World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not that anything is being organized by any means, but any other fans like me just not going to watch because of the stupid North America/Europe idea?

I'll skip out because it's not on free tv and I might be working then so I can't stay up late either (if I have unspent vacation days, I'm using them during the Olympics).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Not that anything is being organized by any means, but any other fans like me just not going to watch because of the stupid North America/Europe idea?

I'm not going to watch. I'm not going to support something so blatantly flawed, and it would be quite disingenuous to support it even passively after so many complaints. The only factor that holds interest is seeing who is selected to the Canadian team.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I'll probably stream a game or two if I'm bored but I won't watch on espn so as not to contribute to tv ratings. ESPN isn't necessarily on my good side either so...and I'm not a merchandise buying guy to begin with, if someone drops the team NA jersey, well, correction if someone drops one of the good jerseys I might take it home and wash it? Then goodwill of course help a good cause.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not going to watch. I'm not going to support something so blatantly flawed, and it would be quite disingenuous to support it even passively after so many complaints. The only factor that holds interest is seeing who is selected to the Canadian team.
Pretty much this. I'm curious about the composition of the Finnish team, going to treat it as a 2016 "fantasy" roster, but not gonna watch a second of the actual event.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i just now focus my hockey attention towards the wc. give me please a little update on "stupid North America/Europe idea"

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'll treat the World Cup similarly to the non-best-on-best IIHF World Hockey Championships. I'll watch a few games for Canada (maybe the young NA players to follow McDavid), but not get too wrapped up in the result. This event is just designed to cater to NA hockey fans like the IIHF WHC is designed to attract European ones.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I'll still watch a game or two simply because I like my hockey, but I won't be sitting on the edge of my seat in suspense, or particularly care who wins (although natural I hope Canada does), and I definitely won't spend a dime on tickets. It's a NHL marketing gimmick, not a true international tournament of any relevance.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Yea, why would I want to watch the best players in the world play hockey vs each other with medals on the line? Why would any hockey fan want to do that?

You guys are nuts, this tournament is going to be amazing. Looking forward to watching the WC grow and grow over the years until it replaces the Olympics in importance in regards to hockey...similar to what has happened in soccer.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yea, why would I want to watch the best players in the world play hockey vs each other with medals on the line? Why would any hockey fan want to do that?

You guys are nuts, this tournament is going to be amazing. Looking forward to watching the WC grow and grow over the years until it replaces the Olympics in importance in regards to hockey...similar to what has happened in soccer.

The players will be better than what the IIHF championships feature, but the gimmick teams were a mistake, IMO. If they let a European nation host next time and field 10-12 national teams, then the IOC may get worried.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I definitely will not be watching. Supporting this tournament in any way is a slight contribution to the destruction of international hockey.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I definitely will not be watching. Supporting this tournament in any way is a slight contribution to the destruction of international hockey.

The IOC is already destroying international hockey. Unless they are honest about their proposed reforms (which is very unlikely), good luck watching the Winter Olympics in a location outside of corrupt regimes willing to meet their long list of greedy demands.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

There are no medals. If you are interested in seeing the best players play each other on random teams for a trophy, then I have good news for you - the NHL exists, and is built around the very same concept.

Seems unlikely. I agree that the World Cup does have potential to surpass the Olympic tournament, it will never happen with gimmick teams involved. Additionally, rightly or wrongly I doubt that European fans in large numbers will regard the tournament highly unless it is put on by the IIHF. From posts on here it seems that they really do care about what organizing body is behind a tournament.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

I regard this event as a try-out for the real thing in 2018 (if the NHL doesn't ruin that too by withdrawing) so I might catch a Canada game or two.

But I will buy no merchandise, attend no games, and will be hoping for the two joke teams to be comprehensively destroyed on the ice so that this horror show never again afflicts the international game.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm debating this right now. I will be in Toronto for the first week of the tournament. Already thinking about the Canada vs Czech game.
Don't like the setup of the tournament and I hate the idea of giving my money to the NHL. However, when am I going to have the opportunity to see Team Canada again?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I'm debating this right now. I will be in Toronto for the first week of the tournament. Already thinking about the Canada vs Czech game.
Don't like the setup of the tournament and I hate the idea of giving my money to the NHL. However, when am I going to have the opportunity to see Team Canada again?
Even if you went you could plan around buying concessions or merchandise. Wear an old team Canada jersey, eat at a restaurant before or after so you won't need to buy concessions, get beer at the restaurant, don't buy overpriced gift shop items, have a nice time and only pay for the ticket, it's economic too.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I refuse to stream,watch,purchase memorabilia or any way support this farce of a tournament. I wobt care for the 2020 edition either. The pinnacle of international hockey is the Olympics.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
The tourney is a money grab, and it is a biased tourney too, as it always has been.

There are two new ingredients however. Firstly the ridiculous 'Europe' and 'North America' teams. This change has led to further loss of credibility for the tournament, pulling the whole thing strongly towards the childish farce known as the NHL All Star event. Secondly, NHL has taken a negative stance towards best-on-best Olympics, preferring instead to pump the tires of this joke tourney of their own.

Results: complete loss of interest in this specific tourney and clear loss of interest in the sport in general. I haven't bought any NHL products ever since NHL started talking about shunning the Olympics. I have also ended my subscription to watch NHL games.

I ain't a blind lemming.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
IMO, the perfect international scenario would be taking the top 6 countries (CAN, USA, FIN, SWE, RUS, CZE), and having maybe a 10 game season where each team plays each other 2 times. Use the 3-2-1 point system for the 10 game season. Top 4 teams make the playoffs, and you have best 2 out of 3 series for the Semi Finals, and a best of 5 for the Final.

Granted, I know this would never happen because it would take too long. But it would by my dream scenario.

One and done tournaments leaves a lot to be desired imo.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I'm certainly not going to make any effort to purposely avoid it, but I doubt I will make much effort to really follow it either.

Sometimes on a lazy weekend morning while the IIHF WC is running I will watch a game. While watching I really don't care who wins and I usually find myself thinking it's too bad hockey doesn't have a real World Championship/Cup. I imagine I will feel the same way while watching a WCup game.

Seems unlikely. I agree that the World Cup does have potential to surpass the Olympic tournament, it will never happen with gimmick teams involved. Additionally, rightly or wrongly I doubt that European fans in large numbers will regard the tournament highly unless it is put on by the IIHF. From posts on here it seems that they really do care about what organizing body is behind a tournament.

IMHO it's hard to blame European fans for feeling that way given how the NHL (and PA) have managed the WCup up to this point. I could be wrong, but I think most European fans would get over who actually runs the tournament if the NHL could prove they are capable of running a WCup that actually resembles a WCup.

-Hold it at regular intervals
-Some type of qualifying system and probably expand the field a bit
-Entire tournament and/or later stages not always held in the same country
-Perhaps earmark some of the revenue/profit back for the national feds to use for player/infrastructure development.

It's too bad... Right now we have the WC that has the structure but not (all) the players and the WCup that has the players but not the structure, and what we are stuck with is a bunch of flawed tournaments.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm certainly not going to make any effort to purposely avoid it, but I doubt I will make much effort to really follow it either.

Sometimes on a lazy weekend morning while the IIHF WC is running I will watch a game. While watching I really don't care who wins and I usually find myself thinking it's too bad hockey doesn't have a real World Championship/Cup. I imagine I will feel the same way while watching a WCup game.

IMHO it's hard to blame European fans for feeling that way given how the NHL (and PA) have managed the WCup up to this point. I could be wrong, but I think most European fans would get over who actually runs the tournament if the NHL could prove they are capable of running a WCup that actually resembles a WCup.

-Hold it at regular intervals
-Some type of qualifying system and probably expand the field a bit
-Entire tournament and/or later stages not always held in the same country
-Perhaps earmark some of the revenue/profit back for the national feds to use for player/infrastructure development.

It's too bad... Right now we have the WC that has the structure but not (all) the players and the WCup that has the players but not the structure, and what we are stuck with is a bunch of flawed tournaments.

The iihf and the olympics don't share the revenues so why should the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad