World Cup every 2 years?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
This only works for me if they get rid of other tournaments and crap players have to play in.

Since none of the regional organizations will ever go for that, and effectively give up their controlled revenues, it's a non starter.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Not sure if Eriksen's heart condition had much to do with the no. of games he played. Clearly there are athletes that push their bodies in terms of the physical limits a lot further than football players.

I haven't read all the details about the proposal, but to me much of the point with regional tournaments are that teams that basically never reach the WC get to play in a less competitive tournament. That could be solved more or less by expanding the WC, but I'm not sure if you would want to expand it that far? Also teams like Argentina who will be fighting for regional titles, but are not good enough to do anything in the WC might prefer having one regional tournament as well.

To me it seems like they are trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. I'm perfectly fine with Norway not playing the WC and Euro's every 2 years. Not playing in the WC every 2 years doesn't change much for me.

What? Is this trolling? This is a stupid take unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say. Outside of European countries, Argentina is alongside Brazil the only team with a realistic chance to win a WC in the foreseeable future and has historically won the cup as well.

As for the proposal, what makes it awful, is that World Cup played only once every four years is exactly the thing that makes the WC special. If it would be played more often, it would lose a lot of its' luster.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
ifhedies.jpg

Seemed appropriate.

Reactions: cgf

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
It probably will happen, especially if AFC, CAF and CONCACAF are for it which hold the voting power if they approve. Heck I won’t be shocked if in my lifetime the World Cup is a 64 team tournament :rolleyes:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Heck I won’t be shocked if in my lifetime the World Cup is a 64 team tournament
This makes me want to cry. This WCQ cycle is so important since I want one legit 32 team qualifying from Canada before it becomes an open tournament lol

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
UEFA and Conmebal are both against it, which is big.

We need the major leagues, fans, and players to step up again just like with the superleague nonsense.

Reactions: luiginb

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Unless FIFA decides to listen to its biggest teams and scrap the idea, it’ll pass. The small nations have enough votes to pass it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
FIFA having the votes to pass it doesn't mean UEFA & Conmebol won't boycott tournaments that clash with the Euros & Copa.

That’s what FIFA is going to have to weigh. If they want it, they’ll have it. But it may come with costs if it’s biggest federations voice their displeasure.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I love how humble Wenger is - when people just understand and leave their feelings behind we will all agree this is a great idea.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Has anyone at FIFA even elucidated on the need for a biennial World Cup? I mean, I know it's money, but why are *they* saying we need this tournament every two years?

The current calendar is a mess, but this doesn't even remotely sound in anyone's best interests outside of a few FIFA execs.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Has anyone at FIFA even elucidated on the need for a biennial World Cup? I mean, I know it's money, but why are *they* saying we need this tournament every two years?

The current calendar is a mess, but this doesn't even remotely sound in anyone's best interests outside of a few FIFA execs.

I guess any summer without football is a wasted opportunity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad