Olympics: Women's Tournament

emb24*

That was the second best hit I've seen from both mens and womens Olympic hockey. That was huge!!

lol jillian Apps with the hit and no penalty...

5-0 ...kudos to the finns who played a disciplined defensive game and their cute goalie who played a great game and stopped like 5 breakaways

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
Womens hockey took a step back this year, and it's going to be a tough road ahead for the sport. World championships aren't as visible as the olympics and the Canada/USA programs have to take a long look at how to handle the situation for self-preservation reasons.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
I'm all for women playing hockey, but since the overall quality and competitiveness is so ridiculously low, it shouldn't be in the olympics because of political correctness. Let them in after X years when the sport has enough quality and competitiveness to be enjoyed by anyone but the players family members.

Thats the thing though it will seriously hinder the growth if they take it out. The Olympics is one of if not the only time Womens hockey gets serious coverage.

emb24*

Thats the thing though it will seriously hinder the growth if they take it out. The Olympics is one of if not the only time Womens hockey gets serious coverage.

let's put this debate to rest ..Rene faisle (sp?) was asked about this a couple of days ago and he referenced in the men's game the fact switzerland didn't beat canada for 70 years until turin and asked for patience. lol. so expect many more olympic hockey tourneys with the women's game

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
lol jillian Apps with the hit and no penalty...

5-0 ...kudos to the finns who played a disciplined defensive game and their cute goalie who played a great game and stopped like 5 breakaways

is there a Finnish Version of Maxim Magazine ? :naughty:

but seriously she played really well.

if you don't count the Canadain or U.S. goalies , she's a pretty good player.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009

This one I can understand a bit more, surely it helps. I still don't think more coverage and respect should be a factor in qualifying such a small sport as an olympic sport. Why should the coverage come before the achievement.

Making women's hockey an olympic sport is like giving Obama the Nobel peace prize and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the Norweigans who decided on the hockey as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Womens hockey took a step back this year, and it's going to be a tough road ahead for the sport. World championships aren't as visible as the olympics and the Canada/USA programs have to take a long look at how to handle the situation for self-preservation reasons.

Women's hockey right now is a bit like men's hockey in the 80's, where outside of North-America, there was only one professional national teams and few "amateur" teams. Canada and USA are basically like Soviet teams, spend most the year together, get all the ice time they want/need, professional coaching, training, conditioning, everything. Only way for the other countries to catch up, is for the other countries to have access to something like that.

Last edited:

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Oyabun
Removing it now would set them back keeping them in will help grow the sport and over time it will get better.

The ORB

May 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario, Canada
This one I can understand a bit more, surely it helps. I still don't think more coverage and respect should be a factor in qualifying such a small sport as an olympic sport. Why should the coverage come before the achievement.

Making women's hockey an olympic sport is like giving Obama the Nobel peace prize and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the Norweigans who decided on the hockey as well.

Women's Olympic hockey is going nowhere, so you better deal with it. What winter womens team sport would they replace it with? Bandy? :shakehead

The Swedes made the gold medal game last time around, this time they aren't up to it. Canada and the US are both far too strong for them. The question is what are the Swedes (and the Finns, Swiss, Slovaks, Russians etc etc) going to do about it. Right now there is intense competition between two pretty evenly matched teams for the gold and then fairly decent competition for the bronze. If those other countries want to challenge for gold they need to invest more time and resources into growing the girls game right from minor youth level through junior/college etc. Sure the North Americans can help with coaching and guidance, but ultimately the effort and commitment has to come from the host nations and it will take time.

As for the long awaited gold medal match-up. It could be an awesome game and its hard to pick a favourite. I guess it will be whoever's game adjusts quickest to suddenly playing an intense opponent again. I have a feeling goal-tending will be a key as well as both teams will create chances. I hope Canada has a very slight edge. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
What about the chicks??

Sorry if there's already a thread on this - I hadn't noticed one though.

With all this talk about the Men's hockey - especially the Canada-US game... the fact that the US & Canadian women's teams are meeting for the gold medal has kind of fallen through the cracks.

These two teams despise eachother even more than the Canada-US mens' teams do. They've even come out & said as much. I for one am looking forward to a fantastic, passion filled gold medal game that will surely be a nail-biter - as the games usually are when these two teams meet.

The US will be looking to do what they couldn't do in either 02' in Salt Lake or 06' in Torino, and Canada will be looking for an Olympic 3-peat.

FYI the game goes this Thursday @ 3:30 Vancouver time / 6:30 eastern.

Here's to a great tilt!

3971_m15.jpg

VS.

0013729e4ad9096bbc9a07.jpg

Predictions?

Last edited:

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
US didn't lose to Canada in Torino. Our gals blew it in the semifinals to Sweden.

Thursday's game should be a very good end to an otherwise pointless and horrible tournament.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
seeing how i only -know hayley wickenheiser (not even sure on spelling) from Canada, I can't give an expert prediction on this.

but im gonna say 5-4 Canada just for the hell of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad