World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
This sums up the nhl. Jack Todd - HabsInsideOut,

''Hockey at its highest level is now run by a couple of dozen American billionaires and a New York lawyer. Even if they vote as a bloc, the seven Canadian teams have virtually no power other than their contribution to the bottom line: without Canadian fans to fill the arenas and that foolish mega-deal with Rogers to prop it up, the salary cap might be due for a precipitous drop, but with less than a quarter of the teams based in Canada, this country’s economic clout is limited.

The trend is inescapable. The NHL in the spring of 2016 has never been more American, and the addition of an expansion team in the U.S. will erode our influence even more, carrying on a process that began with the move of the league’s head office from Montreal to New York in 1989.

The fact that the league is more American than Canadian is not entirely new. Even in Howe’s glory days, the Original Six was two-thirds American. But a Canadian was commissioner, the players and coaches were almost all Canadian and there was a nationally broadcast game every Saturday night on radio or television.

No more. Saturday night hockey, one of the few cultural institutions that unites this sprawling nation from Newfoundland to Nanaimo, is now subject to the whim of executives in the offices of the NHL and NBC in New York.''

Another reason I hate the nhl and anything it's associated with. It's completely lost the connection with Canadians. How the hell can any Canadian connect to this Team Canada and say, yes they represent us.

It's so bloody fake, anything the nhl is associated with is purely done for nothing but it's own purposes . It's so fake, I feel sorry for people who buy into this propaganda and will watch this tournament.

I for one hope Canada loses all their games, and interest from the minority of people that actually do watch will all stop completely. Message needs to be sent. Who the hell are they to tell Canadians this can replace the Olympics. I love when that idiot says,''we disappear from the map completely.''

WHAT BLOODY WORLD DO YOU LIVE IN. Nearly all Canadians care for every game at the Olympics. An audience no nhl game in history will ever reach.

Unfortunately people here don't do anything, they sit on their ***** and no one rebels. Europeans are good at this, if for examples prices are to high like they are in the nhl, mass protests, here the people have no power. Just listen to what a bunch suits and a lawyer decide and accept it like pawns ready to be used.

Don't know what happen, but would be nice if Russia withdrew from this Voynov thing.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

''Hockey at its highest level is now run by a couple of dozen American billionaires and a New York lawyer. Even if they vote as a bloc, the seven Canadian teams have virtually no power other than their contribution to the bottom line: without Canadian fans to fill the arenas and that foolish mega-deal with Rogers to prop it up, the salary cap might be due for a precipitous drop, but with less than a quarter of the teams based in Canada, this country’s economic clout is limited.

The trend is inescapable. The NHL in the spring of 2016 has never been more American, and the addition of an expansion team in the U.S. will erode our influence even more, carrying on a process that began with the move of the league’s head office from Montreal to New York in 1989.

The fact that the league is more American than Canadian is not entirely new. Even in Howe’s glory days, the Original Six was two-thirds American. But a Canadian was commissioner, the players and coaches were almost all Canadian and there was a nationally broadcast game every Saturday night on radio or television.

No more. Saturday night hockey, one of the few cultural institutions that unites this sprawling nation from Newfoundland to Nanaimo, is now subject to the whim of executives in the offices of the NHL and NBC in New York.''

Another reason I hate the nhl and anything it's associated with. It's completely lost the connection with Canadians. How the hell can any Canadian connect to this Team Canada and say, yes they represent us.

It's so bloody fake, anything the nhl is associated with is purely done for nothing but it's own purposes . It's so fake, I feel sorry for people who buy into this propaganda and will watch this tournament.

I for one hope Canada loses all their games, and interest from the minority of people that actually do watch will all stop completely. Message needs to be sent. Who the hell are they to tell Canadians this can replace the Olympics. I love when that idiot says,''we disappear from the map completely.''

WHAT BLOODY WORLD DO YOU LIVE IN. Nearly all Canadians care for every game at the Olympics. An audience no nhl game in history will ever reach.

Unfortunately people here don't do anything, they sit on their ***** and no one rebels. Europeans are good at this, if for examples prices are to high like they are in the nhl, mass protests, here the people have no power. Just listen to what a bunch suits and a lawyer decide and accept it like pawns ready to be used.

Don't know what happen, but would be nice if Russia withdrew from this Voynov thing.

Jack Todd is the voice of Canada?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Hockey Canada was in favour of this tournament and this format. The issue isn't that the NHl is run by Americans.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Hockey Canada was in favour of this tournament and this format. The issue isn't that the NHl is run by Americans.

Hockey Canada long ago bought into the NHL's concept of parity is good for business, parity = profit. I'm not surprised at all that Hockey Canada would welcome the gimmicks. I'm not sure what the financial incentive is for either Hockey Canada/USAH to go along with the gimmicks, if any, but from HC's perspective, it does provide an evolution tool for 10-13 U24 players for future real tournaments. Will there be real tournaments in the future is the only question that remains. It doesn't look like it.

If this tournament is a non-event snooze fest...which I suspect it will be...I'll be dancing a jig on my deck while I grill up some steaks and cheer on the Blue Jays. Go Jays.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hockey Canada long ago bought into the NHL's concept of parity is good for business, parity = profit. I'm not surprised at all that Hockey Canada would welcome the gimmicks. I'm not sure what the financial incentive is for either Hockey Canada/USAH to go along with the gimmicks, if any, but from HC's perspective, it does provide an evolution tool for 10-13 U24 players for future real tournaments. Will there be real tournaments in the future is the only question that remains. It doesn't look like it.

Just a guess, but I suspect three things: first, Renney is a bit too close to the NHL's interests for now, and thus actually wanted the tournament to feature more "star" players and get more exposure. That shouldn't be a concern of Hockey Canada though. Second, Hockey Canada is too arrogant and assumes that its entry will win without any 23 or under players. Now, to be fair, probably only McDavid would make the team. The people at Hockey Canada are setting themselves up for a big headache if Canada loses, because Canadians never accept losing a big tournament, and honestly whether it makes a difference or not Canadians will rip them for excluding the young players. Third, as you say they are using it as essentially a free evaluation tool. The reward (getting a look at some young guys) is obviously far smaller than the risk (Canada losing after Hockey Canada willingly handicapped itself) though.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

So, you are cranky because the league is not Canadian-dominant? Ironic because you seem very concerned with growing the game and bringing the game to new countries and improving the talent coming out of countries not known for their hockey prowess. Are you saying you want the NHL to go back to being 90% Canadian players? Are you pi$$ed off that the US has greatly improved over the last 50 years and is now producing a greater percentage of NHL talent? Isn't that good for the game, and the growth of the game? Would you prefer Putin re-builds the Berlin Wall and the Eastern Bloc re-unites and prevents it's players from coming here?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
So, you are cranky because the league is not Canadian-dominant? Ironic because you seem very concerned with growing the game and bringing the game to new countries and improving the talent coming out of countries not known for their hockey prowess. Are you saying you want the NHL to go back to being 90% Canadian players? Are you pi$$ed off that the US has greatly improved over the last 50 years and is now producing a greater percentage of NHL talent? Isn't that good for the game, and the growth of the game? Would you prefer Putin re-builds the Berlin Wall and the Eastern Bloc re-unites and prevents it's players from coming here?

As a european I am not that much involved in these issues, but as I read it, some billionaires try to dictate on stage which is not their business imo, i.e. int. stage. Fact that league full of canadian players with prevailing canadian fan base is run by us guys and mostly in US just confirms that money talks, but there should be some boundary. For example in WC case, when you look at this concept and bearing in mind they have an intention to replace olympics, they basically cut off all european fans. There is nothing on this tournament which has some relation to european hockey culture. They simply dont count with european fans. With those two gimmicks it is even too much for canadians. This WC format is like it was decided in Walt Disney or in Las Vegas. It is too far from hockey of itself.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Here's a company who is not boycotting the World Cup. Even looking to $ on the tourney. For those who do not know, McFarlane did not renew their license to continue making NHL figures, and Import Dragons has taken over. I have some McFarlanes, so far not impressed with what Import Dragons has put out, but it is a start:

http://www.clarktoys.com/imdrwocupofh.html

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
As a european I am not that much involved in these issues, but as I read it, some billionaires try to dictate on stage which is not their business imo, i.e. int. stage. Fact that league full of canadian players with prevailing canadian fan base is run by us guys and mostly in US just confirms that money talks, but there should be some boundary. For example in WC case, when you look at this concept and bearing in mind they have an intention to replace olympics, they basically cut off all european fans. There is nothing on this tournament which has some relation to european hockey culture. They simply dont count with european fans. With those two gimmicks it is even too much for canadians. This WC format is like it was decided in Walt Disney or in Las Vegas. It is too far from hockey of itself.

Money talks? Really? That is not ground-breaking news.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Here's a company who is not boycotting the World Cup. Even looking to $ on the tourney. For those who do not know, McFarlane did not renew their license to continue making NHL figures, and Import Dragons has taken over. I have some McFarlanes, so far not impressed with what Import Dragons has put out, but it is a start:

http://www.clarktoys.com/imdrwocupofh.html

"In the fall of 2016, the hockey world will descend on Toronto for an epic two-week battle for hockey supremacy. The 2016 edition of the World Cup of Hockey will be the most competitive hockey tournament ever played, featuring eight teams filled with the most elite NHL athletes. Unlike other Nation vs Nation formats, the 2016 World Cup of Hockey will be the first to feature near total participation by NHL players."

It's nice that the associates at least can be more open about what's it all about even if the organisator has to be a bit sly with it.

Also, Finland can not into action figure. :/

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
"In the fall of 2016, the hockey world will descend on Toronto for an epic two-week battle for hockey supremacy. The 2016 edition of the World Cup of Hockey will be the most competitive hockey tournament ever played, featuring eight teams filled with the most elite NHL athletes. Unlike other Nation vs Nation formats, the 2016 World Cup of Hockey will be the first to feature near total participation by NHL players."

That's too funny. First off given that this isn't a "nation vs nation" format, and second, if The Young Gunz or Euro Leftovers win... who exactly is "supreme"?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That's too funny. First off given that this isn't a "nation vs nation" format, and second, if The Young Gunz or Euro Leftovers win... who exactly is "supreme"?

I don't know about you guys but as the only option left for me is to knit a white Finnish jersey with 29 on a He-Man action figure and pretend it's Laine and arm him with the included battle-axe I think that's pretty set where I'm concerned.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

It's nice that the associates at least can be more open about what's it all about even if the organisator has to be a bit sly with it.

Also, Finland can not into action figure. :/

This is like when the cable company says they have an exciting new announcement about raising your monthly rate.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The World Cup will be a big success and everyone here doubting that will be really surprised.

Define big success? The ratings in the US will be minuscule. They won't even have local ratings to drive up the already paltry mid season NHL ratings. They'll probably sell out a lot of games as exorbitant prices due to it being in Toronto. Canadians will probably watch. Some really hardcore Europeans will stay up to 4am to watch Finland and Russia, but I doubt hockey fans in Slovakia or Switzerland are really excited to get up and Cheer on Team Europe (ironically using a flag that Switzerland isn't even apart of, or Norway).

So you give me the parameters for success because there's no way this beats the IIHF Worlds ratings in Europe. There's no way it does anything more than a midseason NHL game in the states. If the final tops a million viewers I'd be shocked. Doubtful that even a final with Team Canada in it is going to top the U20s.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Here's the way it should have been...:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
Czechoslovakia
Scandinavia(Denmark, Sweden, Norway)
Baltics( including Finland)
Former USSR
North America
Remainder of Europe

Fair right???:naughty::naughty:

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005

If this is what you think about this tournament what do you think the Olympics are, if not "purely done for nothing but it's [sic] own purposes", "so fake", or "propaganda"?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Because the NHL is on record as saying that if this tournament is successful, NHL participation in the Olympics isn't needed. Because seeing Canada and USA eliminated early, after having unfair age restrictions placed on them, drives home how idiotic the Young Gunz is. Because I really don't care about the results of the Canadian over 23 team, since it isn't even a legitimate team Canada. It's pretty obvious.
only player canada would maybe take is mcdavid. But would you be okay with it if the states and Canada could pick first out of any aged player and then have team north America pick after?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Here's the way it should have been...:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
Czechoslovakia
Scandinavia(Denmark, Sweden, Norway)
Baltics( including Finland)
Former USSR
North America
Remainder of Europe

Fair right???:naughty::naughty:

I'd only agree to play with Estonia perhaps. There is no bond to further baltic countries.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'd only agree to play with Estonia perhaps. There is no bond to further baltic countries.

Not a single Estonian would make the team anyway. Neither would any Latvian or Lithuanian though so it would be no different to Team Finland.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
only player canada would maybe take is mcdavid. But would you be okay with it if the states and Canada could pick first out of any aged player and then have team north America pick after?

No, I would still object to non-national teams being in a supposedly international tournament. It would be slightly better though, since then at least the Canadian and American teams would be legitimate national teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad