World Cup every 2 years?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Qualifers might be boring if you dont have a vested interest but nothing compares to a international tournament. Quality wise its a bit lacking but more than makes up for it with hype, drama, passion and atmosphere.

Oh there’s definitely another angle to it that clubs don’t deliver. I’m not talking about that part.

I’m saying the quality of play. More teams get added and the quality declines. More games in shorter periods due to Covid, worse quality. The more and more we add, without ever touching club calendars, is yielding shitty quality.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
International has a dip in quality, but the entertainment is better than club IMO. That's just knockout play with players that have limited chemistry with each other though.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It would replace the existing continental competitions, so talk of match congestion etc. is kinda missing the point. The real issue is that it would replace the existing continental competitions and thus destroy one of the biggest commercial properties that UEFA controls. FIFA moving ahead with it against UEFA's wishes would almost certainly lead to a collapse of FIFA as the Europeans would pull out.

Reactions: Power Man

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Oh there’s definitely another angle to it that clubs don’t deliver. I’m not talking about that part.

I’m saying the quality of play. More teams get added and the quality declines. More games in shorter periods due to Covid, worse quality. The more and more we add, without ever touching club calendars, is yielding shitty quality.
Oh I agree completely if anything I want less games. I just think international footy gets unwarranted hate. Since its not about quality but more about hype. imo

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Things are fine the way they are. It is just FIFA trying to make more money for itself.

As usual in World football, it is a corrupt entity (FIFA) fighting other corrupt entities (FAs, continental bodies) for control of the profits.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The World Cup every two years most definitely would ruin the Euros/AFCON/South America, etc., but being able to see more world class players play in the biggest tournament in the world more times in their prime isn't a bad idea. I would say I am on the fence because I do think making it every two years would definitely hamper down the aura of the WC compared to every four years. However, just picture being able to watch Polish-born and developed international superstar Miro Klose play at his prime in three-to-four World Cups instead of just two maximum.

...was watching Miro play in 4 WMs not enough?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
stop the clock is where i draw the line. 5 subs is too much in itself. fine with the others although I can do away with VAR but i dont mind it too much.

Stopping the clock is one that I'd be interested in seeing tested, but don't think would really make a significant positive impact...like increasing the number of subs to (somewhat) compensate for the increase in matches, would.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I used to think people who said international soccer was shit were dramatic. But lately I’ve come around to that opinion more and more. For a lot of reasons but mainly bc the demand for club commitment has exploded, has resulted In really shitty National team output all around IMO. We don’t need more of it.
Ironically, I think that the on pitch product is starting to improve again...nowhere near the level of club football and the expansion of tournaments is negating some of that improvement...but we're seeing more cohesive & capable teams lower down the totem pole, and a higher standard of coaching at the higher echelons; as big teams are shelling out for guys like Mancini, Enrique, Flick...and Pep's floating the idea of coaching Argentina...while "smaller" teams are pumping out talent like never before.

Tons of other stupidity to do with NT football...but the football itself doesn't feel as far behind club football as it did 10-15 years ago, at least to me.*

*this may be entirely due to getting to enjoy watching my country play for the first time since qualification for euro 2016.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I remember when Christian Eriksen nearly died and people questioned if top level footballers were being asked to do too much. Good to see that conversation lasted long and was taken seriously.
The proposal doesn’t lead to a tighter schedule though. Look at it closely. Qualifying would be much shorter for example and the schedule is reduced in other ways.

-Qualifying matches are reduced by 40%
- Only 2 international breaks all year, 1 month each
-Teams will be picked sooner and will stay together longer which will give a club football feel to international football
- This will give players who aren't selected or injured player more rest.
-The rest period after competitions will be at least 25 days, compared to 11 - 14 days in some cases like 2014 and 2018 World Cups
- This will help players who don't get a chance with their clubs develop

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It would replace the existing continental competitions, so talk of match congestion etc. is kinda missing the point. The real issue is that it would replace the existing continental competitions and thus destroy one of the biggest commercial properties that UEFA controls. FIFA moving ahead with it against UEFA's wishes would almost certainly lead to a collapse of FIFA as the Europeans would pull out.

UEFA wouldn't stop holding the Euros. So FIFA claiming this would just replace them is bullshit. Either FIFA & UEFA would need to force players to agree to play in both during a single year, or anyone playing their club football in europe, would only be allowed to participate in every other world cup.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You know what, if Europe and SA boycotts, I support it. We'd finally have a chance to win, I'll just plug my ears at it being a fake WC.

S***

...no, wait, I've figured it out! If there is a Euros or Copa on, we'll send U23 teams to the "World Cup". Then the top 3 finishers can each get a medal instead of some silly trophy, and we can make it all part of a larger celebration of sport.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
UEFA wouldn't stop holding the Euros. So FIFA claiming this would just replace them is bullshit. Either FIFA & UEFA would need to force players to agree to play in both during a single year, or anyone playing their club football in europe, would only be allowed to participate in every other world cup.

Well, exactly, the two positions aren't really compatible. FIFA knows they'd have to bully UEFA into submission on this. How FIFA hopes to do this given most of the money comes out of UEFA....who knows. Even if the Arabs/Chinese are throwing their money behind it, the World Cup would lose at least 50% of its value without European players involved.

I think UEFA values the Euro highly enough as an asset that they would break with FIFA over it. But that resolve might be exactly what FIFA is trying to test with a 'study' like this.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, exactly, the two positions aren't really compatible. FIFA knows they'd have to bully UEFA into submission on this. How FIFA hopes to do this given most of the money comes out of UEFA....who knows. Even if the Arabs/Chinese are throwing their money behind it, the World Cup would lose at least 50% of its value without European players involved.

I think UEFA values the Euro highly enough as an asset that they would break with FIFA over it. But that resolve might be exactly what FIFA is trying to test with a 'study' like this.

Hopefully you're right, but I wouldn't put trying to move forward despite UEFA & Conmebol losing their s***, past FIFA. So I still need to see whether they're actually that delusional or if they were just testing the waters before diving back behind cover :dunno:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We can change the sport name to murderball when players start dropping.

You mean moneyball, that's all they care about and the Word Cup is a cash cow. I hope they're aware that they'll have to do the same for the women and I don't think the appeal for that is there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure if Eriksen's heart condition had much to do with the no. of games he played. Clearly there are athletes that push their bodies in terms of the physical limits a lot further than football players.

I haven't read all the details about the proposal, but to me much of the point with regional tournaments are that teams that basically never reach the WC get to play in a less competitive tournament. That could be solved more or less by expanding the WC, but I'm not sure if you would want to expand it that far? Also teams like Argentina who will be fighting for regional titles, but are not good enough to do anything in the WC might prefer having one regional tournament as well.

To me it seems like they are trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. I'm perfectly fine with Norway not playing the WC and Euro's every 2 years. Not playing in the WC every 2 years doesn't change much for me.

Reactions: AB13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad