GDT: World Cup of Hockey talk

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Aho doesn't look out of place playing against the best young talent in the NHL on NA ice.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't see any teams shutting down that Matthews/McDavid/Eichel line. Too much skill, speed, and power.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Aho doesn't seem to be getting much ice time.

It does seem that way. He's got more TOI than 4 other players on Finland at 4:09 and 0:19 of that is PP time. I still think they could be using him more though, but part of me doesn't care. The last thing we need is him getting injured before the season starts.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Aho doesn't seem to be getting much ice time.

That line is being played like the Fins third line. I think after the initial NA goal, the Finish coach decided that the experienced guys would best help control the speed of the NA team. The Fin's D looks bad...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Everyone is trashing Finland like they were terrible but I think Team NA is actually just that good. I expect similar thrashings for Russia and Sweden. I guess that is just what a team lined with #1 OA picks and franchise Superstars does.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
With Teams NA and Europe this tourney feels more like an all star tourney to me. Except Team USA didn't quite get the memo. I'd like to see the Olympics move towards a soccer setup with the World Cup being the premier tournament for the pros.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Finland was outplayed, but Rinne was awful.

Aho was decent.

To be honest, I think Aho was just doing what he could to survive without getting run over. NA was playing like a team of coked up thoroughbreds. He did fine though, nothing special but again his positioning and speed stands out to me. He out paced his man on more than once occasion chasing for pucks, or moving through the neutral zone. Although, as a whole Finland couldn't move through the neutral zone well, or keep the puck in NAs zone for more than 5-10 seconds without being burned by NA's transitional wizardry.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Finland was outplayed, but Rinne was awful.

Aho was decent.

It was so hard to tell how he did. It seemed like his line would get on the ice, and then within 10 seconds there would be a whistle and a stoppage. At that point, the Finish coach would use the opportunity to get one of the more experienced lines back on the ice. Aside from the first shift they had, it seemed like there was just no chemistry on their line. Any time any of them did anything, it seemed they were out of sync or one of them would misplay the puck and then NA was off and running. I didn't think any of the three had a good game.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
The thing that I like about him, is that even though almost nothing was clicking, he was still always exactly where he needed to be. And that's pretty damn tough to do playing against that team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The thing that I like about him, is that even though almost nothing was clicking, he was still always exactly where he needed to be. And that's pretty damn tough to do playing against that team.

Despite being consistently outplayed, he did seem to be in the right spots. Gives me a reason for optimism when he is eventually playing opposing teams' 3rd liners instead of a constant barrage of five Superstars.

It didn't help that his line was regularly being countered with the McDavid line. McDavid was slicing and dicing through the entire Finnish roster. His ability to steal a puck then go 0-60 in transition is a sight to behold.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
this **** is gimmicky af

Which is why I'm basically boycotting this event. It's Bettman trying to pull rank on the Olympics by saying "our event is superior!" When it is, in fact, an money-grabbing absurdity.

I mean, hey, there's some fun hockey out there, sure -- but c'mon. This is a glorified exhibition tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad