World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Anecdotal but it's hilarious to talk to my NHL fan friends about this. Most don't even realize the gimmick teams exist.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
They're selling them in eight-game packages now too. Maybe they couldn't get enough idiots to drop $8,186 on a couple nosebleed seats for the tournament.

Still ridiculous, but I can understand why they do it. A way to try to sell tickets for the dead games. The week before the tourney starts they'll start selling as single game.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
They could still change their mind and invite Slovakia and Swiss or any real NT. Bettman is so stupid for not understanding the atmosphere of real NT tournamen. It is greater than any other form of hockey. Putting gimmicks in just ruins it. I wonder how many times fans have to say it untill they change it

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I wonder how many times fans have to say it untill they change it
Fans opening their mouths probably won't turn their heads no matter how many times it's done.

Fans not opening their wallets however...

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I am watching the Eurocup and Copa America. The passion from the spectators is fantastic. How is it that Gary Bettman does not understand that nationalism is driving this passion.

You would think after the past NHL Olympics and the soccer world cups he would understand this?

Bettman needs to be fired!

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I am watching the Eurocup and Copa America. The passion from the spectators is fantastic. How is it that Gary Bettman does not understand that nationalism is driving this passion.

You would think after the past NHL Olympics and the soccer world cups he would understand this?

Yep, I liked how Betman was booed. He is so stupid. There is no way European Championships or FIFA world cup could EVER have some kind of gimmick teams. Just no ****ing way. The atmosphere is so great in real tournaments like soccer tournaments, because people are nationalist, homers, friend helping, non-equal beings to the core.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yep, I liked how Betman was booed. He is so stupid. There is no way European Championships or FIFA world cup could EVER have some kind of gimmick teams. Just no ****ing way. The atmosphere is so great in real tournaments like soccer tournaments, because people are nationalist, homers, friend helping, non-equal beings to the core.

To be fair... FIFA or UEFA are not what the NHL should try to emulate. Bettman should be gone though. Canadians have said this for over 20 years.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Yeah, the NHL wants the best player in the World quitting his national team.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
Yeah, the NHL wants the best player in the World quitting his national team.

Messi will be back. It was the pressure that is too much handle. The fan passion and emotion that provides that pressure is drama for the viewers.

Unlike this Bettman Cup, with fake teams there will be no passion,which leads to no pressure, which leads to no drama and this all leads to no tv ratings.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Ah, so it was Messi he was talking about.

Yeah, he will be back for the WC in 2018, highly doubt he is really retiring from the national team.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Messi will be back. It was the pressure that is too much handle. The fan passion and emotion that provides that pressure is drama for the viewers.

Unlike this Bettman Cup, with fake teams there will be no passion,which leads to no pressure, which leads to no drama and this all leads to no tv ratings.

You mean no passion on the ice, or among fans sitting in the ACC, or among other people?

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You ready to hail Mcdavid for that position already?

Bold call, I am of the opinion he has more to do to prove that yet.

Nope, not McDavid, though he also doesn't get to play for his national team. No Canadian or American can actually play for their national team given that Canada and USA are all placed under arbitrary age limits that not every other country is applicable to. Crosby, Kane, or whoever the best player is (assuming he is a North American I suppose) doesn't get to play for a legitimate national team. Team Canada 24 and over and team USA 24 and over are not the same as team Canada and team USA.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Nope, not McDavid, though he also doesn't get to play for his national team. No Canadian or American can actually play for their national team given that Canada and USA are all placed under arbitrary age limits that not every other country is applicable to. Crosby, Kane, or whoever the best player is (assuming he is a North American I suppose) doesn't get to play for a legitimate national team. Team Canada 24 and over and team USA 24 and over are not the same as team Canada and team USA.

:help: You just can't. be. serious.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
:help: You just can't. be. serious.

Everything there is true. You won't like it because the NHL didn't tell you to think it, but there isn't a real team Canada or team USA in the tournament. It's Canadian 24 and over, USA 24 and over, with the rest put onto another team. An actual team Canada can pick whoever it wants, like Sweden/Russia/Finland/Czech Republic happen to be able to.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Everything there is true. You won't like it because the NHL didn't tell you to think it, but there isn't a real team Canada or team USA in the tournament. It's Canadian 24 and over, USA 24 and over, with the rest put onto another team. An actual team Canada can pick whoever it wants, like Sweden/Russia/Finland/Czech Republic happen to be able to.
Yet the only player canada might of picked is mcdavid and even that isnt a sure thing. Didnt they pass on crosby before? Canada likes to go old in the big tournaments.

If anything this just gives management an excuse if they lose because they couldn't take players they wouldn't of taken anyways.

Maybe the states are more effected but they made questionable roster picks already so who knows.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Fringe teams are also fantastic for the tournament. Half the Europe is rooting for iceland right now, since they are a massive underdog and most teams have been eliminated.

I don't think NHL really understands how these tournaments really work.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

Russia wasn't able to pick whoever they wanted.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Feels so nice to see Canadians get a taste of this Canada Cup ******** Europeans have been fed for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad