GDT: WJC: United States Vs Slovakia | December 26th @ 7:30PM MT

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
100%. He didn't play it badly and he almost intercepted it, but just tie up the receiving player's stick. He'll learn.

Not uncommon for young dmen to overcomplicate a play like that. Thought he was good otherwise in this game.

Slaggert, Cooley, Samoskevich all had strong games for the US. Beniers and Coronato created a lot of chances, Coronato missed a couple from in tight and should have buried at least one. Berard is an impressive skater, and strong on his skates for his size.

Wasn't as impressed with the US blueline in this game generally as I was last year. Slovaks played well in the third, seemed like all their chances were Chromiak's.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
This aint it chief at all. Both performed hugely today.

If you judge them as a 17 year old kids, you are right.

If you judge them what they have done over the last 12 months at WJC, WC, HGC they played like trash.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Players that I liked today: Chromiak (overall 1st line played well), Nemec, Knazko, Slaf. That 2nd period was the worst period ever and its the main reason why we lost today.

Reactions: Pomee

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Players that I liked today: Chromiak (overall 1st line played well), Nemec, Knazko, Slaf. That 2nd period was the worst period ever and its the main reason why we lost today.
I agree, I thought Nemec was weak in first and second but better in third. Stacha for me was terrible today, trying to constantly land the big hit and getting out of position. I also liked Jedlicka, even though he had some egregious turnovers in the d zone

Reactions: Pomee

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yanks? Are you a silly English person? Can you take back Prince Harry?

To be fair for that guy, the term yank (yanks), is widely used term around the world, outside USA,
not sure is it a term that is not supposed to be used today, but i dunno.

- sorry? -

During international sports events, olympics, summer or winter, or sports generally,
our (Finnish) sports commentators, experts and what not,
usually use the term yank, or plural; yanks. (the Finnish word; Jenkki)

Sure in the media/social media, pretty much never,
nor in the news programs on TV for that matter.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
I agree, I thought Nemec was weak in first and second but better in third. Stacha for me was terrible today, trying to constantly land the big hit and getting out of position. I also liked Jedlicka, even though he had some egregious turnovers in the d zone
It wasnt Nemecs best game but hey ... he created that pass for our 2nd goal. Strbak did some bad mistakes BUT he looks much better than Cernak at his age. So there is some promise for the future.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Who I liked from each team:

Slovakia: Chromiak, Mesar, Slaf, Knazko, Latkoczy, Dvorsky. I thought Nemec didn't play his best game but still looked like a top 5-10 pick in the upcoming draft. He'll no doubt be better though as the games go on.

US: Sanderson, Commesso, Knies, Cooley, Faber, Samoskevich, Berard, Coronato.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
To be fair for that guy, the term yank (yanks), is widely used term around the world, outside USA,
not sure is it a term that is not supposed to be used today, but i dunno.

- sorry? -

During international sports events, olympics, summer or winter, or sports generally,
our (Finnish) sports commentators, experts and what not,
usually use the term yank, or plural; yanks.

Sure in the media/social media, pretty much never,
nor in the news programs on TV for that matter.

To Americans yanks are Americans from the north, or more specifically from New England, so when Americans hear the term yanks referring to all Americans it sounds goofy and wrong, but not overtly insulting. In the southern US, yank is a derisive term to describe northerners. I think most southerners would be insulted if you called them a yank. To me it just sounds stupid, like something a redneck southerner would say as an insult to a northerner. If you were my neighbor or colleague from overseas, as a favor to you I would suggest that you don't call us yanks, as it would make you look foolish.

Last edited:
Reactions: novisor

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I thought Sanderson looked super steady. Odd comment to go at him, he played well.

He was solid for sure. If that guy youre replying to is talking abut not seeing the hype from this game I kinda get it, didnt really do anything offensively.

Still definitely not a game I would bother pointing him out in, especially in a negative light

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Is Slovakia still doing the Team Orange thing or did they abandon that?

As DrPabloRamirez mentioned it's been defunct since 2019. To give some background - the original intention was for it to last only a few seasons in order to ensure that Slovakia doesn't get relegated at the WJC as the junior players back then were mostly not good enough to play in Slovak top league. The situation has changed a lot, there are around 20 u20 players playing pretty regularly and 14 u18 players have played at least one game so far this season.

Instead of the U20 team, we now have an u18 program. But it's still not like USNTDP, because the top players either play in leagues abroad or in the men's league. Therefore there is a lot of room for younger players, so they have a lot of 2005 and 2006 players on the roster this season.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Thought the Slovak goalie was the star of the game.
USA has tons of pace. They need to bury more chances. I think they will be fine.
I also was expecting more from Hughes. He was clearly over matched, looked lost most of the time. Unless he turns that around, I expect limited ice time against the better teams.

Majkee11

Apr 3, 2021
Slovakia was dominating this game apart from 10 minutes in 2nd period...very unfortunate that we havent translated our chances in more goals...Americans were not convincing at all, struggled during the whole match and were helped having PPs which saved their victory...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Simon Latkoczy is a good goalie. Held his own on quite a few US onslaughts throughout the game.
Yeah honestly did well to keep Slovakia in it during the 2nd period. Very easily could have been 5-0 after 2nd if not for his efforts.

Slovaks had a good 1st and 3rd, but the US forecheck was just too much for them.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
To Americans yanks are Americans from the north, or more specifically from New England, so when Americans hear the term yanks referring to all Americans it sounds goofy and wrong, but not overtly insulting. In the southern US, yank is a derisive term to describe northerners. I think most southerners would be insulted if you called them a yank. To me it just sounds stupid, like something a redneck southerner would say as an insult to a northerner. If you were my neighbor or colleague from overseas, as a favor to you I would suggest that you don't call us yanks, as it would make you look foolish.
Lol, I’m going to educate the world on the sensitivities of the word Yank (it’s always capitalized btw) by utilizing the word redneck in my example.

Reactions: Dominance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was solid for sure. If that guy youre replying to is talking abut not seeing the hype from this game I kinda get it, didnt really do anything offensively.

Still definitely not a game I would bother pointing him out in, especially in a negative light

This is fair but for all of the hype some have been praising on him, he looked very good not great on a day when Power and Edvinsson looked like superstars.

It's only a game and it certainly wasn't a poor one or even average but it didn't show superstar either.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yeah, I thought Sanderson looked super steady. Odd comment to go at him, he played well.

well said

He was flawless. Lmao about not seeing the hype. Literally flawless. Slovaks rarely attacked his side. Not once successful, and he controlled the puck better than any US dman in offensive zone.

Just look at this:

:35
2:17
6:42
31:15
31:30
34:10
42:19
49:38
54:19… wow
1:01:35
1:01:45
1:04:27… clinic
1:07:35 wow
1:08:18 brilliant

I didn’t see the Neidermeyer comparisons, but now I do.

there’s a reason why Sanderson played most minutes to shutdown arguably best team Canada team ever in gold medal game.

Reactions: adsfan

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is fair but for all of the hype some have been praising on him, he looked very good not great on a day when Power and Edvinsson looked like superstars.

It's only a game and it certainly wasn't a poor one or even average but it didn't show superstar either.

Another ridiculous post. Look at mine above. Everyone is trying to get their shots in on Sanderson before he proves his worth in the NHL. It’s the same group of posters too, not surprising trying to push their agenda.

No idea what people get from downplaying Sanderson to make their own guy appear better.

“Not great” loooool. Clueless opinions with no evidence, Mr. stat.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
well said

He was flawless. Lmao about not seeing the hype. Literally flawless. Slovaks rarely attacked his side. Not once successful, and he controlled the puck better than any US dman in offensive zone.

Just look at this:

:35
2:17
6:42
31:15
31:30
34:10
42:19
49:38
54:19… wow
1:01:35
1:01:45
1:04:27… clinic
1:07:35 wow
1:08:18 brilliant

I didn’t see the Neidermeyer comparisons, but now I do.

there’s a reason why Sanderson played most minutes to shutdown arguably best team Canada team ever in gold medal game.

I watched the first 5 or 6 time stamps you posted. All really good plays, I never once said he wasnt great defensively. The question is about his offense when you see who hes being hyped beside. Go through any of the games from yesterday and you can pick out highlights like that for the top dmen on different teams, but also find plays of them creating offense that Sanderson wasnt really doing yesterday.

Like I said, he was really good but theres a lot of guys that were really good yesterday. If the USA has a chance at winning this thing, Sanderson is going to have to create more from the backend than he did yesterday though

Reactions: wetcoast

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I watched the first 5 or 6 time stamps you posted. All really good plays, I never once said he wasnt great defensively. The question is about his offense when you see who hes being hyped beside. Go through any of the games from yesterday and you can pick out highlights like that for the top dmen on different teams, but also find plays of them creating offense that Sanderson wasnt really doing yesterday.

Like I said, he was really good but theres a lot of guys that were really good yesterday. If the USA has a chance at winning this thing, Sanderson is going to have to create more from the backend than he did yesterday though

Agreed to an extent. Context is important, though. USA was in control from the start. Sanderson didn’t need to go beast mode offensively unlike Canada trailing to the Czech and scrambling defensively in few shifts early. This is a much weaker USA team offensively, being up 3-0 they didn’t need Sanderson to create more than what he was already doing. I feel like USA 'this year will lean on their defensive prowess and suffocate teams with their skating and 2 way game. Thus, Sanderson won’t need to appear as explosive offensively. He played 4 minutes more than any other US skater, and was flawless against a team many predicted to upset USA. Being up 2-0 early, they did need him to be impenetrable in neutral and defensive zones, which he was. If USA needs offensin've Sanderson, we’ll see it.

Look at 1:04 stamp among others, he was controlling the puck at will in offensive zone.

I won’t lie, he has been less offensively involved than what I seen in College this year, but still absolutely terrific, which a lot of posters are making it seem like he was underwhelming. If that play in 1:04 led to an assist, none of these posts would be here.

What we saw last night was Scott Neidermeyer on NJD type impact and dictation.

Slovaks couldn’t enter the zone from his side… AT ALL.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Another ridiculous post. Look at mine above. Everyone is trying to get their shots in on Sanderson before he proves his worth in the NHL. It’s the same group of posters too, not surprising trying to push their agenda.

No idea what people get from downplaying Sanderson to make their own guy appear better.

“Not great” loooool. Clueless opinions with no evidence, Mr. stat.

Great is different that very good or do you really think Sanderson looked as good as the other 2 guys on the day?

You are one of the guys proclaiming Sanderson as a godsend so maybe you can tone down the Kool-Aid a bit if he doesn't look like the best Dman in the world for his age group on a day.

Anyone who doesn't share your views seem to live rent free in your head, give it a rest you mind find some epace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad