GDT: World Cup of Hockey talk

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ristolainen is a damn stud also. I can see Ristolainen and Eichel anchoring the Sabres similar to how Hedman and Stamkos did/do in Tampa. Not saying they'll be as good as those 2, but they won't be far off IMO.

He's the defense version of Aho. Just a guy who will always be beloved in Finland for his contributions at the U20 scoring the golden goal a few years back. He's the real deal too.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I went to the Sweden/Europe game last night. Not a great atmosphere, and Sweden wasn't too great, but it was still pretty fun. It was nice to get a little hockey action the last few days to hold me over til at least pre-season.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
If you were every curious what hockey would look like if training camp didn't exist and we just jumped into meaningful hockey games without preseason, this is your tournament. Half these guys probably started skating a few weeks ago.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yep. Also, since up until this point, these were all just exhibition games, you can tell there are periods of "don't care" going on. I watch Russia and Canada last night and until later in the game, I didn't see Ovie lay 1 hit. You know that's not going to be the case when the games mean something.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As much as I love anything at this point of the off season, I don't know if televising the exhibition games helps the cause. Clearly the guys are just shaking off rust and trying to not get hurt before it even begins.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
As much as I love anything at this point of the off season, I don't know if televising the exhibition games helps the cause. Clearly the guys are just shaking off rust and trying to not get hurt before it even begins.

Yeah. I can't imagine anyone but hockey fans (ie....people already hooked) even tune into these games. I enjoyed it, as long as you take it in the right light. Even Levy and Melrose are taking it lightly as most of the broadcast is them joking around and taking funny jabs at guys.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Which is part of the reason the kids look considerably better than their peers. They aren't mailing anything in. Laine was just doing whatever he wanted the other night.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah. I can't imagine anyone but hockey fans (ie....people already hooked) even tune into these games. I enjoyed it, as long as you take it in the right light. Even Levy and Melrose are taking it lightly as most of the broadcast is them joking around and taking funny jabs at guys.

Listening to Barry Melrose makes me miss Tripp Tracy.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't mind Melrose. He's not a great announcer by any means, but he doesn't take himself too seriously, which IMO is a good thing.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
There just aren't enough good color guys to warrant taking shots at Melrose, especially from a bunch of yahoos who are exposed to Tripp friggin Tracy 80 games a year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Sounded like Barry and Steve were shaking the rust off too, or maybe just not caring very much. It wasn't like they were calling the games as much as just watching them with us and throwing out some comments. Wouldn't surprise me if they sound different during the real games.

I always liked these two as a pair. Thorne/Clemente and John Davidson/Sam Rosen are the ones I think I miss the most.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Which is part of the reason the kids look considerably better than their peers. They aren't mailing anything in. Laine was just doing whatever he wanted the other night.

Probably a spot on idea. I'm really curious to see the kids defend against the nhl'ers during the tourney. Extended grinding and cycling against the big boys will break them down quicker than other teams I would suspect. Picking up the late trailers consistently might be an issue as well. Speed is fun to watch, but it's easy to speed right past where you need to be or not be patient enough defensively.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
in 2006 prior to the start of the playoffs, melrose picked carolina and dallas to reach the finals

i saw it on sportscenter 10 years ago, and i trust my memory

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
in 2006 prior to the start of the playoffs, melrose picked carolina and dallas to reach the finals

i saw it on sportscenter 10 years ago, and i trust my memory

God imagine the ******** had that actually been the matchup that year. Would traditional fans have been upset had JWillie been pushed into Marty Turco forcing Dallas to play whoever the backup was? I doubt it.

Jerk Newton

5 Nights at Stormy's
Nov 11, 2005
North Carolina
I didn't notice if this was happening during those exhibition games, but they must be superimposing ads around the boards. Weird seeing Sportscenter wrap around the ice.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Good. Torts is likely the worst coach in the league right now and the player selections to fit him were beyond questionable. Maybe USA Hockey will get their heads out of their ***** if they are a complete flop here.

Yeah, that would probably be the best thing for USA.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah, that would probably be the best thing for USA.

Yep. Torts over Laviolette as coach for this is inexplicable.

Abdelkader and Dubinsky over far more talented, faster players like Kessel and Johnson is inexplicable.

the Johnsons and Niskanen over Shattenkirk and Faulk is inexplicable

benching Buf today in favor of Jack Johnson is beyond inexplicable

USA Hockey needs to clean house and bring in forward-thinking minds like Canada did when Yzerman named GM.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Sounded like Barry and Steve were shaking the rust off too, or maybe just not caring very much. It wasn't like they were calling the games as much as just watching them with us and throwing out some comments. Wouldn't surprise me if they sound different during the real games.

I always liked these two as a pair. Thorne/Clemente and John Davidson/Sam Rosen are the ones I think I miss the most.

I know the players hated Gary Thorne because he pronounced a lot of names wrong and refused to learn, but whatever happened to Bill Clement? I always enjoyed his commentary, and he survived the ESPN to OLN/Versus transition.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I will probably just root for the young guns.

Team USA is garbage and unlikable. Faulk, Kessel, Shattenkirk, Johnson should be there over players that are actually bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad