World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yet the only player canada might of picked is mcdavid and even that isnt a sure thing. Didnt they pass on crosby before? Canada likes to go old in the big tournaments.

If anything this just gives management an excuse if they lose because they couldn't take players they wouldn't of taken anyways.

Maybe the states are more effected but they made questionable roster picks already so who knows.

Canada probably would have taken McDavid, but you're right that it isn't a certainty. Doesn't change the fact that Canada and USA (who would definitely take several players 23 and under) are over 23 teams who cannot pick any Canadian or American player they want.

Russia wasn't able to pick whoever they wanted.

I'm all for piling on the NHL for this garbage tournament, but that one is more on Voynov for being a *******.

Feels so nice to see Canadians get a taste of this Canada Cup ******** Europeans have been fed for years.

Ah yes, whine away. The tournament is ruined because of the gimmick teams - this is a unique issue that never existed in any supposedly international hockey tournament before. Obviously actually, because the idea is so blatantly stupid.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Ah yes, whine away. The tournament is ruined because of the gimmick teams - this is a unique issue that never existed in any supposedly international hockey tournament before. Obviously actually, because the idea is so blatantly stupid.

I'm not whining. It's just satisfying that this **** show finally flung some of that Canadas way. Europeans have always regarded it as garbage.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not whining. It's just satisfying that this **** show finally flung some of that Canadas way. Europeans have always regarded it as garbage.

So watching the worlds best hockey players play representing their countries in the Canada Cup/World Cup is garbage to you. :facepalm:

We'll see how this tournament with it's gimmick teams plays out but there's no question that up until now, the hockey played in these things has been some of the best hockey ever played. But hey, if you enjoy being salty while others are enjoying hockey, that's up to you. :laugh:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

People here might critizising concept but normal hockey fans are mostly curious if we can beat up the expectation as we are considered as a totall garbage team in NA:) Not saying people will watch it, but this this tourney is not that dismissed here....

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Your complaint doesn't make sense because it wasn't garbage before. Hence, it is whining. It is most certainly garbage now though - no question.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Fringe teams are also fantastic for the tournament. Half the Europe is rooting for iceland right now, since they are a massive underdog and most teams have been eliminated.

I don't think NHL really understands how these tournaments really work.

Oh c'mon now, everyone knows this Euro deal would be better off, and more interesting, if the likes of Iceland, Wales, and a few other teams were turfed in favour of innovative ideas like team "young gunz" and a "best of the rest" team.

Thanks to Iceland this tournament is now down 20+ players from the world's richest and most glamorous league. Anyone who still cares about this tournament now needs to suffer through watching a team that is mostly made up of scrubs trying to scrape together a living by playing in places like the Swedish league or the third tier of England.

I'm being facetious

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Your complaint doesn't make sense because it wasn't garbage before. Hence, it is whining. It is most certainly garbage now though - no question.

I guess it depends on how you would define garbage in this case.
To me it's always been the Disneyworld of hockey. It's plastic and a Canadian prerogative. It's so far away from what an international tournament is all about. Inclusion, level playing field, for the good of the sport, so on and so forth.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To me it's always been the Disneyworld of hockey. It's plastic and a Canadian prerogative. It's so far away from what an international tournament is all about. Inclusion, level playing field, for the good of the sport, so on and so forth.

Inclusion? Level playing field? For the good of the sport? You seem to be lost, are you looking for the Communist Cup thread?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The NHL's tournament has never been a proper world cup and it's evident that they couldn't care less if anyone in Europe watches or not.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The NHL's tournament has never been a proper world cup and it's evident that they couldn't care less if anyone in Europe watches or not.

Whatever "proper world cup" means ...

These tournaments were awesome in the past. The best hockey nations were represented by their best players and the hockey was phenomenal. Not sure what more anyone could ask for but I was happy. :) Don't forget that professionals weren't allowed at the Olympics back then (except for the soviets who technically weren't professionals) so these tournaments were the only best on best hockey played in the world for a long time and I'm thankful that the NHL organized those amazing events. It'll never be as exciting as it was because the best players are almost all in the NHL now so the mystery factor is gone but it could still be pretty good, we'll have to wait and see.

You're right about one thing though (at least as far as me personally is concerned), I don't really care who watches. If you want to watch then watch, if you don't then don't. Makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Whatever "proper world cup" means ...

These tournaments were awesome in the past. The best hockey nations were represented by their best players and the hockey was phenomenal. Not sure what more anyone could ask for but I was happy. :) Don't forget that professionals weren't allowed at the Olympics back then (except for the soviets who technically weren't professionals) so these tournaments were the only best on best hockey played in the world for a long time and I'm thankful that the NHL organized those amazing events. It'll never be as exciting as it was because the best players are almost all in the NHL now so the mystery factor is gone but it could still be pretty good, we'll have to wait and see.

You're right about one thing though (at least as far as me personally is concerned), I don't really care who watches. If you want to watch then watch, if you don't then don't. Makes no difference to me whatsoever.

The NHL not meddling in the player selections, a higher number of teams (actual national teams in case that wasn't clear), the tournament being hosted somewhere else for once and international rules and rink size instead of rules dictated by a league.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

The Canada Cup wasn't perfect but in the 1980's it was the only best-on-best event we had. Nothing else came close. For that reason alone it was an important part of international hockey.

Looking back it was far more credible than the sorry spectacle of amateurs (usually) getting routed by Communist pros at the Olympics.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
The NHL not meddling in the player selections, a higher number of teams (actual national teams in case that wasn't clear), the tournament being hosted somewhere else for once and international rules and rink size instead of rules dictated by a league.

In the NHL's defence it would be hard to remodel the hosting arenas just to comply with IIHF rink sizes.

And the IIHF has had no problems with the Olympics and World Juniors being played on NHL-size ice.

One thing I loved about previous World Cups (in 96 and 04) was that games were played in Europe as well - the only tournament to give six of the teams at least one home game. I thought that was an awesome idea.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Rules and rink size - doesn't make sense to me. Most of the players play in the NHL so why play on a different size rink with different rules?

Hosted elsewhere - it's the NHL's tournament, understandable they want it to be played in NA.

Your other complaints - nobody seems to like these gimmick teams much so that's probably a one time thing.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
Oh c'mon now, everyone knows this Euro deal would be better off, and more interesting, if the likes of Iceland, Wales, and a few other teams were turfed in favour of innovative ideas like team "young gunz" and a "best of the rest" team.

Thanks to Iceland this tournament is now down 20+ players from the world's richest and most glamorous league. Anyone who still cares about this tournament now needs to suffer through watching a team that is mostly made up of scrubs trying to scrape together a living by playing in places like the Swedish league or the third tier of England.

I'm being facetious

I completely disagree with this comment. People watch sports for all different reasons. And one reason among many is seeing the underdog have a chance. And every once in a while a game like Iceland v England happens and it is a special moment. I will now be watching and rooting for Iceland on Sunday where if England had won I would not even had known the game was going to be on Sunday.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Rules and rink size - doesn't make sense to me. Most of the players play in the NHL so why play on a different size rink with different rules?

Hosted elsewhere - it's the NHL's tournament, understandable they want it to be played in NA.

Your other complaints - nobody seems to like these gimmick teams much so that's probably a one time thing.

Exactly, it's the NHL's tournament for North American audience and you as a North American like it.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Don't forget that professionals weren't allowed at the Olympics back then (except for the soviets who technically weren't professionals) so these tournaments were the only best on best hockey played in the world for a long time and I'm thankful that the NHL organized those amazing events.

The NHL actually had very little to do with getting the CC off the ground. If anything they worked against it... But ya, I don't see much point in complaining about the CC when at the time an alternative didn't exist.

I completely disagree with this comment. People watch sports for all different reasons. And one reason among many is seeing the underdog have a chance. And every once in a while a game like Iceland v England happens and it is a special moment. I will now be watching and rooting for Iceland on Sunday where if England had won I would not even had known the game was going to be on Sunday.

Read my post a little more carefully.:)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Agree 100%, these underdog stories are awesome.

Exactly, it's the NHL's tournament for North American audience and you as a North American like it.

I'm sure there will be some people outside of NA watching though the time difference will hurt those numbers. Not sure what you're whining about though, most hockey fans are in NA, the best players play here, these are the rinks they play on etc. expecting for them to change everything from rules to rink-size because you want it that way is nothing but arrogance. You have your WHC and the Olympics where you have everything just the way you like it so be happy. :)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The NHL actually had very little to do with getting the CC off the ground. If anything they worked against it... But ya, I don't see much point in complaining about the CC when at the time a better alternative didn't exist.

Read my post a little more carefully.:)

This is news to me. Of course it was 1976 so it's possible I've forgotten but I'm skeptical of this TBH. If you can provide a link or two to back this up I'll happily read it though.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
This is news to me. Of course it was 1976 so it's possible I've forgotten but I'm skeptical of this TBH. If you can provide a link or two to back this up I'll happily read it though.

From Wikipedia (and sourced)

It appears Eagleson and the various National Feds, along with the IIHF, did the heavy lifting...

It was during the 1974 Summit Series that National Hockey League Players Association (NHLPA) executive-director Alan Eagleson began negotiations with Soviet and European authorities to create such a tournament.[6] The negotiations, which grew to include the IIHF and Hockey Canada and lasted over two years, resulted in numerous agreements: Canada would return to international competition in 1977, the World Championships moved to an open format that allowed professionals to play and club teams of the Soviet League would tour North America and face NHL teams in what became the Super Series. The key agreement was the creation of the Canada Cup, to be held in 1976.[7]

The NHL's "role" seems to be as follows...

Having gained international approval, Eagleson then convinced the NHLPA's players to support the tournament with promises of increased pension contributions resulting from their participation. The NHL's owners supported the concept after agreeing that half of the proceeds from the games would go to them. Some teams remained uneasy, however. The Philadelphia Flyers were afraid their players might suffer injuries in the tournament and vowed that no player from their roster would be permitted to play. They were convinced to back down on their threats after being promised two games would be played in Philadelphia with the Flyers receiving their share of the revenue.[7] Though the tournament was held in September so as not to interfere with the NHL season, league president Clarence Campbell remained skeptical of the tournament's viability, calling it "wasteful".[8]

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'm sure there will be some people outside of NA watching though the time difference will hurt those numbers. Not sure what you're whining about though, most hockey fans are in NA, the best players play here, these are the rinks they play on etc. expecting for them to change everything from rules to rink-size because you want it that way is nothing but arrogance. You have your WHC and the Olympics where you have everything just the way you like it so be happy. :)

You were wondering what more could anyone ask for and I provided you with an answer, I guess I didn't realize that only North American opinions matter. The WHC is an entirely different kind of event and the best-on-best Olympics might become a thing of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad