Prospect Info: WJC's 2022 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Is this a strong USA squad?

I think they have a legit chance to repeat. Some have pointed out that they don't have last year's star power but they are very deep and have some high end studs (Sanderson, Beniers etc).

They lost to Finland in OT in the pre-tournament game but USA dominated the game. A late game 5 minute major was the difference and gave Finland a win but that wasn't in any way reflective of the play.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I think they have a legit chance to repeat. Some have pointed out that they don't have last year's star power but they are very deep and have some high end studs (Sanderson, Beniers etc).

They lost to Finland in OT in the pre-tournament game but USA dominated the game. A late game 5 minute major was the difference and gave Finland a win but that wasn't in any way reflective of the play.
Thanks!

Reactions: Schooner Guy

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
It’s crazy that Jiricek had 9 min of ice time only im the first period. Sad that it was cut short, a lot of their offense relies on his ability to find breakout passes.

Slafkovski needs to be a bit meaner around the boards, a bit too passive for now. If he show that level of physical play that Svechnikov or Tkachuk have, he will be a really good player.

Cooley had a good first.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yup, he's legit top 5. Seems comfortable out there. Made a great pass on 1st goal.

To your earlier comment..if Cooley skates better than Wright, plays better defensively and makes more plays.. then how do we rank Wright higher?

See how the rest of the tournament plays out but if Wright doesn't find his game, there might start being some questions about him going 1st

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Auston Matthews is a September birthday. Age is a factor for marginal prospects, not so much for elite of the elite.

Age is a factor for any prospect, not sure why it doesn't matter for the elite.

It's more important to factor in age at 16 than at 17, 17 to 18, etc.

I'm not talking about a 1 month difference here. 7 months is substance.

Reactions: Fenris

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
To your earlier comment..if Cooley skates better than Wright, plays better defensively and makes more plays.. then how do we rank Wright higher?

See how the rest of the tournament plays out but if Wright doesn't find his game, there might start being some questions about him going 1st

Asking myself the same questions. Cooley looks unphased. His skating is much better than Wright's. I wonder about Wright's ability to create time & space for himself at NHL level. I see no bursts of speed or drive.

Cooley's skating is elite.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
He just doesn't have McTavish's puck control or hands for passing and shooting. Not nearly as physically dominant. McT is like another Getzlaf.

Beniers is like a bigger version of Plekanec - at best.

The fact that he’s a puck hound with good skating probably made him really valuable. Players who can gain the zone with possession (like Lambert) are highly sought for in today’s NHL.

He plays a safe game, so you know he wont cost you on the defensive side. He’s a jack of all trades and an effective player without being electric.

In a redraft they would probably go for McTavish, but I can understand the pick. You get a sure fire NHL player that will probably be good for a while.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Age is a factor for any prospect, not sure why it doesn't matter for the elite.

It's more important to factor in age at 16 than at 17, 17 to 18, etc.

I'm not talking about a 1 month difference here. 7 months is substance.

It doesn't matter because Dvorsky is Salieri to Michkov's Mozart. You can wait a lot longer than 7 months, and he's not going to turn into Michkov.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Asking myself the same questions. Cooley looks unphased. His skating is much better than Wright's. I wonder about Wright's ability to create time & space for himself at NHL level. I see no bursts of speed or drive.

Cooley's skating is elite.

Watching Wright skate was a red flag. Maybe he's talented enough to overcome it though, but it's a knock. He wouldn't be 1 or 2 in the next the draft, maybe not top 3. kind of crazy.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

I love Cooley but I think posters are really jumping the gun on Wright today. He was clearly the defensive conscience on his line playing with Perfetti and Bedard. He was often hanging back in the offensive zone and he played a strong game in the defensive zone. I'm sure he's fulfilling the role his coaches want him to play and they certainly seem to trust him.

He's still 17 years old. We should never hold the output or performance of a draft year player on Team Canada against them. Toews only had two assists in the WJC in his draft year. So many great players never made Team Canada in their draft year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It doesn't matter because Dvorsky is Salieri to Michkov's Mozart. You can wait a lot longer than 7 months, and he's not going to turn into Michkov.

He's not going to turn into Michkov, but he might become more valuable than Michkov over time - that's why you have to evaluate the effect of this time (and growth momentum).

Gotta say Dvorsky is really impressive against the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad