World Cup every 2 years?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
FIFA unveils biennial World Cup plan, UEFA threatens boycott

(AP) — FIFA detailed its plan for reshaping international soccer around playing the men’s World Cup every two years despite European opposition that could lead to a boycott.

Joined by retired greats, FIFA unveiled the proposal Thursday but the pushback from Europe was immediate as UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin confirmed it could launch a boycott by its teams which have dominated soccer’s marquee event since Brazil won in 2002.

European soccer leader Ceferin said “as far as I know, the South Americans are on the same page” with resisting FIFA’s plan.

“So good luck with a World Cup like that,” Ceferin told The Times in the latest UEFA vs. FIFA fight since 2016 when he and Gianni Infantino were elected to the respective presidencies.

Arsene Wenger has led the project since FIFA hired the former Arsenal coach last year to be its director of global development.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I didn't think the phrase Wenger Out would transcend beyond just his managerial spell, but here we are.

#WengerOut

Reactions: robertmac43

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Maybe someone will be able to convince me otherwise, but to me, this just feels like football trying to cram too many games into the calendar.
The World Cup every two years most definitely would ruin the Euros/AFCON/South America, etc., but being able to see more world class players play in the biggest tournament in the world more times in their prime isn't a bad idea. I would say I am on the fence because I do think making it every two years would definitely hamper down the aura of the WC compared to every four years. However, just picture being able to watch Polish-born and developed international superstar Miro Klose play at his prime in three-to-four World Cups instead of just two maximum.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
but being able to see more world class players play in the biggest tournament in the world more times in their prime isn't a bad idea
With the tournament expanding to 48 teams that talent will be more dispersed. The quality of the tournament will take a hit and having it every 2 years will take out a bit of the spectacle of the tournament.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Someone should hire him ASAP so he can go back to ruining just one club, instead of all international football :sarcasm:
You mean singelhandedly stop a club from being ruined?

Reactions: cgf

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The World Cup every two years most definitely would ruin the Euros/AFCON/South America, etc., but being able to see more world class players play in the biggest tournament in the world more times in their prime isn't a bad idea. I would say I am on the fence because I do think making it every two years would definitely hamper down the aura of the WC compared to every four years. However, just picture being able to watch Polish-born and developed international superstar Miro Klose play at his prime in three-to-four World Cups instead of just two maximum.
This is analogous to the argument made in support of the Super League. The problem is when you take something that is special and unique and make it more routine, it loses a lot of what makes it special and unique. We already get to see world class players playing against world class players yearly anyway, just not always in national kits.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
With the tournament expanding to 48 teams that talent will be more dispersed. The quality of the tournament will take a hit and having it every 2 years will take out a bit of the spectacle of the tournament.
I totally get that (losing the spectacle of it) and why I am not truly accepting this idea, but just picture Mr. Robert being able to watch WC talent like Alphonso Davies getting to play on the biggest stage more times than not in a Maple Leafs kit?! That's how you - IMO - market your best players, for example I would kill to be able to see Robben play more times on the WC because he was absolutely wonderful to watch (when he isn't diving of couse).

This is analogous to the argument made in support of the Super League. The problem is when you take something that is special and unique and make it more routine, it loses a lot of what makes it special and unique. We already get to see world class players playing against world class players yearly anyway, just not always in national kits.
I prefer domestic competition myself since I have zero hope in our international team and I understand what you're saying, but even myself can admit that being able to put on the national kit to see WC talent versus WC talent is more meaningful for all the parties involved than seeing Arsenal vs Barca in the CL Finals you know?

Reactions: robertmac43

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm open to a lot of changes...I'm pro-VAR, 5 subs, waterbreaks, and am open to experimenting with stopping the clock...but I don't like this idea very much. Maybe someone will be able to convince me otherwise, but to me, this just feels like football trying to cram too many games into the calendar.
stop the clock is where i draw the line. 5 subs is too much in itself. fine with the others although I can do away with VAR but i dont mind it too much.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Top players who represent their national teams already play enough games as it is with Champions league and league cups with their club teams. Add in the regional tournaments and these top players are basically playing year round. I mean didn't Pedri play like over 70 games this past season? Just a ridiculous idea and I don't think the players are going to stand for it

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The problem is, lets assume it actually happens. UEFA isn't just going to end the Euros, just how other confederations won't end their more localized major tournaments. Then you have the issue of qualifying, so now the top players get very little off-season. There is a point when there are just too many games for players to handle.

There is more than enough games to keep fans interested, this is just about money.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
So dumb. Why not also have the Euros, the Summer Olympics, and the Winter Olympics every 2 years? :rolleyes:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I used to think people who said international soccer was shit were dramatic. But lately I’ve come around to that opinion more and more. For a lot of reasons but mainly bc the demand for club commitment has exploded, has resulted In really shitty National team output all around IMO. We don’t need more of it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I used to think people who said international soccer was shit were dramatic. But lately I’ve come around to that opinion more and more. For a lot of reasons but mainly bc the demand for club commitment has exploded, has resulted In really shitty National team output all around IMO. We don’t need more of it.
Qualifers might be boring if you dont have a vested interest but nothing compares to a international tournament. Quality wise its a bit lacking but more than makes up for it with hype, drama, passion and atmosphere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad