Toronto FC: World Cup Edition - (no longer) featuring Team CANADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Deciding a game on penalty kicks is like flipping a coin
Lame
Not at all. I don't think footy fans think it's unfair (unless you root for England). The games would go on way too long if they didn't limit it to 2x45 min halfs plus 30 min. of extra time.

Penalty kicks are a test of skill and concentration. There's a lot to it. If all things being equal the better team can often keep that skill/concentration going into the penalty kicks.

Did France "deserve" to win? I don't think so.

Reactions: fancy lad

NewZealandMike

Nov 14, 2022
Not at all. I don't think footy fans think it's unfair (unless you root for England). The games would go on way too long if they didn't limit it to 2x45 min halfs plus 30 min. of extra time.

Penalty kicks are a test of skill and concentration. There's a lot to it. If all things being equal the better team can often keep that skill/concentration going into the penalty kicks.

Did France "deserve" to win? I don't think so.
Argentina deserved to win, if not for 2 PK the game would have been over in time. Argentina is such an amazing country to anyone who has ever been. Geographically similar to Canada blended with strong European Non English influences

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Da final was a bit of a shocker as I did not expect Argentina to run around and play with France most of game .. but France got better near end of game and OT and Mbappe proved his worth (he will be next GOAT) .. but better team won game and Messi left enough energy for final to win it .. da 1st man ever in WC history with 2 golden balls .. he now goes down with Pele and Maradona as GOATs of futball .. like my buddy said never ever bet against Messi he is too damn good at a level about human

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Da final was a bit of a shocker as I did not expect Argentina to run around and play with France most of game .. but France got better near end of game and OT and Mbappe proved his worth (he will be next GOAT) .. but better team won game and Messi left enough energy for final to win it .. da 1st man ever in WC history with 2 golden balls .. he now goes down with Pele and Maradona as GOATs of futball .. like my buddy said never ever bet against Messi he is too damn good at a level about human
Messi is truly great, but I’m glad Embappe won the golden boot, would have been weird to have a guy win when over half his goals were pk’s

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I'll say i am starting to get excited for the start of the MLS season. Team seems to be making some good acquisitions, although there are a lot of unknowns (i've never heard of most of the new guys), and while Victor Vasquez is intriguing, he must be so old right now. Not sure how reliable he will be. team still seems a little thin and lacking depth.

However Jayden Nelson not being here next year is a big plus. He sucks pretty bad.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009

Surprised it's February and we haven't seen the depth on the roster get filled in. Also appears we'll be waiting potentially until summer for a third DP which is disappointing considering the ages of our two stars. It's a win now or never roster, so need the team now.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Surprised it's February and we haven't seen the depth on the roster get filled in. Also appears we'll be waiting potentially until summer for a third DP which is disappointing considering the ages of our two stars. It's a win now or never roster, so need the team now.
I'm fine if they wait for the third DP, needs to be a fit.

Miseed on a couple of DP's in recent memory and we cannot afford to have that happen again.

Reactions: thehockeysong

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
I'm fine if they wait for the third DP, needs to be a fit.

Miseed on a couple of DP's in recent memory and we cannot afford to have that happen again.

As long as we can find a good fit this coming summer and have enough depth to have a competent and cohesive team up until that point I'm okay with it.

My only worry is about having another lost season. Here's hoping for health, becuause if healthy, I think our starting group is as good as anyone's.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
As long as we can find a good fit this coming summer and have enough depth to have a competent and cohesive team up until that point I'm okay with it.

My only worry is about having another lost season. Here's hoping for health, becuause if healthy, I think our starting group is as good as anyone's.
Health will be key, we are one of the best starting 11s for sure. The backline is in a much better spot than it was going into last season which is massive. Obviously the attack will be lethal if the front 3 can stay healthy.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Health will be key, we are one of the best starting 11s for sure. The backline is in a much better spot than it was going into last season which is massive. Obviously the attack will be lethal if the front 3 can stay healthy.
Even having average GK would be a big improvement, nevermind that I think we can expect well above average keeping. It got wild down the stretch with how many blunders were happening in net. Cost them a lot more than just a couple games I think.

You're right - the backline getting fixed (hopefully) is a big help too.

Really comes down to whether our paper thin mid and attack can hold up, or if lack of depth hurts us. Either way, it's gonna be a fun year

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What’s going on with Soccer Canada. They are cutting their budget in a year where the Men’s team just went to the WC since 1986 and the Women’s team is about to enter their World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad