Olympics: Women's Tournament

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
You make it sound like the US had trouble with the second tier teams, which isn't true at all.

The US beat China 12-1, Russia 13-0, Finland 6-0, and Sweden 9-1.

Canada beat Slovakia 18-0, Switzerland 10-1, Sweden 13-1, and Finland 5-0.

Both teams coasted through the tournament with ease. Saying Canada is stronger because they had a bigger blowout makes no sense, especially when the Americans where noticeably letting up in the 3rd periods of games they had in hand. They could have easily run the score up more if they wanted to (they were leading against Russia 12-0 after 2 periods).

OK, maybe you caught me talking out of my ass. But after watching a couple of prelim. games, I got the impression that the US was allowing more shots on goal than they usually do. The game vs. Sweden, this was not the case, they really kept Sweden's chances to a minimum.

It's possible I only got this impression from a couple periods of the US-Finnish game. SOG clock:

us
--
61-7 chin
34-7 rus
42-23 fin
46-12 swe

can
---
67-9 slov
62-12 swi
52-13 swe
50-11 fin

Both teams should be aggressive tonight, can't wait.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
First Sweden loses to slovakia. Now to Finland!

Heck yeah!!!!! FINNISH WOMEN WIN BRONZE!!!!

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
It kind of looked like that was kicked in, but maybe I just seen it at a bad angle and it went off the Swedes stick. If it wasn't congrats to Finland, I really feel for the Sweden women though.

DaFranzenator

May 10, 2009
????
It kind of looked like that was kicked in, but maybe I just seen it at a bad angle and it went off the Swedes stick. If it wasn't congrats to Finland, I really feel for the Sweden women though.

NBC just showed the replay multiple times and it didn't just go off her skate there was definitely a distinct kicking motion. And to all the Finn fans this is coming from a unbiased view who could careless who won, so don't jump on my back.

Thainor

Feb 5, 2010
Well, Finland performed better than Sweden, so it was a well deserved medal anyways. :nod:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
NBC just showed the replay multiple times and it didn't just go off her skate there was definitely a distinct kicking motion. And to all the Finn fans this is coming from a unbiased view who could careless who won, so don't jump on my back.

I saw that same thing too, i think it shouldn't be counted.. but im SO happy it counted, and winning sweden in medal game with kicking goal like that against our rivalry is just AWESOME, even better than normal goal, and faces of owned swedes is allways priceless. =)

DaFranzenator

May 10, 2009
????
I saw that same thing too, i think it shouldn't be counted.. but im SO happy it counted, and winning sweden in medal game with kicking goal like that against our rivalry is just AWESOME, even better than normal goal, and faces of owned sweden is allways priceless. =)

Regardless congrats to Finland!:handclap:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
It was goal by Rantamäki who passed the puck. Puck hit swedes defender stick and go to the net. Clearly a legit goal, no question about it.

Yes there is 'question', it CLEARLY went in from finnish players skate.. It was so clear. Highlights going to come atleast mtv3.fi so check it there, maybe youtube too. But it was swedens own fault that they didint tell the ref to go to the phone. When your stick is played out you allways want to score and put your feet on the lane of the puck and tip it in its just what you do, theres nothing wrong.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Canada, i believe, has the opportunity to set a new national standard for gold medals in a single Olympics if they can win their 8th. I can't think of a more fitting way to accomplish that feat than by having it come from our single most productive event which is womens hockey.

Make it happen ladies.:thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad