Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:laugh: It's "Wooooo'ing" and here is my take on it:

I remember going to the X-Gen games and nobody would be in the crowd. At the end - people would just scream to hear the echo. I don't know if this is where or why it started, but it's the first time I remember it. I've been going to games since 1989 as a 4 year old and cannot ever remember hearing it once.

It's also the ole Ric Flair Wooooooooooo!

And don't kill me - I don't mind it like others do. Maybe because i'm a wrestling fan or I don't believe fans have to have specific cheers.

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
I'm glad Cole changed the title, I was going to point that out.

In my opinion, it's incredibly annoying. It's not cheering on the team, it's just making noise to make yourself heard, and when someone does it in your ear it's pretty annoying. But I guess I'm just an old fogie in my mid 20s :laugh:

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
tumblr_mk6gn2UXSr1qgx0k4o1_500.gif

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
It's really horrific. Anyone who routinely utters such a noise is bad, and should feel bad.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I never minded it at games. It beats total silence or the couple that sat behind me at the last game that talked about remodeling their home the ENTIRE game.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I was pointing out to my gf last night how much I can't stand it. We could hear it over the television broadcast. Just another reason not to attend home games.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was pointing out to my gf last night how much I can't stand it. We could hear it over the television broadcast. Just another reason not to attend home games.

I've always wondered how people think it's THAT bad. It's legit only in the last 5 minutes. You would not go to a game because someone on the other part of the stadium says "woo"? Seriously? :laugh:

How do people get this bent out of shape over such a small thing?

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I actually dont mind it.. I think it's fun that our fans have a "thing" at games.. however, they were doing it when we were tied last night, and it's usually done when we've blown the team out.. or are on the verge of winning a big game..

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
Meh. Im with Cole who cares? People ***** incessantly that the crowd is quiet then ***** incessantly when people make noise.

HF is just everyones favorite place to ***** I guess.

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
Montreal fans thought that the wooing was the taunting of P.K. Subban after the fight with Morrow...lol

It gets annoying when flipping over to the Pirates game during the intermissions and hearing that there too.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I've always wondered how people think it's THAT bad. It's legit only in the last 5 minutes. You would not go to a game because someone on the other part of the stadium says "woo"? Seriously? :laugh:

How do people get this bent out of shape over such a small thing?

It definitely has occurred before the 5-minute mark. To answer your question though, yes, it does factor into me not going to the game. I can't stand it. Think Kurt Angle when he blew up over the fans chanting "you suck".

Among other things, it's totally disrespectful. It broke out early in the 3rd a couple seasons ago when we thumped Phoenix to the tune of 6-1 (or equivalent). It's no fun losing a game like that, but to have to listen to the idiot fans rub it in like that was in very poor taste. I was embarrassed to be a Pens fan that evening.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I actually dont mind it.. I think it's fun that our fans have a "thing" at games.. however, they were doing it when we were tied last night, and it's usually done when we've blown the team out.. or are on the verge of winning a big game..

Maybe if it was original. Instead it's not and just makes the game extremely annoying to other spectators, both there and on TV

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not to change this to a wrestling thing - but Angle was a heel and actually made the crowd chant "You Suck" by being fantastic at his job. Then he sold it as he really hated it, even if it was true, and turned out he was one of the best heels in wrestling. That does not go w/ us "Woo'ing"

It doesn't even happen every game. Like others say - it's when we blow someone out or have more than a 2 goal lead late in the 3rd.

I respect your opinion, but to actually make you stay home - that's a bit ridiculous. But I'll more than happily take that seat and fill it. :)

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Maybe if it was original. Instead it's not and just makes the game extremely annoying to other spectators, both there and on TV

Isn't it kind of original? I never really saw this happen in a sporting event. Obviously happens in wrestling, but in hockey? Not that i've seen.

I'm not saying it's a good chant, but if my memory was right from my first post in this thread, it started when there wasn't much to cheer about.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Meh. Im with Cole who cares? People ***** incessantly that the crowd is quiet then ***** incessantly when people make noise.

HF is just everyones favorite place to ***** I guess.

For me it's not a big deal at first but then when it starts to die down ONE person does it and it just starts it all over again because......I dunno people just can't bear for it to die down and are way too impressionable? Also like someone else mentioned: you probably haven't had someone doing it directly behind you if you don't think it's annoying.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Haven't noticed it and don't care. The people that dislike it are the reason why the Penguin's crowds are too quiet.

It's a sporting event, you're supposed to make noise (or at least tolerate others making noise).

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I.HATE.THE.WOOING! I thank god that I live in a world/country where this is a major hate for me, I realize that, but man is that annoying. I said something on my FB last night and everyone but a buddy of mine agreed with me (well save a Flyers fan friend who just 'Woooed' but I liked it) saying that 'its something i should ignore and not let ruin my entertainment.' Well that's too bad bc it does ruin my entertainment.

It has ZERO place here. Ric Flair isn't from Pittsburgh, if this was Carolina ok. If some Penguin in the past would have wooed...ok, say Talbot instead of the 'shhhh' woulda said 'woo' ok fine. But there is NO REASON for it. It's not just the last 5 minutes of the game either, it's random times when the idiots who do it want to be cute/funny/entertain themselves/try to get on camera. The wooers are the dregs of society. I'd be willing to wager 95% are you casual yinzer fans who are there bc someone in their family has tickets and MTV canceled that hick WV show.

I responded to my friend who said I should ignore with the scenario should I be allowed to go to games, sit behind a wooer and punch them in the back of the head everytime they woo? If they complain why can't they just ignore it and not let it ruin their entertainment?

STOP THE WOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad