Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2014-2015

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yes he is. I'm a firm believer he is our best natural defensemen in our system. The kids a stud. He won't wow you in the offensive zone but will be a mobile shutdown defensemen who can hit and fight.

Ya he is the modern day version of the old school stay at home guys.

Pure shutdown and he should be good enough to shut down the best the game offers (if healthy he will he shadowing McDavid in USA vs Canada).

He is also apparently a natural leader. Might of worn the C or at least an A if he didn't get hurt and his status wasn't questionable.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Yes he is. I'm a firm believer he is our best natural defensemen in our system. The kids a stud. He won't wow you in the offensive zone but will be a mobile shutdown defensemen who can hit and fight.

I think his offensive skills are going to surprise people, it's going to develop slowly but when he matures fully we are going to be very satisfied with both ends of his game.

I still think he's our best prospect at defense, even better than Severson and Larsson.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think his offensive skills are going to surprise people, it's going to develop slowly but when he matures fully we are going to be very satisfied with both ends of his game.

I still think he's our best prospect at defense, even better than Severson and Larrson.

That is saying something.

I know we have a lot to be upset about with this team, but we have a really bright future with our defensive drafting.

Having home grown potential elite D-men is huge.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
People forget how badass Volchenkov used to be in Ottawa. We only remember him coming here and being bad, but from 2004-2009 he was an absolute force. Physically dominant, outstanding defensively, he almost singlehandedly beat us in the 2008 playoffs. You just simply couldn't score when he was on the ice.

If Santini can be anything like him, or even an "updated" version of him, like a new age Daneyko or something, he's going to be quite a special player. Those guys are rare in todays game.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
People forget how badass Volchenkov used to be in Ottawa. We only remember him coming here and being bad, but from 2004-2009 he was an absolute force. Physically dominant, outstanding defensively, he almost singlehandedly beat us in the 2008 playoffs. You just simply couldn't score when he was on the ice.

If Santini can be anything like him, or even an "updated" version of him, like a new age Daneyko or something, he's going to be quite a special player. Those guys are rare in todays game.

really looking forward to seeing santini and what he can do. ill admit i dont watch the prospects all too often but from what others are saying it seems that he could be a player that i would love to have on the team smashing **** up.

hopefully he pans out unlike that first rounder corrente who did nothing at all for the team.

by the way, im hoping the US takes the tournament…..im sure my friends will be most impressed with me.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
I don't remember being this excited for a WJC. McDavid, Eichel and our two American boys. This will be fun to follow

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

I still think he's our best prospect at defense, even better than Severson and Larrson.

Holy crap :yo:
I also did not realize he was that big. For some reason I thought he was smallish and that's the reason he was not drafted in the first round.
Appears to be a decent size in the videos posted in this thread.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Holy crap :yo:
I also did not realize he was that big. For some reason I thought he was smallish and that's the reason he was not drafted in the first round.
Appears to be a decent size in the videos posted in this thread.

BC lists him as 6'2" and 208, so that is pretty good size for a 19 year old.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
"The Secretary of Defense"

oh yes, please. i love what is happening on the D as a whole right now.

too bad the F is an actual hole.

In 2010, 2011, 2012 and we were saying there were no defensemen and we had thread after thread about PMD's and defensemen...but if you look at those years when complaining about the defense was the highest, the pieces were already in the system and many refused to acknowledge them or be patient enough to let it happen.

I think we are in a similar situation with some forwards. I think we have a few NHL capable forwards right now and we are going to need a little patience.

What looks like a black hole right now can easily be significant contributors in Wood, Quenneville, Boucher, Matteau, Black or some others tomorrow.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
In 2010, 2011, 2012 and we were saying there were no defensemen and we had thread after thread about PMD's and defensemen...but if you look at those years when complaining about the defense was the highest, the pieces were already in the system and many refused to acknowledge them or be patient enough to let it happen.

I think we are in a similar situation with some forwards. I think we have a few NHL capable forwards right now and we are going to need a little patience.

What looks like a black hole right now can easily be significant contributors in Wood, Quenneville, Boucher, Matteau, Black or some others tomorrow.

Exactly. The drafting has been superb, now just add McDavid and the Devils are back baby.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012

How I feel too. The foundation is laid in goal, on the backend, and I say there's a fairly good chance that we produce some second liners and bottom-sixers from our current core of forward prospects. Throw in a potential top-10 pick this year and you add an elite forward talent.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How I feel too. The foundation is laid in goal, on the backend, and I say there's a fairly good chance that we produce some second liners and bottom-sixers from our current core of forward prospects. Throw in a potential top-10 pick this year and you add an elite forward talent.

Absolutely...and if we can trade some older players for a couple more top 100 picks in a good draft this year we can revamp the pipeline pretty quickly.

The Bruins really turned their franchise around in 1 draft. In 2006 with a top 5 pick. These 3 top 100 picks are a key reason for their recent success.

We need a year like this, right now.
# 5 Phil Kessel
# 50 Milan Lucic
# 71 Brad Marchand

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
Absolutely...and if we can trade some older players for a couple more top 100 picks in a good draft this year we can revamp the pipeline pretty quickly.

The Bruins really turned their franchise around in 1 draft. In 2006 with a top 5 pick. These 3 top 100 picks are a key reason for their recent success.

We need a year like this, right now.
# 5 Phil Kessel
# 50 Milan Lucic
# 71 Brad Marchand

I'd be happy with just ONE of those guys. An impact player who can be ready now instead of in a few years. I agree with you Jim in not losing sight of what we are cultivating in our pipeline but it'd sure be nice to have someone jump in quicker than expected (at fwd) for once.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Team usa is really waiting last minute to make the final cut. Really hoping santini is healthy

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Really looking forward to Graham Black in camp next year. If he can put on some weight, I think he'll be like a josefson with actual scoring ability.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Really looking forward to Graham Black in camp next year. If he can put on some weight, I think he'll be like a josefson with actual scoring ability.

I'm excited for Black too, although he doesn't get much love around here. I think he can be a Hagelin type player for us, just not sure whether he has the same offensive skill.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm excited for Black too, although he doesn't get much love around here. I think he can be a Hagelin type player for us, just not sure whether he has the same offensive skill.

I see way more of a Zajac type center out of Black...calculated, responsible, cerebral centerman. A classic pivot. I actually like the Josefson with more scoring comparison

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I see way more of a Zajac type center out of Black...calculated, responsible, cerebral centerman. A classic pivot. I actually like the Josefson with more scoring comparison

Black was the fastest skater in the whl and is a very similar build to Hagelin, and they have similar production. Zajac is a mediocre skater and is much larger. The only similarity I see between the two is that they're two way players. Similarly with Josefson, he's a bigger guy and not nearly the type of skater that Black is. Whereas skating is one of Black's top assets and something this team lacks, Josefson and Zajac are pretty poor in that department. I see Black as a player with explosive speed and that will create a lot of issues for the opposing team, especially shorthanded (similar to Hagelin).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Josefson is every bit the skater Black is and Zajac is far from mediocre. Explosive speed typically doesn't come from a center, it comes the wings, straight up and down...a center has far too many responsibilities to be "explosive".

Right now Black is still a two way center, possibly he gets move to the wing in the future, but I doubt it.

But comparing a speed LW in Hagelin to any two way center makes little to no sense.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Josefson is every bit the skater Black is and Zajac is far from mediocre. Explosive speed typically doesn't come from a center, it comes the wings, straight up and down...a center has far too many responsibilities to be "explosive".

Right now Black is still a two way center, possibly he gets move to the wing in the future, but I doubt it.

But comparing a speed LW in Hagelin to any two way center makes little to no sense.

Zajac and Josefson may be strong on their skates, but they are not explosive or fast skaters by any means. This is one of Black's primary assets. Zajac is 6'3" 200 plus, Black is 5'11" 170. I just don't see a comparison despite them being two way centers. Especially shorthanded, he will present very similar issues for opponents as Hagelin does. In his draft year, Black was compared to Chris Kelly which I think is pretty fair, although Black may have a little more offensive upside. Here's a quote from his former teammate.

Graham Black is a unique player and can certainly be a game changer. He has explosive speed that challenges any defenceman he faces. He has a creative hockey sense that brings energy to the game. His speed and accurate shot have the potential to make him a top scorer at the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad