wife absolutely loathes this tournament and how much I want to watch it. 😬

Earlier today I told her I had good news and told her how the WJC was coming to that twin cities. She said it was very bad news…
I got the very, very large eyeroll when I told mine that I would be going media-blackout this afternoon and watching the recorded gold medal game in prime time tonight. She made the trip up to Minnesota and braved the cold weather for the Winter Classic, but there is no way I'm talking her into a trip for a World Junior tournament :laugh:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I got the very, very large eyeroll when I told mine that I would be going media-blackout this afternoon and watching the recorded gold medal game in prime time tonight. She made the trip up to Minnesota and braved the cold weather for the Winter Classic, but there is no way I'm talking her into a trip for a World Junior tournament :laugh:
My wife isnt thrilled either that I’ve been watching hockey almost nonstop this past week, between WJC and blues. I can’t imagine 2 weeks For WJC in Minnesota is in our future.

Reactions: Brian39

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Finland gave up 2 goals in like 20 seconds to go down 6-5 in the last minute.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Finland was up 5-2 late in 2nd and they have been outshot 17-4 in 3rd and are down 8-5 and about to lose. Oi vey!
Can’t say I saw that coming. The last 2 were empty netters but damn. 6 straight goals by the Czechs? Wow.

Kaskimaki’s penalty is what allowed Czechia to score another to only be down 1. He’s lucky he didn’t get a major IMO.

Congrats to Stancl on the Bronze.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Gold medal game should be very even. I see it as a toss-up. Best offense vs best defense. Augustine and Havalid clearly the 2 best goalies here.

Sweden will have a lot of pressure on them. Playing at home and they’re known to choke in this game. Haven’t won it since 2012, they’ve won lots of silvers.

The Americans defense is their weak spot. I like the Swedish team slightly more overall but see it as a 50/50 toss-up given the pressure and historical choking the Swedes seem known for.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Swedes have come out strong and had several chances during the first 10 minutes. The US goaltending has kept them off the scoreboard. Lindstein has looked good.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Couple nice passes through the NZ by Snuggerud leading to chances for the US. Been impressed with Stenberg’s speed and hands at a couple points as well, he will dominate this tournament next time around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad