Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Haven't noticed it and don't care. The people that dislike it are the reason why the Penguin's crowds are too quiet.

It's a sporting event, you're supposed to make noise (or at least tolerate others making noise).

No. Nine. Neit. Don't woo 'to just make noise', it does NOTHING for the team. Start a chant, clap and/or stomp your feet but the wooing brings nothing to the table.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Haven't noticed it and don't care. The people that dislike it are the reason why the Penguin's crowds are too quiet.

It's a sporting event, you're supposed to make noise (or at least tolerate others making noise).

No, Arenas like Montreal, Winnipeg etc. are loud without needing lame gimmicky 'wooing'. The whole Consol Energy Centre is dead isn't changed by bursts of 'wooing'. Not all noise is good noise or indicative of a lively crowd (and Id say wooing is the exact opposite).

And I don't really buy that the CEC crowd is as dead as they are made out to be. But the wooing is annoying, its not original and is shared by a bunch of other fanbases in the NHL in just as annoying fashion, so its not even unique to the Pens in the NHL.

It's a stupid fad that's already gone on too long.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Isn't it kind of original? I never really saw this happen in a sporting event. Obviously happens in wrestling, but in hockey? Not that i've seen.

I'm not saying it's a good chant, but if my memory was right from my first post in this thread, it started when there wasn't much to cheer about.
its not even unique to the Penguins in the NHL...

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I hope people start humming the Fandango theme to replace it. That'd be cool.

No, Arenas like Montreal, Winnipeg etc. are loud without needing lame gimmicky 'wooing'. The whole Consol Energy Centre is dead isn't changed by bursts of 'wooing'. Not all noise is good noise or indicative of a lively crowd (and Id say wooing is the exact opposite).

And I don't really buy that the CEC crowd is as dead as they are made out to be. But the wooing is annoying, its not original and is shared by a bunch of other fanbases in the NHL in just as annoying fashion, so its not even unique to the Pens in the NHL.

It's a stupid fad that's already gone on too long.

its not even unique to the Penguins in the NHL...

Boom! I'd buy you two a beer if I could. I've never been one to chant or really cheer unless it's a goal, save, hit or after a fight. It's just how I am, the 'Let's Go Pens' chants aren't my thing, can't explain it but I'm more zoned into the game at the time. BUT if someone near me wants to chant that the entire game, go for it, I wish you the best and appreciate your fandom. But chanting vs the wooing are apples to oranges.

Glad this was made a topic ha ha, something to move my day along.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hope people start humming the Fandango theme to replace it. That'd be cool.

Absolutely. Or saying Faaaaaaaan daaaaaaaaan goooooooooo when we score. :laugh:

It's almost hypocritical to love screaming "Kennnnneeeeddddyyyy" after scoring a goal by hate#48 or enjoying Hulk Hogan saying Malkomaniacs after Geno scores and hating the "Woo'ing". :laugh:

I am just shocked people can actually care more than saying "yeah... it's annoying but oh well"

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
instead of wooing we all need to start yelling,

"CHIP CHOPPED, *****ES!!!" every 30 seconds

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Absolutely. Or saying Faaaaaaaan daaaaaaaaan goooooooooo when we score. :laugh:

It's almost hypocritical to love screaming "Kennnnneeeeddddyyyy" after scoring a goal by hate#48 or enjoying Hulk Hogan saying Malkomaniacs after Geno scores and hating the "Woo'ing". :laugh:

I am just shocked people can actually care more than saying "yeah... it's annoying but oh well"

Those have some significance. "Wooooo'ing" doesn't.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
instead of wooing we all need to start yelling,

"CHIP CHOPPED, *****ES!!!" every 30 seconds

chip-chopped-ham_o_GIFSoupcom_zpsb12ac3fc.gif

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
I'd be willing to bet this comes down to an age gap thing. If you have any kind of maturity, you probably hate the wooo'ing. I know I hate it. It adds nothing and doesn't even sound cool. Sounds pretty amateurish if you ask me. But, if you are young and want to be "cool", you do it to impress your friends. I can't remember which post game or Pens related but they asked a player and he said they don't even know why it's done and it's annoying.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It's the ric flair "woooo" It is used by Marc Madden a lot on the radio and has been for years now. Several of my friends started doing it during sports events and just in conversation about five or six years ago rather regularly. It is very annoying, but widespread now. I think it is very safe to say we should blame Madden for this... and yes, I have caught myself doing it a time or two... its just easy to get caught up in... :/

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, ya see... it being a pro wrestling/Mark Madden/Pensblog thing is what has me bugged.

I'm all about making noise at games but I would prefer it to not be in reference to three incredibly lame things.

That being said... paying customers and all that. So whatever.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The "wooooooo" chant needs to **** off and die. This isn't the WWE.

With the talent we have, we shouldn't have to resort to such gimmicky, out-of-place nonsense.

Gimme a "Geno!!!! Geno!!! Geno!!!" "Fluery!!!!!" or an "MVP" chant anyday.

Hell even a current chant of "Stanley Cup!!!! Stanley Cup!!!!" would be better than that garbage.

johnniewalker

Dec 14, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
It's awful. The reason why it is awful is because there is a clear correlation between it happening and the Penguins winning and it being late in the game. Given this, it means that it's the crowd rubbing the impending loss into the visiting team's players and fans.

I was taught by my father the concept of "acting like you've been there before," and shouting an outdated professional wrestling meme from 20 years ago repeatedly in the waning moments of a winning game is definitely not acting like you've been there before. It's acting like a bunch of entitled bandwagon fans. Worse, it illustrates what a 20-years-behind-the-times town this is. The fact that it started in the last few years since around the time of the cup win makes it almost symbolic of Penguin fan entitlement and bandwagoning.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's awful. The reason why it is awful is because there is a clear correlation between it happening and the Penguins winning and it being late in the game. Given this, it means that it's the crowd rubbing the impending loss into the visiting team's players and fans.

I was taught by my father the concept of "acting like you've been there before," and shouting an outdated professional wrestling meme from 20 years ago repeatedly in the waning moments of a winning game is definitely not acting like you've been there before. It's acting like a bunch of entitled bandwagon fans. Worse, it illustrates what a 20-years-behind-the-times town this is. The fact that it started in the last few years since around the time of the cup win makes it almost symbolic of Penguin fan entitlement and bandwagoning.

Nailed it.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

:handclap: Well said good sir, well said.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The Bruins PA announcer does that after every goal call. :laugh:

It is pretty stupid to make a that into a regular "chant" IMO, but people paid good money to be there. Let them have their fun and make some racket.

I'm not sure what Pittsburgh's fascination with wrestling culture is, but it be what it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad