Jul 9, 2022
Snuggerud. 4. 4. 2. 6. +4
Stenberg. 4. 3. 3. 6. +4
Dvorsky. 5 3. 3. 6. -1
Lindstein. 4. 1. 5. 6. +8
Stancl 5. 3. 1. 4. +6
Pekarcik. 5. 1. 2. 3. 0
Kaskimaki. 5. 2. 0. 2. +1
Add another Goal for Stenberg on a sweet tip on Sweden's first goal.

Man, if the Swiss can knock off Sweden here, USA should waltz to the gold.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Swedish TV mentioned that Alexander Steen is in attendance, but I couldn't catch why they were mentioning that. Maybe he's in line for a position with the national team?

Or maybe we'll be picking up some Swiss players in the draft. :D

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Terrible reffing ruined a great game. They let everything go in the third period, called a completely BS "spearing" penalty which wasn't a spearing penalty. Changed it to a slashing call when there was clearly no slash. Then they call a ticky tack hook on Switzerland in OT.

The USA fan in me wanted Switzerland to pull off the upset but the Blues fan in me would be excited to see Snuggerud v. Stenberg & Lindstein.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Production in the round robin is one thing, but I care more about production and play in the elimination games. So the Blues kids had a great day.

Dvorski, 1+1
Pekarcik 0+1
Kaskimaki 1+0
Stancl 2+0
Snuggerud 0+1
Stenberg 1+0
Lindstein - 2nd on his team in ice time by 6 seconds.

Of these 7, 5 are eligible to return next year.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Few notes on Kaskimäki.
He has taken big steps with his development in HIFK this season.
Kaskimäki has been HIFK's leading U20 scorer basically whole year.

He had already OK playoffs last season in SM liiga
and this season most HIFK fans are expecting big and improtant plays from him in liiga playoffs.

HIFK is this year competing SM liiga championship title
and Kaskimäki has supposed to be in big role if can stay healthy.

Kaskimäki has 1 year left of his 3 yrs SM liiga contract with HIFK
so it is open will he sign ELC contract with St Louis Blues this summer.

But if he does then St Louis should allow him to play next year in HIFK
there are examples why you shouldn't never hurry your prospects to NHL
so it would be better for Kaskimäki's development if can stay in HIFK season 2024-2025.

This season Kaskimäki has played mostly in 3rd line in HIFK
but if he can improve himself a bit more during the summer 2024
that would help him to get bigger role in HIFK season 2024-2025 and
maybe get some playing with former St Louis Blues C Jori Lehterä who's playing in HIFK right now

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Few notes on Kaskimäki.

and this season most HIFK fans are expecting big and improtant plays from him in liiga playoffs.

so it would be better for Kaskimäki's development if can stay in HIFK season 2024-2025.

maybe get some playing with former St Louis Blues C Jori Lehterä who's playing in HIFK right now
Appreciate the insight, I know most of us here aren't watching Liiga games

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Few notes on Kaskimäki.

Unless he desperately wants to come to North America, I’m fairly certain he’ll remain in Europe next year. Thank you for the update.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
watched back-to-back finland games this evening, first the sweden game and then the quarters against slovaks. after rough start to tourney, finns really coming on. finns forwards look much better than their d. of interest:

helenius- draft eligible- he is a stud. probably best remaining draft prospect in this tourney now that celebrini is out. if he can get another 1/2 step he can be real star. if not, should still be a fine player. top 10 pick, maybe top 5.

pulkkinen- reentry draft prospect- he is having really nice year, but i just am not seeing what i hoped to from him. his puck skills are meh, he isn't particularly agile, he doesn't seem to do anything great other than look tall. feels like a 3rd you are hoping hits, but likely doesn't..

kaskimaki- as stated by others, he has made huge progress this past year. scored go-ahead goal late in 3rd (slovaks tied it up right after). i am starting to see him as more of a winger than a cetner, but i think he can be top 6 winger if he continues to progress like he has over past year.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
disappointing tourney for slovaks, started with so much hope and ends in quarters. i have to think if coach figured out sooner that dvo was his best forward they might have fared better. Really odd line combos where they tried to keep top players apart and i feel like it really cost them. dvo flashed what he can do, but wasn't put in best position to produce. he has look of player that because his hands and mind are better than his feet, he needs to play with other skilled/smart guys to produce at peak level.

pekarcik looked good. more i watch him, more i think he is dallas drake type, wreacking havoc on forecheck, creating opportunities, doesn't quite have the skill to convert on many of the chances he gets but can play with better players and clean up some trash.

i would also question their goalie usage, by sitting starter aginst us they got hammered and seemed to have less swagger as a result.

and strbak had rough couple games too, which they couldn't afford as they aren't as deep on blue line as they are up front.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
kaskimaki- as stated by others, he has made huge progress this past year. scored go-ahead goal late in 3rd (slovaks tied it up right after). i am starting to see him as more of a winger than a cetner, but i think he can be top 6 winger if he continues to progress like he has over past year.
I knew he had a good shot and excellent hands, but didn't realize his skating was such an asset. His ability to transport the puck with speed through the neutral zone really impressed me. Hadn't seen that part of his game before, but it's very effective.

He looks lanky out there...if he can fill out his frame without losing the explosiveness in his skating (along with his good hands in tight and willingness to go to the dirty areas) then he may be able to develop into a real player for the Blues.

disappointing tourney for slovaks, started with so much hope and ends in quarters. i have to think if coach figured out sooner that dvo was his best forward they might have fared better. Really odd line combos where they tried to keep top players apart and i feel like it really cost them. dvo flashed what he can do, but wasn't put in best position to produce. he has look of player that because his hands and mind are better than his feet, he needs to play with other skilled/smart guys to produce at peak level.

pekarcik looked good. more i watch him, more i think he is dallas drake type, wreacking havoc on forecheck, creating opportunities, doesn't quite have the skill to convert on many of the chances he gets but can play with better players and clean up some trash.

i would also question their goalie usage, by sitting starter aginst us they got hammered and seemed to have less swagger as a result.

and strbak had rough couple games too, which they couldn't afford as they aren't as deep on blue line as they are up front.
They needed Gajan to have an excellent performance against the fins...unfortunately he was just OK.

Agreed there were some odd choices by the Slovak coaches. At least they eventually took Dvorsky off the point on the PP and put him on the flank so he could utilize his one timer. To their credit, they recognized Pekarcik's value and quickly moved him up the lineup.

I have been kind of "meh" on Dvorsky's game in the OHL so far and finally realized why. Yes he's put up plenty of points since transferring to the OHL, which is great, but I haven't seen him play with much desperation or serious intensity. Felt like I finally saw that from him in the game against Finland, and it was awesome to see. Really hope he can up his intensity level on a more consistent basis...if he does then the sky is the limit.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Swedish TV mentioned that Alexander Steen is in attendance, but I couldn't catch why they were mentioning that. Maybe he's in line for a position with the national team?

Or maybe we'll be picking up some Swiss players in the draft. :D
The press release announcing Steen as our European Player Development Consultant stated that he planned to continue working for the Sweden's World Junior Program. "In addition, he has also done some consulting and scouting work for Sweden's World Junior team, which he hopes to continue in a larger capacity next season."

I think it is a pretty safe bet that he is officially there on behalf of Team Sweden and not the Blues. I'm sure he will offer plenty of input to Army about his tournament impressions, but that probably wasn't his primary purpose for being there.

Reactions: pseudoswede

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
watched back=tp=back finland games this evening, first the sweden game and then the quarters against slovaks. after rough start to tourney, finns really coming on. finns forwards look much better than their d. of interest:

helenius- draft eligible- he is a stud. probably best remaining draft prospect in this tourney now that celebrini is out. if he can get another 1/2 step he can be real star. if not, should still be a fine player. top 10 pick, maybe top 5.

pulkkinen- reentry draft prospect- he is having really nice year, but i just am not seeing what i hoped to from him. his puck skills are meh, he isn't particularly agile, he doesn't seem to do anything great other than look tall. feels like a 3rd you are hoping hits, but likely doesn't..

Helenius hasn't scored much points in U20 WJC's that's true.
But his penalty shot goal vs Sweden was nice.

Helenius will have bigger role in U18 WJC's and there he should score a lot of points.
U18's will be played in Finland Espoo and Vantaa this coming april tickets are already in sell.

Pulkkinen absolutely is a boom or bust type player but with that size some NHL team will draft him.
Kaskimäki has a lot positive in his game skating is good and so are his skills.

But that which is absolutely positive too is that on the ice Kaskimäki doesn't shy or hesitate at all.
His courage to play brings energy to everyone including his teammates.

One more year in HIFK should be the Blues plan for Kaskimäki to next season.
That would help him to get better player but also Kaskimäki has a chance to perform his military service which is a mandatory to all men's and boys in Finland.

But of course the final word belongs to Doug Armstrong and St Louis Blues management.
I see it is possible Blues sign Kaskimäki with ELC contract this coming summer
but they will loan him to HIFK for a season 2024-2025.

Reactions: stl76 and Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Helenius hasn't scored much points in U20 WJC's that's true.
But his penalty shot goal vs Sweden was nice.

Helenius will have bigger role in U18 WJC's and there he should score a lot of points.
U18's will be played in Finland Espoo and Vantaa this coming april tickets are already in sell.

Pulkkinen absolutely is a boom or bust type player but with that size some NHL team will draft him.
Kaskimäki has a lot positive in his game skating is good and so are his skills.

But that which is absolutely positive too is that on the ice Kaskimäki doesn't shy or hesitate at all.
His courage to play brings energy to everyone including his teammates.

One more year in HIFK should be the Blues plan for Kaskimäki to next season.
That would help him to get better player but also Kaskimäki has a chance to perform his military service which is a mandatory to all men's and boys in Finland.

But of course the final word belongs to Doug Armstrong and St Louis Blues management.
I see it is possible Blues sign Kaskimäki with ELC contract this coming summer
but they will loan him to HIFK for a season 2024-2025.
Great to hear. Keep those Kaskimaki updates coming for us, please!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
watched back=tp=back finland games this evening, first the sweden game and then the quarters against slovaks. after rough start to tourney, finns really coming on. finns forwards look much better than their d. of interest:

I wonder if he's former Blues' defenceman, Dave Pulkkinen's grandson?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Lindstein on the board to tie it at 1. Complete whiff by the Czech goalie but a goal is a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad