Olympics: Women's Tournament

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
It would be better if they had a seven game series between the US and Canada.
Then even I might watch.

No I still wouldn't watch.

Well any true HOCKEY fan will be watching Canada's ladies battle America's ladies for the gold. It's going to be a great game, even better than some of the men's games so far.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
A professional league where all of these women can get together and play against each other would help, but no way anyone would want to financially back that right now.

I don't think a professional league is feasible right now.

But foreign players are playing for US women's college teams, which is giving European players the opportunity to develop.

Finland's Minttu Tuominen is a freshman at Ohio State.

The way the lower tier teams could shutdown the US or Canada is good team defense, but if they're top players are all overseas playing, it's hard to develop that type of chemistry.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
there IS a women's pro league in canada....

watching the CHINA/SWISS game.. not bad... kinda cool to see what the "lower" teams can do when not overwhelmed by the north american girls. Women's hockey will be fine... it is very much in the same early developmental stage that the men faced decades ago. A few teams jumped to the lead after hockey was introduced to the olynpics,... not really surprised that the canadians/americans are this much better...

One of the earlier poster was right, a womens league, or more girls/women from foriegn countries coming to play girls/college/women's pro would be a big benefit to the level of play...

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010

watching the CHINA/SWISS game.. not bad... kinda cool to see what the "lower" teams can do when not overwhelmed by the north american girls. Women's hockey will be fine... it is very much in the same early developmental stage that the men faced decades ago. A few teams jumped to the lead after hockey was introduced to the olynpics,... not really surprised that the canadians/americans are this much better...

One of the earlier poster was right, a womens league, or more girls/women from foriegn countries coming to play girls/college/women's pro would be a big benefit to the level of play...

I'm trying to watch it now but it's not on MSNBC or CNBC. What channel are you watching it on??

They MUST be broadcasting this game on the NBC networks since we're into the final round.

pens4life

Jan 8, 2010
Canada
the women's tournament isn't really much competition for the Canadians and Americans but for the other teams involved its good competition, every nation is building its program. And from what i have read the Chinese are getting a ton of attention in China which is unique

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico

I expect China to be a force at either the next Olympics or the one after. They send players (usually 3 per NA team) to play in the CWHL and the WWHL.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Should at least be a competitive game between SVK and China. Hopefully we can finally get the win. We´ve been up 2-1 over SUI 10 minutes before the end and I´ve been told by a person who was at the game that didn´t really have much allegiance to any team that the 2-2 Switzerland goal never actually crossed the line. Don´t know whether he was right.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Woman hockey is ... really cute ! i love it. (discovering it now with these games) ...

it is interesting ... strategic and amaaaazingly cute !

i want to marry a hockey player !

ahhh ! and by the way ... my avatar is paris hilton in hockey dress.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
They should just play the gold and bronze match from the start instead. It will always be USA - Canada in the final and Sweden - Finland in the bronze match. Why is it needed to have various countries dominated beforehand.

It's a joke to have women's hockey as an olympic sport.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
You know, the womens game might be a little bit competitive if the girls outside of the USA and Canada could learn to play defense. Their defensive aptitude is literally nil. Outside those two nations, I don't think I've seen a single player stop another player one on one. I could probably deke them out, and I have hands as soft as granite.

They still aren't likely to make huge inroads anytime soon sure, but if they pick up just a small semblance of elementary understanding in their own zone, maybe they'll only lose 4-1 and not 12-1. It would also help if these other nations didn't completely run out of gas after 10-12 minutes of a period.

Let them check as well, I think that helps significantly in exacerbating the defensive woefulness. Powerplays are awarded for simply having good body position. Apparently a lot of them would like to check, and its not like they play at a breakneck speed, so I doubt the contact will be all that regular or devastating. They're big girls, they can handle it.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
They should just play the gold and bronze match from the start instead. It will always be USA - Canada in the final and Sweden - Finland in the bronze match. Why is it needed to have various countries dominated beforehand.

It's a joke to have women's hockey as an olympic sport.

50-60 years ago it was a joke to have mens hockey as an Olympic sport, it needs time to grow.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is this game really a win for the Finnish program if this ends 4-1 or something?

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Finland is playing pretty well defensively, it's only 2-0 and Canada isn't getting many high-caliber chances (lots of shots though) and the chances they are getting, the Finland goalie looks great. I'm for leaving women's hockey in the Olympics. I think the game is still a good 8-10 years from being competitive amongst 6-7 top nations, but leaving it in is IMO the best way to get that to happen. I expect Russia to improve a lot for 2014.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
50-60 years ago it was a joke to have mens hockey as an Olympic sport, it needs time to grow.

So they should have a 50-60 year Olympic tryout to see if they can reach an acceptable womens level. Sweden is a strong country since they get to play for the Bronze each year while the majority of people couldn't give a crap if Sweden wins or loses the Bronze, beause there is absolutely no effort to get there. Destroy the smaller countries and after the loss it's the bronze game.

For all the countries outside of the top 4, it must be the most boring part of the Olympics

And 50-60 years ago, which sport wasn't a blowout between a favorite and an underdog . If we're gonna go by that argument then open the flood gates and lets incorporate a number of sports that hasn't progressed for a few decades.

I'm all for women playing hockey, but since the overall quality and competitiveness is so ridiculously low, it shouldn't be in the olympics because of political correctness. Let them in after X years when the sport has enough quality and competitiveness to be enjoyed by anyone but the players family members.

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
Canadian girls are just everywhere. Fast, tape to tape passes, active stick (to use a pierrism), this game is ending in a shutout. Could very well end 3-0 or 4-0 though with the excellent defense and goaltending from the Finns.

BenchClear

Feb 4, 2010
really looking forward to USA/Canada gold medal game should this one hold out. i think both teams could be in for a shell shock considering neither has faced any offense.

big high five for women's hockey though, some really skilled players out there.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Yes ! huge hit on the poor Fin !!

even among woman Canadians check the others :laugh:

++

these 2 teams are fast and physical ! impressive.

i saw 2 games so far ... nothing to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad